Beacon Reserved Protection Status Indicator

Would you consider adding a “on” “off” indicator?

The “protection status” with the checkmark makes it look like it’s “on”.

And the big button says “don’t allow”. I know what it means, but I think it can be confused as:
“don’t allow protection?” “don’t allow is on?”

I think it would be easier to help others understand if it had this.

& For clarification…
Do I have the right to make a rule that the protection status on beacons should always be left to off?

7 Likes

I think the design intent is that the button is only about the permission and not about the protection zone, since that is still always on and cannot be turned off. The only difference is that everyone gets the permission now per default.

1 Like

True, but from the comments being posted, the Qs about it on discord, & the PMs I’m getting… several people are asking which setting to use.

I just thought a better visual indicator might help since the two things are mingled together.

Totally agree that it is far from obvious what it’s doing. I always double check the permissions tab to see if everyone in the list has gotten the permission or not.
The gray oneliner below the title that tells you if other can or can’t plot is also helpful. But I agree that the rest is confusing. It’s also miscommunicated that you can turn off the buffer, while in fact you can’t. You only give permissions on it.

2 Likes

Thank you for clearing this up for me. I had totally not understood how this would look and work.

3 Likes

Yes, you are actually controlling the reservation/permission to plot. People that aren’t using the debug may not know the buffer is still there.

It does look like they removed the word “buffer” for the most part (I don’t remember if it was ever there lol)

1 Like

I think suggested button design would be more clear. Before warping status got these cross icons it was really unclear that when it was on and when off.

This Protection status title was confusing with icon, but luckily text description is clear :slight_smile:

Maybe there could be better title word to describe it.

2 Likes

This is no different that some of the other features like “people warping to the beacon” so I can completely understand why the did the code this way. It keeps it in align to their current way of communicating on/off type features.

Personally I would always just have preferred a little on/off switch on the UI or the ability to check/uncheck the box on the first screen. I don’t really see a need to go in and select it unless they are worried that people might accidentally check/uncheck and want things to be like two steps.

There are a lot of little UI features and stuff that could use some work. Many feel two first generation pass versus more refined. We do need more refinement like the post suggests.