Boundless Multiverse

Broken, and you can’t.

I play this game almost solely for the mmo aspect of it (that and the grapples)
This update is another ‘meh’ for me.

Once again, I find myself waiting to see what’s next.

4 Likes

Unreal is huge and throws up on Mac

Is there more info in another post? Primordial resin… petrolim… goo? Meeeeep

Floats for boats & planes & ice-sails… robotics, redstonewhateverthatis, puzzle/dungeon mode., musical instruments…

2 Likes

Exos are one of my fav things that they added. Hopefully they’ll be back soon.

4 Likes

Why do all the ps4 players suddenly think there isnt a million companies out there that provide game servers?

minecraft console edition servers dont run on consoles, not running aserver on your console isnt being exclusive if you can still connect to it, its being smart since consoles are consoles and no where near designed to be servers.

Investing time in a universe running on someone’s laptop at home sounds about as futureiffic as having my first unix account & several years of email on a friend’s server.

Also is this why Boundless is b0rked at the moment or is it my local cable provider?

I know nothing about servers and hosts and internets.

2 Likes

I agree, it really should have and I was hoping I had already commented about this on the “what turns you off thread” but it seems I must have only really done so in private circles or loose forum threads…

When I came back to the game (in October or November 2018?) after it’s “official release”, I was surprised that in essence not much had changed. I think the biggest changes for me were new worlds (since the EA worlds I knew were gone) and the Centraforge was new to me too but also the characters had a very different feel now; the skill system looked different from how I first knew it but it still didn’t feel quite right and I was disappointed that gem tools no longer had innate AoE capabilities.

There was a lot about Boundless shortly after release that I really didn’t like and even now still believe could have gone in a very different way.

Heck, I didn’t even have time to try bomb mining (which I wanted to) before it got the nerf…

In any case, I had the expectation that by the time of the game’s official release they would have already iterated through much of the “promised” content that was mentioned on the main website, including animal rearing, farming, titans and other things I no longer remember.

At that time I also already expected they’d have tested and tried messing around with the private and rental worlds ideas, since they originally mentioned this would come at(?) release time. It’s been about two years since said release, and only now have are we really seeing something about this. Nevermind all the other things that have been lost to the cracks since then.

And this comes back to why I have been vocal about the lack of roadmaps myself in the past and have spoken to James in messages about it before too. And I know others who have been similarly displeased by the lack of an official roadmap. But there have been some nice surprises like the addition of the reclaim system for one.

One sticking point for me has to be that the game will still feel extremely sluggish and grindy for new players, making it very easy for them to lose interest I think, especially since they are not (and can’t simply be) equipped with the knowledge of playing the game for hundreds of hours.

Not saying it’s a good thing but I’ve learned to accept the mostly silent front of the dev-team (and they have a right to it regardless of my personal feelings) and for the most part I’ve tried to move away from speculating about the future of the game and try to simply appreciate what does exist and what I can access in the game.

Finally, to play devil’s advocate on one point, as an artist I have also come to understand more clearly over time that good looking concept art like a lot of what was flying around during pre-release, does not mean that the implementation of said concepts is realistically going to come soon, if ever; you can put out visually striking ideas in a few hours as an artist, but to implement those concepts technically and with a decent gameplay feel to them is quite a task by comparison, even with a competent team.

TL;DR: In essence I agree with what I quoted above and despite my nearly 1,900 hours in the game, there is still much that I think could have been so different, or delivered sooner.

4 Likes

2 1/2 years later, and almost 3,000 hrs into it; God, I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

11 Likes

Yeah no, my pc cannot run this game lmao. Which means I’ll just never be able to play on my ps4 on my own world which is truly unfortunate.

This sounds like something @Ratchel would be into :stuck_out_tongue:

Jk I know what that means. But on a serious note, I’ve never seen a roadmap for any game I’ve played in my life. Couldn’t tell you the first or last name of any dev on any other game. Wonderstruck is the bee’s knees.

Yeah but then I essentially just can’t play my ‘own’ world on my ps4. I need to have someone to play with and that person would need to be on pc.

I suppose it’s like a genie’s wish for me. This is what I have wanted, but wait, it is only for pc players and you can connect to their worlds when online.

There’s a possibility that you will be able to run the server on your PC and the game on your PS4. We don’t have enough information to know the requirements for the server, just that the PS4 version of the game is already maxing out the PS4 hardware and there is no power for any server there.

True we don’t know anything but it certainly sounds like the ps4 version is limited.

Also there is no way my pc can run this game.

All your PC would have to do is run some code. It doesn’t have to render the entire game. That job is done client side - aka, your PS4. So, the requirements for a server are usually much lower than the system which the game runs on. So, it’s possible that you may be still able to host a server. But again that would depend on what the requirements will be on release.

1 Like

Are genies conniving like that or just the devil? Pretty sure genies grant your wish in full and also make it rain candy bars.

I was picturing the server being set up for a ps4 player who could jump in at any time, but I guess the PC would need to stay on to run it like old school Minecraft. Don’t listen to me lol I should have deleted my reply when I saw others reply with real answers. Basically Amish when it comes to this.

I think the worries have grown to this point because of the ever-dwindling communication from the devs to the playerbase as to the future of the game. I remember them being much more active in the community on the forum when Oort Online first dropped, but things feel kind of different now, and it saddens me.

I don’t believe the game is going to disappear, and I’m certain that they have a lot of content planned. They just seem to have prioritized updates in a way that the community is less than thrilled about. I’m not as worried as many are, here. I’m sure they know what they are doing. I just wish we had a bit more transparency these days…

3 Likes

I want it. I just don’t think it’s the time for it.

1 Like