Beacons still expire? :(

I 100% understand how you feel @courtneyy, with losing all of your things, it is quite the blow, especially if it happened multiple times.

I know it wont help get your items back, or your farms/builds… but I recently went thru just that. And, for perspective, I actually maintained and ran a very large shop. Capital city of a planet. and many many satellite bases. The millions of coins, and many millions of coins worth of items that were lost would make any normal player go fetal-position and curl up in a corner if they knew what was actually lost.

While i could sure use that coin right now… I’m glad I have to start over. I truly am.

It gives me the opportunity to learn the ins/outs of the patches that happened while i was away. Makes me learn all the new portal networks from scratch, and perhaps find new favorites. Find new farming areas. and customize my new builds to accomodate the many additions to the game that happened while I stepped away. and of course… challenge myself to surpass my previous achievements.

I am not looking at what i lost with my first “run”, but am looking at what I have to gain by doing it better this time around. New Game + !!!

Also, in a sense, the “reclaim system” that is coming is kindof what you are asking for. If you pop on, make a beacon, build a chest and throw all of your items in it, when that beacon expires all of those items will be stored in a “Cloud storage”, and available to you when you come back. Then when you come back, make a beacon, make a chest, items in chest and same deal if you come back even later (*if I am off, someone clarify, but that is my basic understanding of the system)

So, while it wont get rid of beacons, as was mentioned earlier, it will put a stop to the “Hard fresh start” that happens now.

Anyway, Just wanted to let u know, “I feel ya!” and if you ever decide to come back and do another run, It’ll be a New Game ++ for you. =D

5 Likes

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who has those feelings. I also enjoyed thinking about things from the perspective you gave me.

Initially, long-term I was thinking: “What if I set up a shop, had this extensive base, expensive items, end game style setups, and poof one day I come back after a hiatus, and it’s all gone.” I’d be even more devastated than I was today and even the last time this happened to me.

So… that’s why I’m just going to watch updates from this point forward. I figure if I have to start all over again, I want to not have to worry about that possible outcome I described above. If that type of an update never happens, then I’ll probably not return sadly. At the same time though, I’m hopeful with the reclaim system.

I appreciate your feedback Crete, it was nice to hear from someone who was well advanced into the game and experienced what I just experienced on a larger scale! I’m really sorry to hear about your losses, but I’m glad that in the end you made it a win for yourself!

2 Likes

As a player who lost everything march last year, having played since launch, i have a few questions for OP and other likeminded players, who have critique concerning regeneration mechanics:

1. With advanced fuel lasting 16 weeks, do you feel that an extention of time for such fuel is in order, or perhaps information on the fuel could have been more clear within the game?

2. Is the sense of loss mostly oriented towards loss of assets or loss of location/construction?

3. Do you consider the upcoming Reclaim feature an adequate solution to the problem, and if not - why?

Edit: my own answers:

1. No.
  2. Only assets.
  3. Yes.
1 Like
  1. No extension, Yes on clear timeline (or even item description of fuel including how long… as it just says something like “Fuels for a very long time!”

2. Only assets

3. Yes

2 Likes

I think you could build poll or even thread around these questions. Good questions :slight_smile:

1. To me 16 weeks fuels seem long time. But it seems that these days that we have backups of backups available everywhere even fuel system seems to be strange to some of players.
  2. Both, if I had to choose between these two. To me right now storage is more important than build design etc, But it is because I am mainly collecting things and building boxes :smiley:
  3. I think it is great advancement compared what game offers right now for returning players. This should motivate more buildings pop up :slight_smile:
1 Like

I lost everything I had obtained since launch late last year. I came back just a few weeks ago. As someone who takes extended hiatuses from games—Boundless included—I just started scheduling reminders and emails to be sent to me a few days before my beacons expire.

1. I think the beacon fuel could be made to be clearer, as well as beacons displaying the exact date and time they will expire.

2. Assets entirely. Things can always be rebuilt, and sometimes a fresh start on builds can be fun. But having to grind all of the materials twice for the same result is painful.

3. 100% yes. If somehow it were possible that a schematic system could be in place one day where you could even recover your builds, I think that would be amazing, but the simple fact that players will now be able to get their stuff back after losing their beacons is incredible.

2 Likes

Hello Cyklisk, you ask some good questions, I’m happy to give my opinions :)!

1. With advanced fuel lasting 16 weeks, do you feel that an extension of time for such fuel is in order, or perhaps information on the fuel could have been more clear within the game?

(I was going to type up a whole massive idea I had on how beacons could be improved, but I simplified my answer instead :P)
It was probably my fault for not realizing that fuel could go for 16 weeks, but at the same time, I don’t find the beacon system very intuitive anyway. I think it really needs to be reformed and simplified. I wish it displayed exact date/time that it will expire.

To add to that, I wish that I had a location where I could save my crafting areas/storage/farms forever. Where I wouldn’t have to worry about logging in to refuel, in case I go on a hiatus. I’m not sure if there’s a solution to that, I know other survival MMOs just have admins/mods clear bases after 3 months or so (on average), so I can understand the purpose beacons serve. I’m not against bases being cleared, I just wish the system was maybe a bit easier to maintain. I’d have to brainstorm on it.

1. Is the sense of loss mostly oriented towards loss of assets or loss of location/construction?
    Personally, my sense of loss was to the crafting areas I had aligned and set up, as well as all the terraforming that went into doing that. Also, of course, there’s a sense of loss to all the items I lost within my storage units. That was a really good question.

2. Do you consider the upcoming Reclaim feature an adequate solution to the problem, and if not - why?
    From what I was told just up there about the reclaim system, no, I’m torn 50/50 on the idea. I think it’s fantastic if all of our items will potentially be stored in case our base expires, but what if I had a massive base/farm + shop(s), I’d have to rebuild from scratch. That for me is daunting, especially if I had built technical things.

I hope my answers help, I really don’t mind thinking about these things. I do love the game, and I really want to see it flourish and improve!

2 Likes

While its not a absolute best solution, one idea if you plan on taking a break would be to make a few level 1 characters and stick everything you have in storages in the inventories of these characters. That way they could never be lost.

However with the reclaim system being able to save everything in a build soon this idea will probably be moot, but its worth taking note of regardless.

4 Likes

You know, I hadn’t thought of that. That’s actually really smart. But yes, with the reclaim system that idea may become outdated. Thanks!

3 Likes

Well when you do come back. This community will be more than willing to get you back up and going with materials and pretty much anything else you need. I know you say your a solo player. But there are so many good guilds that would love to have you join. And help fuel your beacons if needed. Hope to see you back in Boundless soon. :beers:

1 Like

My main Benefit is I get to give :cookie: s to everyone (^-^)

2 Likes

I’m sure its been said before but, beacons NEED to expire for the games longevity and quality of play, imagine * insert name here * who has loads of plotted areas over an entire planet leaves and never comes back to the game, their builds will still be taking up all that space and no one else can build there, so they need to be removed.

However, I believe the new reclaim system that is incoming will satisfy the need for removal but also not destroy progress if someone accidentally forgets to fuel a beacon :+1:

5 Likes

Yup yup, I think @james has a plan down for it all. We should be good in time.

Oh hey Ovis, I recently found your channel, and it was actually part of the reason I was considering playing again haha. Really helpful good content!

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks! I love hearing that! :smile:

2 Likes
  1. extension no. Info yes.
  2. construction
  3. no, we need blueprints, see 2)
1 Like