Boundless Hunt Squads

This came up during the hunt today due to the difficulty of trying to keep everyone together and identifying where someone is and trying to follow them.

Basically the idea was two fold -

1. Have the ability to mark someone as a leader or some other fashion so they can me identified out of a group (e.g. star over their head, a different color on the compass, etc.) This would only be a temporary thing and not perm.
  2. The ability to create a squad or group of people so that we could easily mark a leader. This is like other conventional games where someone creates a group (the leader) and then can add people to it temporarily. All the people in the group are the same color on the radar so you can see them.
11 Likes
2 Likes

It might not be too hard to allow players to set another player as a Location Destination. Then that system would track you to that player.

7 Likes

That could work… maybe kind of part of the “trade” system or something. Obviously it would need to be a two sided agreement so that we don’t start a slew of “stalkers”, etc. hunting people down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes - you can only follow friends. So you would need to friend everyone in the group.

(The friending process needs an overhaul as well. We have a new design ready to be implemented.)

8 Likes

Oh I thought you meant some way to mark a player without them having to be a friend. In a big group of 20 it just would be nice to easily mark someone without friend setting.

3 Likes

Yes it’s not ideal. I was just trying to think of the shortest path given where we are.

I think the ideal solution would be to create a temporary hunting clan for the day and then have everyone follow whoever they want in the clan group.

4 Likes

Could someone become a designated ‘beacon’ marker? Those are visible to everyone and don’t have a friends system to show on the compass.

That would be great!, but I’d still like to be able to assign visual markers over people heads – and that could be done solely client-side if I’m not mistaken. As long as the server is sending that person’s location to the client, the icon/flag can be added clientside on render. Could even add the compass indicator and waypoint color clientside, so no extra server weight on that. Granted, sending that to other group members does involve a slight bit of bandwidth, possibly just an extra int for flag type… course then you’d need group ID also so it doesn’t show for everyone, and that’d probably need to be a larger int… sigh … nm, lol.

thank you soooo much

And something like the meteor light-beams-from-above for our Set Waypoints, perhaps? :please_with_sugar_on_top: