Blue prints, cornerstones, arcitect and a land surveyor walked into a bar

Sorry for length its as condensed as i can get. Enjoy
Situation: Limited growth as builder progression prevents the exceptional designers tools that could add significantly to groups (guilds,towns,social). Groups that wish to work together have limited means of coordination and poor exchange for effort, resources and time. Currently all trust based once beacon permissions are given.

Recommendation: Add new items (Drafting table, survey marks, cornerstone, theodolite, blue prints, town map) and a new skill group (cartographer) with the skills (mapmaker,land surveyor, architect) and Beacon permission of assessor.

Discussion: All items above will work together to enable Guilds, town mayors, Beacon owners to create living detailed maps of small specific areas in a variety of detail. Implement building projects that have a specific design that can be assigned settings of builder compensation for materials and effort.
Example step 1-As town owner I pay to have my area surveyed, person with surveyor skill sets surveyor marks around my town (size based on his skill level). Then a mapmaker can create a detailed living map of my town that has multiple layers (tabs) that detail blocks,plots, shop details portals…Map maker can set tags on his map that identify map details and number of times it can be sold or copied.

Example step 2- A player who has the architect skill will be able to design blueprint plans for objects like buildings, bridges or streets that can be reused or sold. A drafting table used by a player with the architect skill would open up a Voxel design tool specific to Boundless. This tool would open almost full screen and implement its own interface tools. The more skill points a architect has would open more blocks types, chisel shapes and design tools. The Drafting table would be expandable by adding more drafting tables that were placed next to each other. A larger the table would allow for a larger design, from a few blocks in size to several plots in size. A high skill architect with a maxed out table size would be able to design blue prints for an entire large tower or other structure. Once the architects design was complete he would set two blocks as cornerstones. The design would be saved as blue prints could be traded, sold, and would always be available to the original architect with credit of creator prominently displayed.

Example step 3- A land surveyor could take a set of blue prints and based off of the cornerstones in the blue prints use a theodolite to set cornerstone blocks in a plotted location to determine the build site of what was in the blue prints. The higher skill lvl of a surveyor would increase the size of project he could set the cornerstones for.

Example step 4- As town mayor from the beacon permissions could assign the Assessor permission to an individual (town mayor would already have rights). An assessor would interact with a cornerstone and be able to assign payment based on block type to builders. Once a price is set an assessor would identify who could be a builder, (guild members, town members or any player). Once the cornerstone is is set by an assessor any one can build to the blueprint design by interacting with a cornerstone and getting a token. This token could be placed in the totem as an augment and allow the builder to see a semi-transparent version of the structure that remains to be built. By using the totem on a empty design space the block would be placed matching the design. A builder would have to have the block, chisel and skill to be able to place the block but all actions would be completed automatically by using a totem with the correct token augment Normal Xp points would be received by the builder and payment given on return of the token to the cornerstone for all blocks placed.

Assumptions:
-Game programming is simple and all suggestions would be easy to implement. (seriously love the game and all the work that is being put into the game. THANK YOU)

-At some point guilds will have some level of plot management and permission tools. If not apply all above to town mayor.

-Suggested skills would be unlocked at higher levels and not interfere with current progression.

-Target players are ones that have interest in themed towns, and OCD builders that could use help building their creations. Boundless has some awesome builders that I would love to help but have no idea of what they would want done.
Love the community Thanks for reading.

The1beholder

8 Likes

yup. no need to discuss. just implement that.

But no seriously, this is very well thought out. We do need more incentive for builders and community projects if we ever hope for it to be like the game trailer. Right now, with the latest update, so much emphasis has been placed on crafting and gathering that it seems builder class has been pushed to end-game. This does sort of lose the focus of the heart of the game. So if we had a system like you are suggesting maybe the payoff for participating is that tools are either free to the builder or unbreakable within the project arena.
We must give builders and settlement designers more tools and less “grindy” requirements so that Boundless has more physical growth potential within the worlds.

3 Likes

I love the idea of buying blueprints to guide building for special projects. Even being able to learn how to build special door frames and column styles or floor patterns would be really nice. It would also help make the building skill a bit more marketable. I’m not sure how it would display the different blocks and how it will work so players can choose different materials. I would make lots of blueprints and sell them. “Yes that will be 500 c for the coolest lighting fixture in the universe. Yes that will be 1000c for this epic tree for your garden.” Flips shades and rakes in the cash.

This cracked me up.
“Assumptions:
-Game programming is simple and all suggestions would be easy to implement”

That is such a good joke.

3 Likes

I just love these ideas and would definitely want to see blueprints in the game as they would make building a themed build so much easier.

3 Likes