I wanted to take some time to discuss the state of game balance within Boundless, including some areas we are currently looking at and how we’ll be adjusting balance throughout the games development.
Firstly, Boundless is a released game and we’re proud to have reached that milestone, but that does not mean development is finished; for us this is just the beginning of a new phase in the games life. We’ll be working on new features, bug fixes and balance for years to come and we’re really excited to watch the game continue to grow and evolve.
Balance is an integral part of the development cycle and will be an ongoing process as we continue to add to and improve Boundless. We’ll be making changes based on a mix of data we receive from the game itself, and feedback from the community; some adjustments will make the game more difficult and others will make it easier, with the overall goal of making each element of the game just as enjoyable and rewarding as the next. This doesn’t mean we’re always going to hit the mark with every change, that’s why it’s called balance - it’s quite literally a balancing act which may require a certain amount of fine tuning to get to the right place.
With all of this in mind, we need to do a better job of communicating and discussing changes with you guys. We know some of the changes in Release 199 and 201 haven’t gone down super well with some players, and while it’s impossible to please everyone, we can at the very least give a little notice and open up a discussion with everyone about some of our plans.
So starting here, we want to let you guys know a little bit about some of the main balance issues we’ve identified with your help:
- Silver and Gold tools are currently not worth the investment, and many people stick to Iron.
- Titanium tools are difficult to make, and do not stack up against Gem versions.
- Bomb mining effectiveness was reduced, and is closer to where it should be, but we may have gone too far the other way. We’re looking at stepping back in the balance, but in such a way as to not make it OP again.
- Diamond tools and weapons are perceived to be better than the other gem types. We are looking at how to bring the others in-line.
- Higher level meteorites are not worth the risk and time investment compared to doing more lower level meteorites.
We’re not certain how or when we will address these issues, but they are being discussed within the studio at the moment and we hope to be including fixes within the next few releases.
So while we are in the process of working out exactly what to do with these balance issues, we wanted to throw it to you guys and see what you think as well.