Auto left action trigger issue

I will try to rule out more variables in a few days. I have a new laptop on the way already and that will give me two machines to try on which can help me test more hardware-based explanations

@dave I tried to reproduce this morning by rebinding my action key to a keyboard key and I can’t reproduce the issue. Putting the binding back to mouse makes the bug reproduceable.

My mouse is a Razer Naga Left-Handed Edition so you can see why I’m reticent to be the crash test dummy for something mouse-specific. I closed the Razer Synapse program and verified that my custom mappings in that software no longer apply. I could still reproduce the bug. I don’t have another brand of mouse to see if it’s driver related.

edit: Here is my mouse driver

This happens to me I just thought it was a server issue where it gets confused

Happens to me too…

With and Without a Razer mouse… could be a synapse thing though…

Yea blew the roof off my house a few times because of this.

Same here. Usually when closing a tab too quickly. I use Esc so it isn’t just the inventory button

1 Like

I think we have 2 bugs here… @a13o is seeing one and I think everyone else is seeing another. Maybe we can get one of these Razer left-handed mice. Hopefully, the bugs both have the same cause and fixing one will fix the other.

1 Like

I don’t use a razer mouse

@dave I’ve made a tiny bit of progress on this issue. I got my new laptop set up with Boundless and also borrowed a second mouse from a friend (a Razer Deathadder Chroma). Here is what I’ve found so far.

I can not reproduce this issue on the new laptop. I can’t do it with the trackpad, with the Chroma mouse, or with my Lefty mouse. Game works fine. I never installed any Razer software or drivers. The mice are all using the default drivers provided by Microsoft.

On my desktop I can reproduce the issue using both the Chroma mouse and the Lefty mouse.

I think this rules out that my lefty hardware is specifically the cause of the issue. And Boundless alone doesn’t seem to be to blame either. The problem is unfortunately in the worst part, the part in the middle :stuck_out_tongue:

I will keep playing with it tonight… my next steps are to install Razer drivers on the new laptop and see if I can get it reproduceable there. The very last thing I want to try is completely uninstalling and reinstalling Razer software on my desktop. We may lose the reproduction case (and only get a hint of the true cause) so I’m saving this for last resort. But all this should serve to rule out that mouse drivers or mouse software are the issue.

@a13o what CPUs do your test machines have? I’m curious about threading.

@dave is it possible there’s some race condition when shift clicking between the shift release and the click release where some state object is getting updated at the same time by both? Maybe the shift release is taking said object, updating it and writing it back, but just before it writes back the click release updates it and writes it back. Then the shift release writes back with the click still down in its version of the object?

Is it possible to provide a version with excessive logging in it that we can play with? I see this issue at least a couple times a day. I mean yeah it’s hard to repro but a bunch of us are indeed able to see it somewhat regularly and could help.

1 Like

Did you try reinstalling boundless yet? Or maybe dowload and install it to another location on your drive.

@dave Alright! Repro’ed it on new laptop.

I ruled out all the drivers and razer software possibilities. Moved onto windows mouse settings. The bug is reproduceable when your windows primary button is set to Right.

With that setting, I can repro easily by holding down a mouse button while exiting the menu. Set it back to Left, the bug is gone. You can alt tab out to change the setting, no need to restart Boundless.

Works on both my desktop and my laptop. But I couldn’t get it to work with the trackpad. It had to be a mouse.

I’ve remapped my setup so that I can leave this setting on Left from now on.

2 Likes

I could reproduce this immediately with that change. Good find!

1 Like

Cool yeah that works… :smiley: now to find how the inputs are getting messed up…

1 Like

Idk if a fix have been push for that but this is still happening frequently and pretty annoying.

Could it be a desync issue that is happening while transferring item or opening inventory menu ?

IT seems there is not really a pattern for this.

1 Like

I agree this thing happens to me too. Happens more often while I’m working on blocks due to going into inventory often. And yea, I use esc to exit menus. Using a corsair mouse.

I think it has to do with the timing or order of which buttons are pressed and released…
Like if one is pressed and then a 2nd is pressed before the first one released… but it has to happen quickly for this bug to occur.

I also experience this at least once every couple of days. I have not been able to intentionally reproduce it, either :(.

1 Like

I thought it’s only me experiencing this.
I almost made a big hole in my base cos of this while holding diamond aoe hammer :sweat_smile:

Forgot to unarm my mining gear a couple of days ago and made a nice hole in my workshop. Usually happens after sticking stuff in storage.

1 Like