Beacon footfall: is it too low? poll

totaly agree only thing what if someone decides to unannex and is the middle off a city? splitting it in half i see the tactics on release can be quit agressive
it means more great players but also more trolls and leechers

1 Like

I donā€™t see the problem with that example. If somebody not part of the city claim in the middle of the city, yes itā€™s a problem and he split it in half. But it doesnā€™t mean city need to auto annex stuff as a band aid. If heā€™s not part of the city heā€™s not part of the city. Actually the annexation give him more reasons to claim in the middle of it, for the footfall.
Weā€™ve seen problems with cities annexing stuff a bunch of times already. It get solved peacefully now because weā€™re a small community. But as you said, at release there will be more trolls and tactics can be more aggressive.

Being part of a settlement need to be opt in. Itā€™s a simple fix and it just makes sense and always should have been this way. It solves all that drama of annexation, leaching, and all that. Towns that want other people to join in always have active mayors that can be reached easily to make the merging. I even think that mayor shouldā€™t be by highest prestige, but the one person everybody chose to merge to. So that there canā€™t be stupid prestige battle on that front either. And let prestige battles stay for capital battles.

@ElfMarine your second solution is too easily exploitable. You can just stack all your stuff in a beacon until you get the feat, remove the beacon, rinse and repeat. Would be boring but still a big exploit.
Your first solution sound good though.

2 Likes

I there was going to be a market for people wanting others to build for them it would have already happened. There have been occasions where people have asked for something to be built, but it certainly has not been nearly the volume that would be required to provide a source of coin for everyone that wants to be a builder. More often it is someone wanting to pay to have an area cleared and even that is not every day. More people when we reach 1.0 might mean more volume but it also means more builders. I do not think this is viable and I see no evidence in the game so far to make me think otherwise.

People that invest in infrastructure like roads and portals should have a way to generate coin just like the person that built a store. What do you suggest? In the real world, this is done with taxes for roads and infrastructure. Footfall is one way to do this and is already in the game. Is it really worth the time to have the developers come up with something else?

I do agree with you on absorbing other peopleā€™s builds. Any build over a certain size/prestige should be able to opt in or opt out of becoming part of a settlement.

1 Like

I personally donā€™t mind the footfall as for me it just shows if I had some visitors while Iā€™ve been away, the amount thatā€™s generated on my builds are minimal so itā€™s not really about the coin. Perhaps the amount of footfall should be connected to the number of players in a settlement/city, the more citizens the more coin. This will be an incentive to opt in to joining a settlement. If someone annexes themselves within a city then they will receive less footfall coin. The opting in and out of a city could perhaps take 24/48 hours so people canā€™t switch back and forth at the drop of a hat. Maybe another incentive to join/remain within a settlement is beacon fuel lasts slightly longer, some sort of percentage increase based on the number of players (not prestige or number of beacons).

What I have been after is something that rewards building equally no matter where a player builds. That is a reward for building. Footfall is basically just a reward for plot location. Make one plot in the right location and fill it beneath the surface with high ā€œprestigeā€ value items and you make a decent amount of coin the way things are. That takes no building skills and doesnā€™t require constant building to generate income. Footfall essentially has zero to do with building and doesnā€™t reward amazing builders such as @anon73404375 as the best and most artistic builders tend to stay out of cities. Shopkeepers are the ones that tend to go to cities and they are already rewarded with sales. Builders currently have no reward really unless they go in a city (most likely to open a shop rather than be a builder for the joy of building). Iā€™m no builder as I donā€™t have the skills or artistic brain for it. I struggle along and do better than many. However, I do nothing that deserves a reward no matter where I place it. Sales I could do no problem as long as in a city. What we need are rewards that apply equally no matter where a person chooses to locate. With footfall, sales, mayors, etc. city life is rewarded very well already. People outside of large communities donā€™t have incomes other than feats, daily and weekly rewards, etc. unless they are miners/gatherers that sell to large shops in cities or go build a shop in a city. People outside of cities Iā€™m sure outnumber those inside. Even if outside but you build close to a city (or the city expands to near your former isolated place) then the city builders accuse you of leaching income off them so you have to move to keep from being accused. We need fairness no matter where the location people choose. Most of us just have to accept we donā€™t have an income other than feats and bonuses that everyone gets. No matter how rich the city dwellers get, the majority will still stay out of cities and under the current system be far poorer than the city dwellers. Thats okay with most of us, but, itā€™s annoying to have the city dwellers that make the most income constantly complaining they donā€™t make enough from footfall while those outside of cities rarely get any footfall and of course donā€™t have sales and wonā€™t be getting tax when that is implemented either.

