Art: New Creatures (Exploding Hopper and Ground Basher)

You got it! Our little performance cleaner… :smiley:

5 Likes
  1. does it literally eat torches
  2. will they go for torches

if both 1 and 2 are yes

1. how high can they jump?

I would love to just place torches a bit too high for them to reach and you can just see them jumping after it constantly xD

2 Likes

This was a bit of a Spoiler from our Creature lists :flushed: but … yes. We got a creature that eats torches but his behaviour is under development at the moment and i can’t reveal too much now or they are going to use the Ground Basher on me… :cry:

7 Likes

Why do you have to keep things like a creature list secret?

1 Like

Secret is probably the wrong word. Is Under Development and not ready to share with the world :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, I see.
But couldn´t you just give us a list of code names so we can play the guessing game? :smile:

If I may suggest something:
How about an alternative version of the exploding hopper that, instead of having the red/orange lava theme, has an Oortian theme (violet/pink highlights with Oortian glpyhs on the body) that instead of “just” blowing up stuff randomly scrambles all blocks inside the ‘explosion’ radius. Like this:

Before:

After:

The effect could trap player inside the structure so they would have to dig themselves out. To avoid block generation “inside” the player he/she could receive a good bit of damage if a block is generated on the location of a player instead of generating said block.

8 Likes

Here’s what I think about the Exploding Hoppers

1. because I think this would make them the MOST interesting
    and
  2. to distinguish them from Creepers

I think they should start out looking like #4
then as they are going to explode they look like #10
after the explosion they look like #7

Idealy they would drop some common loot in stage #4
but the GOOD/RARE loot they can drop only drops when they look like #10, which it only for about a second or so right before they detonate.
the #7 stage drops nothing
so you’d have to choose:

• accept the common loot by killing them quick
  • or hold off a bit and risk dying for the rare loot
  • and failing to get it do you kill it for safety?
  • or wait till it rearms itself and try again
3 Likes

This is a really cool idea. It’s the “vortex mixer” or the “voxel inverter” or something. Love it. :high_heel: :five:

4 Likes

This could also be a good idea for the Ground Pounder

I thought about “matter clutter(er)” or “matter disruptor”.

2 Likes

Just “disruptor”

Edit: these creatures are atomicly unstable as a result of passing through a portal they were not attuned to. The detonation reflects this scrabble atomic property.

2 Likes

Fun fun fun! Thanks for posting!

1 Like

11 is my fave…he looks pissed and i love the cracks in his back like he is soo cranky, one misstep will have him explode!

:nysurprise:

EDIT: OH! also when he explodes, he spews out spores or eggs to make more little guys? and maybe have them scatter so they can crawl in a hole to grow up nice and cranky :wink:

4 Likes

The exploding hopper model is looking great! Also the ground basher is an interesting concept, I’m interested for when it gets modeled.

1 Like

This looks really good,I love the Groung smasher look. And I’d put one eye on the Hopper.
But Great good!!! Keep it up

1 Like

Awesome idea! Yeah we’re certainly playing with the next creature actively engaging the sandbox…and hopefully creating some scaling variety too! :smile:

2 Likes

That makes sense. Because exploding would definitely not be an evolutionary advantage.

3 Likes

Might be explainable (spreads eggs/children? Maybe we become unknowing hosts. …and now we’re a sci-fi horror game :P)

This might be a little info to think about.
It’s how creepers spread.

I imagine this creature hopping up, tucking in its ligaments, and doing a sonic suicide dash attack.

1 Like