Being Griefed + Gleam abused

No way for me to know that. I assume there is some sort of ToS for PS4 players. I’ve not been able to try B< on PS4 yet.

1 Like

Couldn’t be hundreds of reports. The Average populations is 1000 at a given peak, roughly 2000 (guestimate) different per day. Even just 100 reports per day, would mean 5% of the daily population is sending in reports daily.

Which is way tooo high… unless something is fundamentally wrong with the game.

I don’t think the in game report works… or at least don’t see any progression with the issues (as in a ticket answered). I reported a profane name about a month ago, and they are still in game.

Yeah in an ideal world we’d have a system which tells people we’ve taken action on a report, until that system is implemented though, we’re stuck without confirmation.

Even so, we’d ask players not to bring reporting matters to the forum. All in game reports are reviewed, but we get a lot coming through every day and will be playing catch up until we have more support staff.

The EULA actually covers pretty much everything within the CoC, but if I recall correctly the CoC is displayed within the menu; if it’s not, it will be very soon.

2 Likes

This is now the third player I have seen complaining about this same person via forum/in game about and all share similar stories. The name shaming thing needs to be looked at as in this case this individual should be publicized.

2 Likes

It’s jyst a freeking game for god sake! No one should be named and shamed no matter what one does in game.

1 Like

Just because it is a game it’s no excuse for people to behave badly

4 Likes

Though if it isn’t explicitly stated, many players will go about hindering others as a means of PvP or competitive gameplay. You could almost forgive someone who hasn’t seen the rules for thinking along the lines of;

‘This person is catching me up for Mayor status, I need to slow him down’.

Not my personal philosophy, regardless of the rules - I’m merely pointing out that these Codes of Conduct need to be visable and understood.

You really don’t understand why law protect people who are not convicted by an independent court? In real life lynches are for obvious reason, and court are there to settle disputes. In this game naming and shaming for obvious reasons are forbidden, and there is dev team to settle all players disputes. If there is a player that defiles CoC he will be punished, and it’s not your or mine, or any other player role to name and shame him. Also, just because you don’t like something it does not mean that does not mean it’s forbidden. And what one want to be forbidden as an in game action should be presented as an abstract example, not as a real player in-game example. Because when you name and shame, you are directly in violation of CoC. And in my opinion it’s a much worse violation than maybe-violation like plotting-and-building.

It maybe a ■■■■ move to take on plot someone forgot to plot, nevertheless there’s no in-game mechanics, or CoC entry that directly forbids that.

I dunno, sounds like the guy plotted first and is well within the the CoC.

3 Likes

I think a problem that some people, myself included, have with not naming and shaming is that the rest of the community is not made aware of the player that is misbehaving. So when you follow the rules and don’t throw out a name, and the punishment for the offender is anything less that a perm ban, that person can go right back to misbehaving on different players.

For example guy scams a player in a trade and later gets a warning or a temp ban. Because his name is not revealed he goes on to do it again and again to other players until he is eventually removed from the game. In the real world after a person is arrested for committing a crime, not after they have gone to trial, the news will put their name and picture out and inform the public on what they have done. So if guy gets arrested for something like theft, fraud, vandalism, etc you know not to deal him because he is untrustworthy. When the player can’t say anything and the devs don’t inform the player base after a dispute is proven it makes it really easy for jerk players to continue to be jerks.

3 Likes

First of all even if you have a list of people who are trolling in game you really can’t defend any better way, than if you don’t have this list. If player A plots near B in a way some people don’t like, revealing his identity does not change anything. He can still plot next to you or anyone else. But if his identity is revealed there are vindictive social justice parties, that may want to do to that identified players things that are against CoC, which result in banning them instead of that player A (yes people has very skewed view on what justice is, and as life shows are generally stupid). In a way no naming and shaming rule protects that vindictive social justice
delusionists.

Can you give an example of scamming? I think this game does not allow any scamming. You exactly see what you buy or sell and for what and have to explicitly agree to that. Right?

I don’t know any civilized country that allows that. Newspapers etc. are not allowed to publish names or pictures that allow to identify people that are not public figures.

I really, really don’t believe you are so naive. Or maybe you misspelled convicted somehow that it makes it look like arrested? Especially in today’s world, where accusation without any proof are thrown on every side.

