Block Farming - A Giant Essay

OK this is going to be a rambling post. If you’re not interested in block farming or gathering a lot of blocks it will be boring :stuck_out_tongue:

First some background for future readers or those who haven’t followed the other chat. Much of this is old news for the majority of current players but I don’t think it’s all laid out into a single primer like this anywhere.

I farm a ton of various blocks in the game. I like to run my machines for XP and materials - honestly more than I like to build or do anything else except maybe mining in game. Ignoring the need for blocks to build with, there are three primary reasons to farm blocks in Boundless:

• Farming for the blocks themselves, to use in crafting or for sale to crafters.
  • Farming for “auxiliary drops”. Many blocks in Boundless drop other items when broken.
  • Farming for XP, which actually caused me to start this write-up.

The reasons for farming a particular type of block can vary. However most natural blocks provide 2 XP per block when broken. This means that most blocks are farmed for use in crafting, or for their auxiliary drops.

Some of them also have a relatively high value when fed to the chrysominter so if you are looking for coins, consider blocks like growth or sponge. They have valuable auxiliary drops and minting then directly will usually cover your costs - or even provide some immediate profit - without any follow on activities or processing required. Thorns and tangle offer comparable minting value to sponge but offer less valuable drops.

Stone blocks are relatively cheap to process, and the processing offers decent returns in both XP and coin. However rocks are so common from mining, farming the blocks directly is not a common activity. It’s usually done for specific colors and this means large stone farms are uncommon.

Trunk farming has excellent auxiliary drop rates, processing the trunk offers XP and some increased value, or the trunk itself has value as a fuel. This together with use in building and decor means trunk is commonly farmed.

Soil type blocks offer little immediate value but can be sold for a decent price rather than minted as they all have additional uses in crafting. Some like ash or gravel also offer useful auxiliary drops.

There are a couple of exceptions to the 2 XP but these are rarely farmed in bulk. Ancient corruption is 4 XP per block and they’re farmed for the orbs they drop, but the available formations are awful for bulk farming. In some compensation, they the highest minting value for an unprocessed block in the game.

Dark glass provides 8 XP per block but it’s also uncommon to find a formation that is good for efficient 3x3 farming and it has no auxiliary drops. It’s popular as a building block but it’s not used in any other crafting or processing, and offers only an intermediate minting value. As far as I know it’s rarely farmed in bulk.

Gleam, as most will have noticed, is sort of the “Big Daddy” of block farming. There are several reasons for this.

It was originally a rare block, and it gives 8 XP per block when broken. It’s now available in large sphere formations or other merged-biome deposits on most levels of sovereign and many of the exo planets. these two facts make it one of the most popular blocks to farm. Put this together with the fact that it’s useful in crafting a lot of decor and offers at least one processing option that mints directly for decent returns in both coin and additional experience, gleam is possibly the most heavily farmed block in the game.

Now for a look at the types of farms we frequently use. For this post I’m not concerned with the various things people do running around in the wild or getting specific blocks for building/crafting which aren’t useful for bulk harvesting.

Most useful types of block can be bulk farmed in horizontal layers. This can be done using either stationary methods or larger farms that allow more blocks to be harvested between regeneration cycles. Most of them can be found on permanent worlds in layers of three or more, allowing for efficient use of tools forged with the “all-adjacent” or 3x3 effect. This leads to various sized farms in the most familiar format - an isolated area floored at a level to make it convenient to run around and swing a tool at “face level”.

Some large farms with various levels of enclosure/protection:

A walled farm:

Checked for a single block type throughout, and offering modest protection from the local wildlife.

A fully enclosed farm:

Maximum safety (and this one has some extra drops in it)

A fully open “farm”:

This farm just offers a designated area with the promise of no pitfalls or undesirable blocks in the space.

Here are some mid-sized farms. These are usually resources that are harder to isolate in large amounts, or that have been optimized for regenerating the entire farm with a single bomb.

A high-level gravel farm, used for farming saltpetre fragments:

Foliage also offers a variety of auxiliary drops at higher levels:

This low-level clay farm is optimized for quick clearing and regeneration with a single bomb:

Some resources are rarely found in useful sizes on the home worlds but with the various biomes and merge effects on sovereigns there are very efficient farms available for pretty much all drops, if not all block types. Here’s one of my favorite farms:

I have a video showing this farm in action:

This growth farm is small by necessity but with a 3x3 cross section available for an entire plot width it’s actually pretty efficient. I’ve begun isolating other resources in this fashion as well.

