Beacon Persistence

With reachable I mena through leveling like mentioned before so even if you have a lot of fuel you cna maybe only stock the beacon for 1-2 months later on when you have played for a week or maybe some more that could be upgrade to 3 and then through the next years (depending on progressiong and amount of playing ) you could go towards 6 months.

2 Likes

Ah sorry I didn’t read every post, i apologize for being lazy. I like that idea. The more you level, the longer it can be set for.

1 Like

Your first problem was assuming people are logical and responsible. Common mistake.

4 Likes

The only issue with this is that you would either need to find the fuel laying around first, or someone that is actually selling it.

I’m also not sure if resource regen will work in the same way as world regen - i.e. a well travelled area might not regen as quickly as a quiet area. Meaning you may have to spend a fair bit of time finding one of the above.

@alexanderyou I liked your post and I just realised, you may have been referring to me as the ‘peasant’ :confused: lol

1 Like

I refer to everyone as a peasant, it all depends on what kind of peasant. The good ones are the potato farmers, the bad ones are the dung slingers.

3 Likes

According to this quote, it will not respawn in the same place so yes you would have to find a new source.

edit: after posting this i am realizing it has nothing to do with if activity restricts where it spawns… so maybe nevermind.

1 Like

No need for me to continue writing my post to explain that then :smiley:

If the fuel is made to be so abundant and cheap that anyone can easily get it there might as well be no fuel at all and instead have some other system in place that is just as accessible but without fuel as at that point the fuel is just unnecessary clutter.

2 Likes

What system would you have in mind. The fuel allows you to stockpile, have others contribute fuel to a beacon if allowed, and requires more effort then just logging on for a second and then back off.

1 Like

Is fuel is tradeable, you can spend your not-so-hard-earned Coins on fuel. Tada, a 10 second interaction with a plinth and you’ve got a month of fuel!

I keep saying fuel should be crafted/made. We have already seen machines that refine. Why not refine crude minerals/resources/blocks into like the “essence” item we keep seeing or something similar and use that as your fuel. That way you can use these things to build with/to craft with/to power your beacon. You’re not going out of your way to do a job. You’re just paying a tax.

Speaking of taxes, no one said the fuel couldn’t be Coins.

I don’t think 1 week is long enough but I don’t think 6 months should be the lower cap either. There’s a happy medium somewhere in there.

And if you think people aren’t going to want to rejoin because their stuff is gone, that’s fine. It’s a lack of responsibility or ownership for said stuff, but I guess I easily forget that kids play this game. I just know I personally don’t play on minecraft servers where empty, protected builds litter the landscape and if private servers weren’t a thing I wouldn’t be playing on Boundless if that was the case either.

3 Likes

Not while the beacon is there, I meant if the owner does not rejuvenate their beacon within the required time then it would start to decay.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

As @ChickenBranches said it provides a variety of choices also it adds another gold sink something I try to mash in everywhere and creates a new trade resource even if it spawns in aboundance maybe the hunter doesn’t want to use time gathering it.

Turning things from mechinacs into resources increases player interaction and therefore makes a better MMO

3 Likes

May of already been mentioned but maybe putting fuel into other people’s beacons(if its even allowed) to help them out if they have been gone or if they just like their buildings or w/e should be restricted to guild members and friends only. I could see guilds putting fuel into “ghost town” beacons near their rival guild’s base to try to restrict them. Or even some griefer/troll doing it to all the ghost towns when he has an abundance of fuel to annoy people cause sadly people will go out of their way to annoy other people

2 Likes

Yep, it’s been mentioned that people attached to the beacon (via tokens) should be allowed to build and provide fuel for it.

1 Like

While I agree to an extent you do have to keep in mind that this is not World of Warcraft but a voxel based game which has a heavy emphasis on building. So if anything I would want a system that solves the problem of ghost town beacons without placing too many requirements on the players building and play-style, having fuel as a hard requirement to keep your base from disappearing is a very restrictive concept for a game call Boundless. If the fuel is used as a gold sink then there will be some players that only casually play once in a while who won’t be able to afford to keep their base protected and if the fuel is as cheap as dirt it loops back to my previous comment that at that point there is no reason to have it.

It could work alright but as you can tell from most of my comments its not my favorite choice for a system like this.

3 Likes

It still leaves you having to find someone who is actually selling it :wink:

I don’t think machines don’t come into play until a bit further down the progression tree - although I could be wrong.

It’s not necessarily just kids, and it’s certainly not a lack of ownership or responsibility. Real life will always come first (or at least it should) before a game. And games, for a lot of people, are an escape from real life. They should be enjoyable by their very definition.

Personally, I want B< to be as successful as it can be … for as long as it can be. I just think it needs to be accessible to as broad an audience as possible.

If the more hard-core gamers are so worried about lack of space, or littered builds, just band together and rent a private server where you’ll have control over who can place beacons.

2 Likes

I don’t think requiring someone who has a little base with 1 or 2 beacons to spend like 5 minutes of time to upkeep their beacon every 2-3 months is a big deal that will get in the way of real life. And if someone does need to be away for a length of time they could ask pretty much anyone to do the upkeep for them. I’m sure that a lot of people would be willing to help upkeep someone’s beacon if they have irl problems, so this isn’t really an issue.

If you go on an extended break from the game and don’t make any kind of agreement for someone to keep your plot kept up, then that’s either laziness or an outlier.

I don’t think making a system that is mostly for the 0.001% of people who have an issue that prevents any sort of contact with anyone who plays the game for a period of time exceeding 3 months is worth having the system be dysfunctional for an MMO.

4 Likes

There are a lot of ideas and strong opinions around this topic. Let’s try to get a numerical representation of what people are thinking so far (keeping in mind that this only reaches an audience of people reading this thread and that a wider Boundless-lead survey may be more fruitful).

• Beacons should be permanent. They only disappear if their owners remove them.
  • Beacons should require some sort of fuel/payment maintenance. Once the fuel is 0, the beacon no longer protects against regen.
  • Beacons should fade away only if the owner hasn’t logged on within X amount of time.

0 voters

If 2 or 3:

• Beacons with full fuel/payment/time should last 1 week.
  • Beacons with full fuel/payment/time should last 2 weeks.
  • Beacons with full fuel/payment/time should last 1 month.
  • Beacons with full fuel/payment/time should last 2 months.
  • Beacons with full fuel/payment/time should last 3 months.
  • Beacons with full fuel/payment/time should last 4 months.
  • Beacons with full fuel/payment/time should last 5 months.
  • Beacons with full fuel/payment/time should last 6 or more months.

0 voters

4 Likes

Returning playyers should be factored in as well, a big turn off would be lsoing all your builds.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t think everyone will have the same play style - not everyone will want to be in a guild - sure, they’ll trade to get the stuff they want/need, but there will be people who prefer to just play solo. You can see that in the builds people have done across the servers… instead of joining a community build area, there are lots of players that have wandered off into the wilderness to be away from the main hubbub of multi-player communities.

I don’t think any of the options discussed in this thread make the game dysfunctional Some options just make it easier to continue where you left off after an extended period of time in the real world.

212.0654% of stats are made up to sway opinion or perception.

I fully understand the reason people want to have a fuel source for additional immersion … and the potential to be able to grave rob other people’s stuff when they don’t pay the fuel bills. I just don’t agree with the idea. I prefer a basic, easy system where you just need to login and play the main core of the game to have fun.

5 Likes