Beacon Harvesting

May catch hell for suggesting this and some may see it as abuse of the new system. Just putting this out there and see what people think.

So with how the new beacon reclaim system works, it got me thinking. What if you pick your rock mining/soil digging/wood chopping spot and plop down a beacon. Give it fuel and drop a couple of chests inside the beacon area.
Then go harvest to your hearts content. When your inventory gets full, just drop the stuff in one of your chests. Then when you’ve got enough or are just tired and want to head back, you reclaim the beacon.
Then head back to your home beacon and reclaim the stuff in your waiting storage at your leisure.

I think this is the most (only?) discussed ‘exploit’ of the system. Definitely mixed feelings.

I guess if you count generating/harvesting rare colored ash, it’s not the only one.

Yup, brought it up when this first got mentioned back in March… when they were looking for translations. I think they added “some” timers / limitations to reduce it but nothing was ever said one way or another really.

James did somewhat discuss it in this post during testing though.

1 Like

People already harvest resources in groups or using other accounts as mules. If we could do this on Exo planets, it might be an issue :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

It’s interesting, I thought it will only reclaim crafted blocks, but it reclaims evrything. I wasn’t following the whole process from first announcement to release so I didn’t know what to expect. Reclaimed a beacon I was too lazy to manually disassemble, got 10k rock for free, it took me a minute to figure out where did that come from.

You don’t get back natural ocuring resources (as in resources you didn’t placed). You got the rock because you either had it in storage, or you manually placed it on the ground.

4 Likes

You only got back what you placed. So that rock was either in storage, or you had placed it somewhere.

1 Like

I usually run solo or travel with a small group of friends. In the 10 months I’ve been playing, I have yet to run with a group of more than 3-5 unless it was for a hunt.
For me, this would probably be a once a day or every couple of days kind of thing.

If people abused this like this the developers will have no choice with a charge the rest of us cubits in order to do the reclaims in the future so if you want to screw everybody feel free to go ahead and take advantage of it. But all you’re doing is screwing everybody in the community in the long run. So if you’re tempted to do it please think of that because down the road it’ll hurt you too along with the rest of us. Please don’t abuse it

1 Like

ok, then I mined it all out and forgot about it. Didn’t use that beacon for a year or so.

1 Like

Ideally this game will eventually get bigger, which means all possible exploits will one day get exploited.

That said, I don’t think people “exploiting” to carry home a bunch of rocks or gravel is a big deal.

5 Likes

I do not think so either. However what the Developers think is what matters.

Perhaps @james @SamF @Leahlemoncakes would publicly respond to this question and how the view it. If they are OK with it which would mean no negative repurcussions from a future update then “have at it” as like I started off with: I agree with you @DKPuncherello that this is not a big deal

1 Like

Why you all see this as a exploit?
I see it helping function for removing beacons and getting items. This new feature should reduce another “exploit” related with warping and switching home when moving items off.

I would still personally have proper sub bases on planets with processing plants there than use reclaim function for moving items to main base.

4 Likes

We explored the concept of using a Reclaimed beacon to rapidly return blocks home and concluded it wasn’t an exploit.

Whilst there is a persistent meme that the devs want to spoil fun and maximise grind, the opposite is actually true.

36 Likes

I think thats the point.
I saw so often people just unclaim and regenbombing their stuff, because the time to get all Blocks back with a Hammer wasn’t worth for them.
I “love” every block i have collected and always wanted to take all blocks back after expiring a Beacon, so it is a huge improvement for me, to have the possibility to get all my beloved blocks back at once.
It also avoid, that i have to grind again all the stuff i already collected before.

Just a small sad effect, now it is not possible anymore to feel the joy, to find an expired beacon and find some treasures in half regenerated buildings.

3 Likes

And yet… I’ve done several reclaims now, about 12 I think, and each one of them had a few blocks in there that I most certainly did not place. Not many, a handful, but still. One even had a copper seam block in there! I could’ve stored some stuff in storage at one of those places but am quite positive I never did store a seam block!

I think at the edges there can be a block or two that can be mistakingly be moved to reclaim storage. Like if you remove the grass you also get the soil block in reclaim even tho you did not place that soil block you merely changed it’s appearance which is already enough…

1 Like

It seems there are corner-cases, but I don’t think can be taken advantage of. It’s the first thing I tried and I couldn’t harvest using the reclaim system :slight_smile: .

1 Like

So there is the answer…reclaim to your hearts content if thats your thing… the rest of us will not be punished in a future update for it…so All Is Good!

3 Likes

I am not sure, but DUGUP blocks might have come around farming update.

At least seams came quite late possible to gather so maybe earlier plotted resources plotted got treated as DUGUP when seam gathering got into game.

1 Like

I mean as long as this is available to everyone, it doesn’t pickup natural resources and it has a time delay I’m ok if people do this.

But I don’t think it’s a big deal to pick up a bunch of permanent rocks in a beacon lol.

Most of us mint or gift them on shop stands just to get rid of them.

That right there is a different story.

1 Like