Atlas should hide plotted resources

There might be a technical reason it’s not like this, but I’ll go anyway.

If a resource has been plotted, it shouldn’t show on the atlas when looking for that resource. Even if you do have permissions to destroy it, it can’t regenerate after it’s been destroyed, so why would you use the atlas to find these one-shot plants or seams?

Also gleam in the atlas, pretty please :blush:

6 Likes

I remember seeing this a while back. I agree though but James touched on why it’s not possible in this post and the one below.

I read that more as in “it’d require work” rather than “it’s not possible” :thinking:

2 Likes

Would save me some trips of going to plant hotspots only to find someone plopped down 300 plots :grimacing:

2 Likes

This would be so helpful, especially when mining and someone plotted the entire hotspot.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

from a code perspective: it’s totally possible, and wouldnt actually need a large amount of work.
from a design perspective on whether we’d want to do that or not: ???

4 Likes

Give players the choice when you are unsure which is better. Options are always good.

having both would increase load/ram on the server keeping double the number of resource maps maintained, increase bandwidth overall on double the requests, and also mean further designer on how to have the user be able to choose which etc…

He might have meant as poll the players to see which way they’d prefer and go with the majority. Though I can’t completely agree with that since not everyone who plays pays attention to the forms or even come on them. Would be great if you could poll us in game that way everyone who plays can get a vote.

Runescape polls the playerbase in-game and it’s awesome, they’ve been happy with it.

But on topic, is there a reason you might want to see plotted resources?

Then maybe they can both be fused into the same map, but layered such that on the client side, the client can pick apart which layers the client wants to view. It would be one map but with a little extra data to define which parts are part of what layer.

Or doses this do absolutely nothing to reduce memory use? I am curious, How much memory does your servers use?

But in my opinion, if we are only allowed to have one, then I would prefer to see it left as is, People can hold a 2nd atlas in the other hand with a warp augment loaded in and compare the two side by side and get an idea of which areas might be at risk of not being able to be collected.

Probably doesn’t help with the memory usage since the heatmaps would still have to be kept up to date for both versions.

Maybe those who have them plotted would like to know where abouts they are so they can mine/gather them? I don’t know how other players play. Nor will I assume I know how everyone plays or wants.

That’s why I asked, since there’s probably a case where it’d be useful to see the plotted resources. I can’t come up with any but somebody else might.

And I was thinking only the blocks that are beaconed wouldn’t show, reserved would. So the resources that can’t regenerate after being collected would be hidden. Do people often plot an area and then go looking for the resources, with an atlas, that they plotted?

This doesn’t work always, there are some big areas that have been plotted in the air to reserve it and actually meant to be farmed below. After all there’s only one axis on the atlas.

If in the extremely unlikely event we ever get very contained rare Resources, Similar to how the black glass used to be, Then I can see it happening as a form of denial, as i think you can cover a modest amount of ground by spam ploting, then picking the resources, But I can really only see extremely competitive players maybe trying to do this, who want to ensure they themselves collect it all.

Otherwise I am not sure why someone would do this at this time.

Once upon a time there was a player that would plot a hot spot and go mine it and leave it plotted. But I’m talking about within the first few months of live. I haven’t seen him or his plots in quite a while. I’m not sure if other people do that or not as I have my mining spots and don’t go anywhere else to mine.