Art: New creature concept and rig page

Sounds pretty cool, this might be slightly off topic, but do you guys go for realistic or funny on character models? for example if you got rolled over would you just get knocked down or could you consider making it like really cartoony where you are all flattened out and then jumps back up again whole. i can understand why you would keep it realistic though if that is the case :smiley:

1 Like

Oooh good question. Basically we consider the character of the creature itself to breathe as much personality as possible to give it an identity. The Road Runner above is more of a flamboyant teaser - much like peacocks and other such birds but will also be one of the fastest creatures in the game(like the Ostrich). Like the cartoon road runner - it wouldn’t be out of place to have a few funny moments with him and it should be a tough capture… for example perhaps you could you use the sandbox to set a trap? :slight_smile: Other creatures will be more alien like and others predatory, mysterious and dangerous. Above all though, there is a style to the characters of Oort/Boundless and we consider the sandbox as the ultimate arena. Future creatures aim to use the sandbox to the best effect - ie perhaps you could push the volatile ball like creature to roll down slopes so it can be extinguished into a lake? Just ideas we’re exploring right now anyway… the world is boundless… lol. :smiley:

5 Likes

This is something i would love to see, please make the different areas affect how you fight and what you can do (grass, water, rock, snow) so many games let you cast fireballs and lightning under water and if you are on fire you cant get it turned out by jumping into the water, those are some of the things i would love to see in Oort, not necessarily a creature that is practically invincible unless you can get it into a lake, but something that will greatly weaken it if you do certain things (an example might be the ball creature when it rolls, if you dodge it enough it will stop rolling and be ‘‘fatigued’’ meaning it moves much slower and takes more dmg, so when you fight it, it is recommended that you just keep dodging until the time is right, rather than its just a sort of ‘‘stab stab stab’’ until it is dead)

1 Like

Great ideas there Zouls - I’m always inspired by the people on this forum. Certainly we’re definitely trying to think along those lines to balance the melee creatures with puzzles, traps and environmental spontaneity behaviours to make the world richer and fun to play.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Wait, could it be possible to use that rig or a similar rig to create a six legged creature? A behemoth meat tank that treads across the land, or maybe give it six wings, as a creature that lazily flies through the air. Maybe you could even build on there backs, by attaching a special saddle or harness to it. You could use it for six finned water beasts, with the ability to dart around quickly underwater. Still, i love the idea of Dragons and Drakes, but there is a lot more you can do with something like this.

1 Like