Art: Hunter (fast)

I like 13 the most, reminds me of the those bugs things from avatar the last airbender, is there a surface they cant climb up upon like ice?

1 Like

Is that the ones in the canyon that were attracted to food? Yeah they were cool

14 could be something that swims through the desert.

I completely overlooked #2 It’s also really cool :smiley:

If it ends up being number 13 just the sound of it rubbing its jaws against each other. :slight_smile:

I really like 13 and 5. If number 14 and 11 have squirrel like movements it goes on my list too.

As said before 4 is awesome bu it does not look agile enough to go as a hunter.

10 looks more like a small creature that could go with basic melee hunter 3 and 5 from earlier:

I like 10 but…chase us up trees and structures??? u are taking our last refuge from scary beasts away? we seriously need better weapons and combat then!!

:anguished: :scream:

1 Like

I like 5 the best since he seems the most agile or stalking and climbing. Something like 4 doesn’t seem like it would make too much sense since it’s so bulky.

Oy. The more of this stuff there is in the game, the less I want to play. Are you sure this is called “Boundless” and not “PouncedOn?”

Pretty cool ideas! I like 10 and 13 the most.

1 Like

15 then 1 then 2 then 5 then 7

Would you prefer undead hordes? Explosive green phallic monsters? Slender men?

3 Likes

Imagines Corrupted Form

5 Likes

Looks really cool,I like the idea a lot.
But not necessarily sure what you mean by up trees,like they’ll climb trees and try to kill you.

Is going to climb wall and tree with some limitation off course. Players can still escape with the amazing grappling hook.
Anyway, the creature is under development at the moment. We didn’t test game play and balance yet. Can’t wait for it :sunglasses:

7 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Before we get creatures like this in the game could we get some actual combat skills for our avatars?

2 Likes

I’d prefer nothing at all. I live in Florida. We have alligators, bears, panthers, and wild boar here. (And poisonous snakes, coyotes, bobcats, and rabid raccoons.) Somehow, when I go out to the Ocala National Forest or Highlands Hammock State Park (or DeLeon Springs, or Lake Woodruff Wildlife Refuge), I don’t end up running for my life from the predation of indigenous lifeforms.

I was hoping for a paradigm shift when I first saw this game. Exploration, building, perhaps a certain amount of necessary conflict driven by story, but not the usual “careful, or you’ll be slain by a rat the moment you walk out the door” stuff coupled with Fedex missions to retrieve the hind hooves of 174 giraffe-analogs in order to win a new pair of socks. We’ve been doing that sort of thing since 1999.

While I get that the entire genre has nothing in common with being realistic, there are two things that have always bothered me about them.

1. A rat can’t kill me. In the battle between rat and me, I win, even if I’m unarmed. I’m 5’11", 210#, and the rat isn’t. The game genre seems to think, however, that is is not only possible, but likely that the rat would take me out. It’s the opposite of fun, and if I want the opposite of fun, I could just go spend time with some insurance agents.

2. The environments have too many apex predators. I was once in a D&D campaign where there were so many robbers along the roads it wouldn’t have been possible for anyone to get into town with loot–not even the last guys in line, because there’d have been nothing left to take. The bad guys would have just been hoarding all the jewels and treasures (which couldn’t be eaten or otherwise used) out in the woods somewhere, with no nope of ever converting them to fungible assets. My pointing it out to the dungeon master did not make me popular–but I have lots of better things to do than be popular. When this next creature shows up, we’ll have two hunter/killer animals in the field and only one grazer. (I note in passing that the spitters, and probably the hunters, will ignore the goorts entirely in favor of attacking us. Um…) That’s not usually how it works in nature. One could argue that the distributing of creature types was bio-engineered to be that way on purpose, but within the story-line, that would make those bio-engineers a bunch of a–holes, and I’d like to think they weren’t. (This is distinct from the notion that the dev team might be a bunch of you-know-whats because they’re not. It’s the genre, not the team, that enforces this.)

Hanging by my grappling rope until the Bad Thing gets bored (if it gets bored) and goes away is also the opposite of fun. I suppose I could have a phone conversation with my insurance agent while I wait.

Before we get more predators, we ought to start getting some skills. If I’m going to be facing off against two sorts of predator types, I’d like to have some predator skills myself. What we have right now (tools and slingbows) isn’t enough against the likes of what’s coming.

Another thought: the spitters shouldn’t be able to shoot indefinitely. That’s body mass they’re depleting. Eventually they’ll have to go off and accrete more projectiles (or whatever it is they do) before continuing. If I can run out of arrows, the spitter ought to run out of loogies. (It’s the little things, y’know?)

6 Likes

Isn’t the rats you fight in games often in the size of a dog? Because if I ever meet a rat that size I would probably loose.

Your DM should have gone with existing scenarios instead of making his own it seem, a good scenario creates a reason for the large amount of enemies instead of just creating hordes of bandits randomly wandering past the player.

Therefore creatures that can attack you while hanging from said grappling hook :slight_smile:

Now we don’t know how many of those are actually predetors some of them is probably just very territorial herbivores ^.^

I like this idea, it shouldn’t take to much time but it would be cool if the spitters would stop up from time to time to collect amunition.

They have pressented tons of predators already, this doesn’t necesarily mean that they are going to add these hunters right now, it just means that they have the art for them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking back on some of the original concept drawings, it looked like the idea behind the spitters was that they actually picked up projectiles from the ground… not sure if this is still the case though.

I think the difference here is that these are alien worlds, which the player is effectively exploring, so there will always be the potential for conflict, at least until you become more established. Just because humans are the dominant species here, it doesn’t necessarily mean that is the way it would be should we ever travel to other worlds.

With regards to creatures, from what I can ascertain from previous posts, not all creatures will be on all worlds - it’s just in pre-alpha that this is the case so the devs can get a broader spread for testing and bug reporting etc.

2 Likes

In addition to what @Thorbjorn42gbf wrote (which I agree with to 83% :smile:):

The devs already mentioned that we wont get any NPC fetch quests, so all the killing you are going to do will be most likely to get resources you need and not for some quest items.

I agree with you on that one. I also hope that we will get a more realistic distribution of aggressive/carnivore and passive/herbivore creatures than in other games (Minecraft)

Definitely. There is absolutely no use in adding more creatures (especially aggressive ones) if there is no sort of fighting mechanic implemented and all you can do is smash you LMB or run for your live and occasionally place a shot. (which is kinda tolerable while fighting a range creature but will turn into a nightmare once melee creatures attack you)

Disagree with you on that one though. In some gameplay-elements realism is appropriate but I don´t think ammunition for creatures is one of them. I´d rather see the devs spending time on improving the fighting AI than adding a “ammunition searching” sequence.

2 Likes