In other words, you want for example allow me, to tell “Devis is a scum because he cheated me in trading, i didn’t make a screenshot at that time, but he is a scum” and say it’s OK.

• it looks like you surrounded this players plot with walls
  • you prevented him from expanding his plot.
  • this area was wild at that time so he had full permission to claim that area :joy::ok_hand:
  • he should be banned

This is not anyones call, other then the Devs and GMs of the game is to make, And because there is a rule about name shaming in place. it is extremely clear how the devs want players to handle situations like this.

You don’t name shame because it is extremely easy to destroy someones reputation. If name shaming was allowed then that can create its own problems.

*People are often very quick to name and shame. They may do so with out fully understanding the situation. And therefore falsely accuse someone.

*Players can reform and become better players once they are punished by a GM. Name shaming again, destroys that players reputation, and in a game of this little population. That might have a very lasting effect

*Other people don’t need to be made aware about another players misbehaving, It is not affecting them, It is affecting the player that player is supposedly doing something wrong do, and the player who feels like he is being wronged can report the player, It is not anyone else’s concern, If that player then turns around and doses something to you, then you report him as well, you don’t need to be for warned.

*Name shaming and report calling IS a type of harassment.

*Being allowed to name shame allows other people to try to lie and drag someones name thru the mud. It is not hard to forge screenshots. And if private servers ever become something that happens then it becomes extremely easy to impersonate someone by creating a char with the persons name. and then misbehaving on that and posting it publicly.

Again the devs seem to have made it quite clear how they want this to be done. You report them using the in game tools to do so. And you leave it up to the GMs to make the judgment. The judgement and or witnessing of the punishment, is not yours to do.

Yes, I think the frustration comes from people feeling helpless about being harassed. Harassment is a Really big deal, and not limited to this game. However, I think the core idea here is that harassment should not be embraced. This includes harassing harassers. This activity is not the ideal way to solve the problem even though it can do that in some cases. In almost all cases the situation will get out of hand. Hence impartial judges who are supposed to weigh facts only. And this takes time. So, while it is easier to be a harasser than a harassee, it is important in the long term to follow the more stable process. And for that process to work, we must be able to trust the judicial system (devs here). I think we can in this case but we must understand that their time frames are in days or weeks, not hours. More transparency into the process from the devs end would greatly help and I believe I saw a post about them implementing just that. Please report problems, have patience and and be respectful. This is a really hard and takes a lot of control, I think we as a community would do well to acknowledge those in the game that do this. It helps to be recognized and
appreciated for our character.

In Boundless no I can not give an example because as you stated it is really hard if not impossible to scam someone in a trade. As I was coming up with my example I was thinking of other games that you can be scammed in a trade and they too, like most games, do not allow naming and shaming. I was speaking to the idea of naming and shaming as a whole and not specifically to just game.

I am going to take a risk and assume that you do not live in the U.S. and therefore do not know the laws here the same way that I do not know the laws outside of the U.S. In the states when you are arrested it is public record, thus everyone has a right to it. Newspapers do print it and you can watch the local news to see any arrests that they deem news worthy. And while I don’t know how many cities offer it I know that there is a publication in my city called Just Busted. It might come out weekly but I think it is printed monthly. In it are the names and mug shots of everyone that has recently been arrested in the city and county along with what they were charged with.

Ok, so a couple of things on this one. There is a difference between accusations, being arrested and charged, and being convicted. You can be accused without being arrested or convicted and you can be arrested without being convicted. So your jab about a typo would be incorrect.

And in the second part of your response you put words in my mouth instead of asking what I thought a solution would be. Again there is a difference in accusations, arrests, and convictions. Accusations without proof do not justify being identified. I would like to see, in this game and in others, that after a person has been punished by a dev/admin/mod/ etc that their player name be made public. I think it might hold people to a higher standard if there is a risk of having their reputation hurt. At the same time if the jerk player wants to be a jerk player they can always get a new account or name and continue with their behavior. Just another part of playing on the internet I suppose.

I should’ve locked this a while ago.

It’s never ok to name and shame, any discussions of individual reports should go directly to Wonderstruck - this does not mean you aren’t welcome to challenge aspects of the CoC, you certainly can in another thread.