Blind speculation? I can do that!
Announcement is that they will be hiring a single rockstar programmer as well as a budget for additional contract work when needed. Additionally, a roadmap of intended changes for this team. The roadmap is just “tentatively planned features”, but with a focus on frequent deliverables over major releases. No planned release dates included, but monthly status updates will be posted on a blog.
- Complete the 249 update
- Implement Steam workshop for sharing world files and profiles
- Improved New Player Experience. Iterating rapidly on the test server, working with existing and new players, collectively develop an improved NPE aimed at player retention and improved difficulty curve
- Release existing decorative objects - art is complete, but recipes are still required
- Release existing mobs - throwy guy and portal stalket
- Chat improvements
- Community feedback time - rapidly discuss and implement high-impact, low-cost community suggestions for improving player retention and acquisition.
As this roadmap comes to a close, the company will gear up for a bigger marketing push, focusing on this set of changes as part of a big Boundless: Unbound version.
Once the marketing push has played out enough to estimate returns, the long-term plans for Boundless will be discussed with the community.
During the Boundless: Unbound period, and beyond, the community will be able to nominate community made mods, from the api released in 249, for inclusion in the vanilla game.
A second player created content program will be opened at some point during the Unbound period, allowing players to submit cosmetics for review to be added to the cubit store.
Compensation for accepted submissions of both cosmetics and mods is to be determined.