Lustrous trunk and gleam are unique among blocks in that they’re both commonly available in formations that allow for efficient vertical (bottom-up or top-down) farming methods for large quantities of blocks.

Other types of trunk are not really useful for bulk farming due to the formations they’re available in, but all trunks share the same auxiliary drops (bark and sap) so most heavy trunk farming is done with lustrous. This can be found in tall trees at any level, and in the large Island Tree biome at higher levels, good for horizontal farming.

A trunk farm for horizontal farming:

A trunk farm for top-down farming:

This farm is open at the top, so that a regen bomb doesn’t push you out of the building. The request baskets allow you to dispose of unwanted trunk as many players farm this strictly for the auxiliary drops.

A trunk farm for bottom-up farming:

Farming a wild trunk :rofl:

That axe is pretty blunt, though :smirk:

Here’s a gleam farm built around a merged set of formations. This provides easy access to a large amount of gleam between regenerations:

This one has been fitted with slide to help stabilize you horizontally while farming from the top down:

I have an older video (this one is silent) showing some top-down farming on a large gleam ball without the slide:

The slide on top enables much faster farming without being pushed off of the gleam ball.

Here is another gleam ball nearby with standing space at an optimal height for bottom-up access:

Here’s a video showing a quick setup of a bottom-up platform on a wild gleamball, and demonstrating the technique:

After considering the availability of a resource, the decision of what kind of farm to use mainly depends on individual taste. The primary compromise people address for all types of block farming is the balance between two factors:

• Cost Per Block
  • Blocks over Time

The major secondary factory is your desired level of engagement. If you really want to farm massive amounts of blocks for sale, bulk crafting, or just easy XP it gets pretty boring. Being able to pay some attention to some streaming video or other entertainment on the side helps with this. But the less you want to stay focused on the activity, the more it’s likely to cost.

These costs mainly manifest as a balance between inefficient tool use (taking less than the maximum blocks per durability) or more frequent regeneration - staying in a smaller space or sacrificing some of the available blocks per cycle (and using more bombs) to get maximum blocks per use of your tool. `

Today it was brought to my attention that there’s a third, and very important compromise, in that your choice of farming method can apparently have a significant impact on your XP per block. That’s actually what started this entire write-up.

@Samski and I have been discussing gleam farming, and he’s also been trying different methods. During the course of comparing his results he noticed a loss of XP farming bottom up vs. top down. @Grimdian mentioned a bot-protection causing XP loss for stationary avatars. There’s also a better known protection for repeatedly farming the same block, but that generates on-screen warnings and doesn’t seem to apply when regen farming - it was implemented against an older exploit.

After an initial look, there’s definitely some XP loss (with no warning or indication) under certain conditions. I found discrepancies in actual vs. expected XP not only in vertical farming but also in stationary horizontal farming. At a glance it seems to be causing more XP loss based on how quickly I regenerate and break the blocks, rather than just a fixed loss based on being stationary for a given duration.

I’ll be making more runs to determine if this is consistent, and also check to see if farming methods that keep your avatar in motion (but not walking around) avoid it altogether. I’m also going to take this opportunity to drop a hopeful ping for former developer @lucadeltodecso in case he wanted to stop by and reminisce about any protective systems in the code. :crossed_fingers:

More to come.

11 Likes

First, a bit of classic “chicken farming”, as @May-L04 has dubbed it.

I’ll be testing against gleam as it’s got the highest XP per block, and thus the most interest for this. I went to a large gleam farm and cleaned it out with no regen at all.

Starting XP: 167816
Harvested: 11080 Gleam
Finishing XP: 56456

200000 - 167816 = 32184 + 56456 = 88640 xp / 11080 blocks = 8 XP per block

Numbers check out, as expected. I dropped a couple of regen bombs and went to find a smaller farm.

I picked a good sized gleam ball (2+plots diameter) and burrowed in from the top, then ran around taking it about half down, then regenerating and continuing. I did this for 4 cycles.

Starting XP: 56578
Harvested: 12153 gleam
Finishing XP: 153802

153802 - 56578 = 97224 xp / 12153 blocks = 8 XP per block

No problem. So far so good. I went to a gleam ball that’s got a platform at mid-level and offers a flat face. For this one I did some slow stationary farming. I lowered my control stat so I wouldn’t lose any blocks. I let my mega speed expire, and switched to a slow hammer.

The method was to hammer out a tunnel, change tools, regen, change back to the hammer, and do it again after waiting for regen. I figured if the reduction is triggered strictly by a number of blocks harvested without moving, this should trigger it. I hoped to be slow enough that if it’s a speed protection it wouldn’t trigger.

