Blueprints, a possible help to the game?

Blueprints.

There has been a flurry of post recently regarding countless issues of the game. This does not fit in any particular one of those discussions but in my opinion this is something strongly to be considered for a myriad of reasons

Obviously there can be two types of blueprints one which allows you to sell the design to another player which is not really pertinent to this particular discussion and the second is a personal blueprint where you can pull up your building and literally take it somewhere else inventory and all

If a player has the option to pull up a building or their entire build for that matter it opens a number of options for the player.

If a player decides that for whatever reason he does not want to be where he is he can move. Maybe you don’t like your neighbors? Or maybe you do like your neighbors but it’s just getting too crowded? Maybe some new really cool planet has come out and you want to move? Or maybe you’ve decided that you met some really neat people in the game and you kind of wish you could move to the same area but you hate to lose all your stuff that you spent so many hours and days working on to build? Maybe there’s a conflict between two settlements and one of them decides hey you know what I think I’m going to move?

In my humble opinion this would open up a bunch of opportunities for these issues to be resolved without any need for the developers to get involved.

What blueprints solve all the problems in the game? Of course not but I do believe it would go a long way toward helping in incredible amount of situations.

3 Likes

One of the biggest issues I often see with regards to the game is that new players often complain that planets feel empty - given the large number of them, its not umcommon for any given planet to have very few people on them.

In order to solve this, one suggestion could be to give people the ability to create blueprints as you suggested, storage and all, to move to a new location

However, taking this idea one step further, the devs could decide to delete a few less prestigious planets under the pretense that any builds on there automatically get given to players who plotted there with the blueprint system. Through this system people could be encouraged to move to more popular planets and, as a result, reduce player scarcity.

2 Likes

I’m definitely all on board with blueprints. I mentioned in other threads that ability was one of my favorite things about the game Lego Worlds. It would be a huge QoL improvement for Boundless - in addition to what was mentioned already, for big projects, cut down on a lot of the busy work if you can basically copy and paste repetitive stuff if you have the mats, then tweak as needed. Also, being able to sell them would open up a huge economic niche for the people who fall more into pure builder on their playstyle - let them have shops of builds, basically. More coin for them = they can build even more stuff.

2 Likes

While I am all for the blueprint idea to allow a person to move a build to a new location I’m not sure the ability to copy and paste is a great idea. It could, potentially (if I was so inclined), allow me to cover an entire planet in a troll build of my choosing (the way I hoard things I probably have the necessary materials and plots to actually do so). I would absolutely love to cut down on repetitive/tedious chiseling, but the work involved (and my lack of imagination) in building large scale is the only thing holding me back from sprawling on a planetary scale.

…Although it would allow me to finally realise my dream of flooding my entire planet in resin… the only thing currently stopping me is how much of a chore I find placing liquids… that and I might be 2 or 3 stacks short of the resin required to flood the whole planet… but I’m getting there :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

That is a good point - it would bring up a trolling potential if someone made something with easily acquired mats (I could just imagine massive forests of rocks built into an unmentionable shape popping up suddenly…). :astonished:

1 Like

For blueprints, could add in a nice feature into the game. Doing so could be hard to implement for game mechanics wise. this would be a lot of Coding. alright implementation i could see to probably best work is blueprint builds can only be so big. so build limits. That is alright as one can break up there super build into small chunks. really makes a build a bit more planned manageable. Next masterbeacon or a special block should be the block to simply capture the build. issue would be deploying the new build where natural terrain exists. Perhaps all plot chucks need to be empty space? need to preclear before build placement.

Next is how to handle material placement. a storage in the deployer device to dump materials in for the build. I foresee this taking up alot of server CPU for deploying a build like this. IF so that is not ideal on mmo servers. also as in some other building games i know that has blueprinting systems, the system also can be used for clearing areas, might be the point for boundless game play. well perhaps if you had to put a hammer, shovel, or axe in the clearing machine and will only clear claimed plots. of this kinda replaces some of the other game resource harvesting machanics, but limitations make clearing area this method on a better method then running harvesting with a tool in your hand.

Anyways this could be a nice feature to come in the future as the game evolves. For now i look to seeing other things come 1st that the developers already have planned. like the new Glass! SO hang there enjoy the new goodies along the way.

1 Like

I think the word you’re looking for begins with “gleam” and ends with “is”

1 Like

Yeah, the material handling is something I was thinking of too with this - another way, maybe just allow the build to go up a little at a time, show a transparent outline of the finished product, add stuff and it fills up.

1 Like

that would likely help with the load on the server being lessened

1 Like

I mean… Creativerse has had the ability to build blueprints that were captured by the devs since before I even started playing the game, which was in early 2016… The feature might’ve been available since beta, I don’t even know.
It was working exactly like a puzzle game, with a crate containing all the blocks of the blueprint, and you followed a guide to re-build the thing.
They then expanded it with Steam Workshop to allow players to create their own blueprints, AND they added something they called “the burst-fill”, which allowed you to place similar blocks in AoE. Like, say there’s a wall made 30 stones, you could place most of these in one click.

Anyway, that was added more than 2 years ago.

We’re in 2019. I’m sure Wonderstruck can figure out something similar.

3 Likes

It works for DQB2 as well. Makes it faster and easier to build stuff which new players might like.

Oh also for blueprints i Guess could share on the workshop? Not sure how to share VIA PS4 im sure there be a way. or just keep in game and have a preview editor of the build. but yet more coding mechanic needed.
yes preview visualization would be something needed even if it was plot chuck outline area, for know what plots need to be claimed? if blueprints can be sold then would open up the artist market of the economy. That would be healthy for the game i would think.

1 Like

It could open a new trait skill tree for Architects. Chiseling would go there for example alongside new ones like drawing, dyeing blocks, furniture making (:eyes::eyes::eyes:)

1 Like

some neat ideas!