2 Likes

I always wanted a way to create locations where you could charge an entrance feeā€¦

2 Likes

I think some where on these forums I voiced an opposing opinion of this. But thinking about it now I think this should be allowed simply cause I can see people making amusement parks with the slide block and portal conduit on the same world or maybe a select few that doesnā€™t have high blinksec costs.

:beer:

Since I just got tagged and my attention was suddenly pulled back to this threadā€¦

I can say that I picked my spot with no eye toward earning money off of it, and Iā€™ve been OK with that ever since. When people DID start showing up and generating footfall, it felt more like an early birthday present than a paycheck. I picked the spot based on three factors:

1. Topographyā€¦ It was one of 6 locations Iā€™d bookmarked, and it was just the best for what I wanted to do.

2. Relative proximity to The Hiveā€¦ Cuz when someone already HAS 10 portals, why reinvent the wheel?

3. Relative isolation of Epsiloā€¦ When portals werenā€™t a thing and Epsilo was hard to get to, the odds of someone building a crappy mud hut next to me were incredibly low. I was OK with that.

I donā€™t remember when footfall first got implemented, but it never crossed my mind either before or after.

That being saidā€¦ I suppose I could put in a ā€œgift shopā€? Maybe sell you a wildly overpriced 100c lump of Soft Coal as a souvenir from your trip? And some other big-money folks have floated the idea of sponsoring future projects, so thatā€™s always a possibility. Iā€™ll put in a well-deserved plug for The Gemporium here, because @slyduda started out by selling me Igneous Bricks at cost and eventually got to the point where he was just lobbing smart stacks at me. So, part of what you see when youā€™re standing on my lawn was already subsidized by the community.

I may not be making 5000c/day for owning a signpost at a busy intersection, but I donā€™t necessarily feel like Iā€™ve been short-changed in any way. Then again, maybe itā€™s because I have no idea how much money everyone else is making?..:thinking:

1 Like

Actually due to portals all a shop has to have is a portal in a well traveled portal hub. They do not have to be in a city.

Since the portal is in a city and essentially just a doorway into the shop, I count that as in a city since that is the door people go through. :wink: For shops to work you have to have a city presence of some sort. For building to generate income you have to have a city presence so that you get footfall. For hunting, mining, or gathering to generate income you have to either have a shop (at least a door to it) in a city or go in the city and sell to shops. So, the artists, builders that love building, people that like nature, etc. that stay out of cities have no income as the entire economy outside of feats and bonuses is essentially city based. That is why I have never opened a sales stand, request basket, or otherwise been part of the economy. The economy was never made for non-city people. Yet, itā€™s the city people that complain about not enough income from footfall. Those of us who donā€™t like cities accept we are not part of the economy. Those in the cities that are part of the economy are the ones complaining it needs changed to give them more. I would rather see a method for artists to make money and be part of the economy than see the income of those who already make the money increased as a matter of fairness. Me personally? I donā€™t see any great need for money. We already all get more than we need from feats and bonuses. However, some builders have often complained they need income sources too that donā€™t require opening a shop or having a coveted spot in a city near portals. I have looked for ways to make some sort of income that is not location dependent. Those who make the most money currently donā€™t want to see that happen of course. Oh well, I tried. Iā€™m done yapping about it and will go back to ignoring the economy now.

2 Likes