Starting XP: 169034
Harvested: 1512 gleam
Finished XP: 181130

181130 - 169034 = 12096 XP / 1512 blocks = 8 XP per block.

After 1500 blocks no reduction. I stayed with the diamond, and started to regen as fast as I could.

Starting XP: 181154
Harvested: 2430 gleam
Finishing XP: 199522

199522 - 181154 = 18368 XP diovided by 2430 blocks = 7.55 XP per block.

So my pace was sort of random, but at this point I’m seeing a reduction. I took a mega fast and went again.

Starting XP: 199522
Harvested: 2741 gleam
Finished XP: 17194

200000 - 199522 = 478 + 17194 = 17672 xp / 2741 blocks = 6.44 XP per block.

There is definitely some sort of reduction in place for speed, likely related to regen.

I had been getting blocks much faster using mega speed and sapphire at T1 with no penalty. However that was also running around. I’m not sure how to separate these tests. While I still had the speed buff on, I went back to a slower pace for a larger sample.

This was done by taking some blocks, dropping the bomb, waiting for regen to complete, then cycling again.

Starting XP: 17770
Harvested: 3393 gleam
Finished XP: 44914

44914 - 17770 = 27144 XP / 3393 blocks = 8 XP per block.

Standing completely still but waiting for regen to completely finish (5 second pause) incurs no penalty.

Now I’m headed to the farm @Samski has set up. A solid top-down farm will have the avatar “moving” while allowing for very fast regen. I arrived with a mega fast still on so I ducked under the gleamball for a quick spot check of what we’ve already seen.

Starting XP: 77290
Harvested: 3937 gleam
Finished XP: 106170

106170 - 77290 = 28880 xp / 3937 blocks = 7.33 XP per block

At this point, I’ll do a slow test in the bottom-up configuration. By now I expect that allowing 5 seconds for regen will overcome any reduction, showing that it’s related to some “cool-down” on the regeneration. But tested to confirm. I had mega speed on but allowed the 5 seconds for regen to completely finish at each pass.

Starting XP: 108898
Harvested: 6039 gleam
Finished XP: 157210

157210 - 108898 = 48312 xp / 6039 blocks = 8 XP per block

Standing still but allowing regen to complete and “cool off” incurs no penalty.

Now for 2 top-down tests. In the first test, I’m going to make a few passes at the entire depth of the gleam ball. He has this set up on a 3-plot diameter gleam ball, it takes a moment to burrow all the way down. This first run was relatively short, I started by dropping the bomb before I harvested. It takes roughly 3 seconds to hit the bottom and this will allow my passes to overlap with the regen a tiny bit. But it also causes some fall damage so I cut it short.

Starting XP: 168370
Harvested: 3700 gleam
Finished XP: 197970

197970 - 168370 = 29600 xp / 3700 blocks = 8 XP per block

No reduction. I’m going to shorten up the pass for more overlap. In the next round I’ll be digging a somewhat random distance dow, using a pace more like the one encountered in bottom-up farming. I did this by simply dropping a bomb every one second or so while continuously hammering. It caused me to get kicked out of the ball a couple of times but the slide is set up nicely. I just walked back in, continuing to drop bombs.

Starting XP: 9250
Harvested: 4207 gleam
Finished XP: 41674

41674 - 9250 = 32424 xp / 4207 blocks = 7.7 XP per block

Even with the extra pauses from getting kicked out of the ball, this is showing me a reduction.

This is enough to show that the reduction is tied to a regeneration cooldown, not strictly avatar motion.

For now, this is enough. Preliminary testing yesterday seems to show there’s some sort of curve in effect. I did a run in a gleamball I plotted yesterday for short horizontal passes, but the farm performed oddly, sometimes seeming to miss a regeneration cycle completely. This is the first time I tried to set up a gleam ball like this, however the reduction seems related to regeneration and these results were awful. I may explore that further later, but I’m leaving those numbers out. It appeared to be over 25% loss of XP.

I decided instead to grab a shovel and head to a compact soil farm. A pass at soil farming:

Starting XP: 68464
Harvested: 6677 clay
Finished XP: 80188

80188 - 68464 = 11724 xp / 6677 blocks = 1.75 XP per block.

This does indicate that whatever system is at play, it’s not just for gleam. I wouldn’t expect them to implement something for one block type but it was worth a check. Of course for these low XP blocks, the loss isn’t nearly as significant. They’re rarely farmed for XP anyways.

