Bigger plots

So I was thinking. What if plot smith or real estate skill. Was a thing? Like a later on skill you can unlock bigger plots. So it is a 8x8 but you can level up and get a 10x10 and 12x12 plot and goes up by 2 every time so you can keep the spacing even with in the world. Just a thought

8x8 standerd
10x10
12x12
14x14
16x16
18x18
20x20 is the biggest

1 Like

Well, plots wouldn’t “fit” together cleanly, for one. If two people with differently sized plots were trying to build together and match their stuff up, it’d be literally impossible unless they had 8x8 and 16x16 plots or 10x10 and 20x20 sized plots. That being said, why make bigger plots? It’s easy to just plot your beacon out to bigger areas already, and I don’t know if that would even work server-side. Wouldn’t surprise me if the plot sizes are tied directly into chunk sizes, hence why claiming a plot locks the entire vertical domain both upward and downward against other people claiming plots.

I believe just as perks said on the playboundless said.

You would get more plots claims, instead of bigger plots. Maybe we can have it be a skill that grants additional percentage of plots or additional plots when we earn them.

But that seems kinda more complicated than it should be. Maybe plots will get easier to get as you do objectives. Taking away the need from more plots or bigger plots.

I can see the uses of larger plot sizes. Those players that make amazingly huge builds, like @Jeffrotheswell and @Havok40k, would not need to use up as many plots in their builds. I like the idea that it would be a skill to level up, not just a development that is thrust on you. Another idea would be the ability to shift between sized once you unlocked them. Streets don’t really need to be 20x20…so the 8x8 plot would be better. Maybe if you move the mouse wheel while holding the plot adder, you can change the size.

But then again, I am not a monumental builder and I would love to see what other builders say about this idea.

Considering how voxel game engines work that is not possible. The closest would be virtual plots that consist of several regular plots, but even that would add complexity that might be too much to pay off.

There’s absolutely no reason to have larger plots (a very complex and extremely ill-fitting option, if it’s even possible) when just having more plots is far, far simpler and easier.

Now I know that you (30nstillgaming) have built quite a bit, but have you even reached the limit of the plots you already have yet?

Yes he’s reached the limit, and he even got the miners glitch. Main reason why he’s not finished the Mount Oortmore (sorry if name’s not correct) project he started.

But as we’re supposedly getting new ways to get plots, we’ll just have to wait and see. Plenty of the builders have ran out of plots too.

1 Like

Yes I have hit my max plots of 225 as of right now. I am just suggesting bigger plots because if down the road I unlock the skill that gives you bigger plots. Let’s say I have 1 plot that are 8x8 is 64 spaces. If I can level them up and I get 20x20 maxed out plot I would have 400 spaces with one plot leveled up at master skill level.

To get that with 8x8 plots I would need more then 6 plots to get the same space. That would take 1 upgraded plot if you are a master plot smith. The skill that I am suggesting would be a master skill for builder.

1 Like

I don’t want to nitpick but bigger plot dimensions would have to be product of 8.
So 8x8x8, 8x8x16, 8x16x16, 16x16x16, 8x8x32 etc
or 8x8x8, 16x16x16, 32x32x32 etc

2 Likes

yes - you have to remember you don’t create a plot upon placing a beacon; plots already exist and have fixed positions, so you can’t just expect to have 10x10x12 or any free combination available as that wouldn’t work with existing plot grid;

apart from limiting size to multiples of 8, you will have to remember that when they are not cubes (like 8x8x16) they would have to come in vertical and horizontal variants (otherwise you’ll have to limit the available sizes to cubical 8x8x8, 16x16x16 etc.)

• it would all be quite a job for devs I’d say;

It’s a nice suggestion in general but I think that the only realistic approach is to create a skill that is simply giving a player more plots when levelling.

2 Likes

I must say, I have been wondering about the backer rewards for plots. They announced a while ago that there will no longer be a cap on the number of plots you can have. So what does this mean for backers,@james?

1 Like

I believe backers with bonus plots will get them in 1.0 as a bonus, instead of the EA gameplay we have currently

In other words, you get a set number of plots you can use immediately rather than having to wait to earn them via leveling?

Originally the baker perks were “N% larger claims” but they were updated to “N% more beacon claims” once we switched from the monolithic column beacons to the current modular voxel beacon system. We made this change because it gave the player control over the layout of the environment they wanted to protect and not favour tall stuff.

The beacon grid resolution, whilst not allowing block perfect claims, I think is a great balance between giving players architectural control, enabling collaboration between emergent neighbours, and server performance.

There is no upper limit on the number of beacon claims a player or guild/clan can earn.

1 Like

I’m not sure what was the original idea but I would see it more like bonus plots upon leveling. This would actually make sense for a builder skill set to have.

I’m still not quite clear on what “N% more beacon claims” means. If there’s no upper limit, then what could be more than infinity?

I would imagine it is the rate in which you earn the plots… so for “10% more beacon claims”, where the standard player would earn one plot when leveling up, you would earn 1.1 plots … meaning that every 10th plot would give you one additional plot.

This is, of course, pure speculation on my part here!

5 Likes

Whatever way it is the advantage is not the maximum allowed number of plots. It is that at any given time you have more plots than a regular player of the same level.

2 Likes

I understand now, thanks everyone :smiley:

2 Likes