Art: Decorative pole theme explorations!

Now it’s just harder to not give enough love to any of the new concepts. I’m gonna be trying then all.

1 Like

Hmm… elvish, dwarvish, oortian, gem… I’m getting very strong WoW Alliance vibes here, oortian looks gnomish and gem looks draenic! How about a little love FOR THE HORDE!?

Seriously though, some bone or ivory pillars could have a nice tribal (cough-orkish-cough!) aesthetic, and I think would fit nicely with the tribal theme of boundless’s primitive people (as well as provide some additional use for this massive pile of bones I have in storage). Totem poles would compliment this aesthetic well, too!

I’d love to see some of these poles have head attachments for banners as well, just a thought :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It’s like saying that WoW was first to have dwarves, elves and all in their lore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’d say it’s Tolkien Alliance or general fantasy genre. What matters is that used adjectives most likely reflect general experience of most players and their thinking patterns :grin:

To be fair, these are the styles most people attempt to emulate. That said, Elven styles were always a tough one in Minecraft, due to their twists, curves and elegant architecture - there’s nothing elegant about square blocks.

Boundless gets around this nicely with it’s sloped blocks, specular lighting and clever little effects that give depth to certain block types (even though they’re techinically still square faced)

I think Boundless could lend itself rather nicely to these styles. I just hope these assets are slightly generic, so people aren’t pigeon holed into building Elven cities, Dwarven mines, Oort space stations and Dalaran.

1 Like

I’d go draenai all the way, very very cool designs

My last sky island was very Draenei inspired - at least the colour scheme.

I for one absolutely Adore the new theme for the poles, it leaves a lot of options for building! Like if you wanted to go for a more natural fairytale cottage type home the twisty branch type would go beautifully. Or if you wanted a cool laboratory, or maybe a more primitive structure. They look so dang cool~

2 Likes

metal pole i need

Question- what is it that you guys use to model? and texture?

We use ZBrush, Maya and Photoshop for our 3D work. ZBrush for high-poly sculpts, Maya for the game meshes and Photoshop for the textures.

5 Likes

im guessing you also bake the high textured versions onto low poly after they are made though? okay i was just wondering because i am just starting to use Substance Painter for texturing still need to get my zbrush licence but ill be doing it after the Wold Skills Competition in June

Yes. I usually make a blockout mesh in Maya to get the proportions/scale right, then take that into ZBrush to add the detail I want, bring it back into Maya to retopo, then bake normals/AO in xNormal and use those as the basis for textures.

3 Likes

I love them all! we need them in game ASAP! :grin:

2 Likes

These all look awesome - being a miner at heart, I want the Dwarven ones to go in a massive undercity! I’m hoping they will blend well together, so we can mix-and-match with complimentary materials etc.

3 Likes

the problem with massive undercities is that you need massive empty spaces, hard to get without infinite plots. but Stretch, you’ll make your massive dwarven city, and i’ll build my massive tree next to it and it will look cool as heck

1 Like

Or a little help from the world builder :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One little question cann’t let me chill: why here rammed soil and ceramic poles was not represented between wood, stone, metal and gleam variants?

I am going to be greedy and just say I want it all.

I just don’t know what projects I’ll be doing and in what biome or theme that will need different decoration themes to suit my needs.

Anyways, looks good!

1 Like

These are the old designs for the poles. The more updated selection can be seen here

We wanted to focus on making a clear category of material distinction for the poles. Ceramic and soil doesn’t immediately come off as wood, stone, metal and gleam. But there is also a misc category that may include those in a later date.

3 Likes

It’s cute :+1: Thank you,