Nothing super scientific, but this shows that there is a penalty, that it’s associated with harvesting blocks too soon after (or during) the regeneration process, and that if you are working at a slow enough pace, standing still is not a trigger.

:sweat:

Enough of that!

8 Likes

I use a slightly different method of bottom-up farming.

Have you consider creating a path under the gleam so you wouldn’t be hitting the same block in a short amount of time. Regen bomb would only be thrown at the end of the path.

The black block is where the path is. I hit the gleam when I get to each corner. This method is probably slower but you don’t have to throw the regen bomb a lot.

I will modify one of my public gleam farm later

3 Likes

Definitely glad you are here @Nightstar. By the time I’m done playing spreadsheet simulator, I never want to post anything! Keep up the good work.

3 Likes

Personally, if I’m moving around or tired of just mashing buttons I tend to farm out a gleam deposit (usually a ball ofc) in layers. This means a lot more movement between bombs. Every once in a while I take a break from the repetition run around wiping out all the gleam, anyways. For heavy bulk I usually just use my own farm, but if I’m looking for color variety what happens at any particular farm depends on how it’s built.

There aren’t actually that many farms set up for high efficiency in top-down or bottom-up arrangements. Some really only allow for side access. some are open at the bottom but have some dead space, and many ■■■■■ with top access don’t have guides to keep you centered once you start going quickly. This can cause minor damage that accumulates over several cycles or just push you to the edge of the ball where you stop hitting 3x3.

If it’s a smaller hole in the covering it can also put you onto the blocks and then you’re just hitting the build blocks. But most of these circumstances don’t come into play anyways until you start farming at high speed, using a regen cycle that’s shorter than the time it takes a bomb to explode.

So if I’m just stockpiling blocks for sale I’m likely to stand still and farm them with bombs for a long period of time, but if I’m looking for a color to craft with I’ll run around a farm more. Sometimes, with gleam especially, I take a trip to several farms and grab a few stacks of different colors. There’s a shop that pays a higher price for random colors, and when I hit that basket I like to throw in a few colors.

I find it sort of ironic that I mis-remembered the XP value for a gleam block, though. In any case, leveling hasn’t mattered to me for a long time. It’s probably a factor of whatever system is in place that I would occasionally look at the on-screen total and note “yeah that’s roughly blocks x 6”.

With soil blocks at 2 XP, level gains are sort of an afterthought, anyways. As long as drop rates check out, it’s no concern for me.

LOL yeah I was clearly in a pensive mood this weekend. This morning I had a little test to take and later this week a panel interview. In a couple weeks I hope to be starting a new job and I’ll be doing less of the long grind, anyways.

Today though I’ll log a few runs in different situations and “poke the box” a bit. Inventory limits and buff timers keep even longer sessions broken into small increments but now that it’s been pointed out to me, this XP reduction seems to come on almost immediately. In the first couple of checks there was a pretty drastic difference, and I’d like to know whether that’s based on time in position, or the rate of regeneration.

I haven’t done anything rigorous but how fast you re-break the blocks seems to matter more than how long you’ve been standing still. Since output matters more to me than XP gains, it’s strictly a matter of intellectual curiosity.

I have updated the second post in the thread with the results of some testing in several different scenarios today.

In summary (that’s a long post up there):

• There is definitely an XP penalty specifically associated with farming blocks too quickly after they’re regenerated.

• There appears to be some sort of curve in effect. Less cooldown incurs more XP loss.

• Allowing at least 1 full second after regeneration seemed to incur no penalty.

• Short tests didn’t show any evidence of a penalty for staying immobile between passes.

Particularly due to some strangeness in one of my scenarios I’m not sure if the penalty is tied to the regen bomb, or if it’s tied to the block itself. That’s probably beyond the scope of what I can test for, anyways.

2 Likes

We’re is that Horizontal Trunk Farming? Is it a Sov? Can it be changed to Shadow Mustard?

1 Like

There is one on Hyrule off Alcyon. I know there are others but can’t remember those.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that if you spin in place while mining gleam from bottom up, the regen penalty disappears. I don’t know what difference that makes to the algorithm, and I mostly like to farm gleam in layers anyways, but its a thing. I only do bottom up on tiny gleam ■■■■■ that are too small to farm in layers, and when I do those, I have to also hold down the camera key to make myself spin if I want the XP.

1 Like

I think a couple of these are still open:

1 Like

The one on Hyrule is open.

Kind regards,

1 Like