Boundless now self published on Steam

But what else are we supposed to do if we can’t doomsay or blindly speculate?! :rofl:

6 Likes

I love speculation. Any speculation but the wipe one because I think that potentially scares away new player. (I know that I would have had no interest in the game if I was expecting a wipe.)

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, we also discussed what would happen if there were a sudden influx of players and how the servers would handle that, so… yeah, just solving hypothetical problems :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It’s specifically clouded. There is no datacenter for this game. 100% external infrastructure.

2 Likes

pretty sure if there are enough new players joining at once the game generates new servers… pretty sure that is how we got the “newest” EU servers that were added.

The discussion that was had about this starts here and runs off and on for the next 50 messages or so.

All we know so far is that Square Enix have given up on Boundless as a lost cause and James has deigned to speak to the community with some vague promise. The celebratory tone of this thread seems a bit premature,

7 Likes

In fairness, he didn’t even need to close that thread. All it would have take to get people to drop the topic (which itself was actually some pretty fair ‘what-if’ sentiments based on the most recent knowledge about server costs and not just doomsaying claims that it would happen) would be turn up and post a message like:

“Despite what Phil said about Boundless costing more to run that in brought in for the Square Enix Collective, we still have a way forward planned that means we can sustainably maintain our promise that Boundless is a persistent universe for the foreseeable future”.

Just for the record (and as perviously stated), most of the speculation around whether there would/could have been a wipe isn’t really about a partner dropping out, but that that partner (or in this case, someone with inside knowledge of the internals) has openly stated that it costs more to run the servers than they have come in as revenue. It’s not unreasonable for people who want Boundless to continue to speculate on how James might have resolved that discrepancy.

But on the whole, I’m glad that there is some plan. I’ve no idea what it’ll be right now, but I’ll be here for it when he announces whatever it is.

4 Likes

That’s what he said, even if in not so many words, lol

As often before, actual message from devs got drowned in sea of speculations and at some point no one seems to remember what started the whole fuss lol. I suppose boredom mixes with excitement. :grin: :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I admit I’d still like a little clarification on this point. To me, his wording didn’t make it clear that the public universe will be able to be continued - maintaining the game as they’ve always done doesn’t have to mean taking over indefinite support of the public servers. It could still include either a change to how it’s run or (my big fear, the reason I posted the article I found on the SEC site) that they might change it to being only run on private servers or single player only. In that form, they could still maintain the game and add content - I fully expect that if the public servers going away is the result, they’ll say that will allow them the funds and time to add more content, and the change will perhaps also allow for more user generated content getting added too.

Like I said, still hoping for the best here. :crossed_fingers: And hoping for the news soon! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I took “continue to maintain” as exactly keeping the servers with current persistent universe, while using “continue to develope” would mean continuing with the game but not necessarily in the same shape.

2 Likes

Why i would like Wipe?
We have some plotting spaghettis being there over a year… That really turns personally me off… I have reported those… Etc but Well nothing happens… Its Pretty shitty When you wanna build but theres some Master mind Who has plots all over the place ( Yes theres those that are before the compactness update).

I name one planet and thats sochaltin… Its a nice planet but spagetti rolls ruin it For me. Theres a ton of those Who i personally have reported myself over a year ago. Nothing has happened.

That is one reason why i want Wipe… Or even want a proper In game admin Who actually gives a ■■■■

1 Like

I truly hope you’re right! :crossed_fingers: Also :crossed_fingers: for news that will put any fears like mine to rest soon! :smiley:

1 Like

both developing and support side of game has been put on hold

if the “exciting news” by james include going back to full on support then compactness-violating beacons will be dealt with eventually, although there will most likely be a lot of those to tackle and could take time

let’s wait and see :sunglasses: :smile:

wipe threat be like:

1 Like

I am intrigued Sir, if there is a future for Boundless, I might rebuy Boundless on Steam and get a new build going. And no worries I will keep my pixelart PG 13 this time :3

1 Like

Last year I warned the community of the “Don’t expect support within a reasonable timeframe” All I got was Oortelf Spam flag warnings. So I am with you on this one…I can’t put the game away/down though…there is SOOO MUCH promise with this. BUT with covid…I am sure there is a GOOD reason why the dev status is where its at. Lack of manpower and working remotely has it challenges. I’ve noticed the team has been looking for an animator, junior animator, and modeler for quiet some time. Could that be the hold up?

There is a game I was interested in…It was a virtual R/C game and development halted and no new content/updates for 5+ years now. All because of the physics programmer leaving the project. Being an R/C simulation game, without a physicals based programmer…I can understand why. Even Creativerse is having issues getting the next update out as well. Could this have happened with boundless where a key person left and it was hard to fill it? Then covid? Just thinking of all the possibilities here as to why the game is where its at. Sept 2020 was the last real update. Covid attacked starting in…October/november. the year before. Covid has really hit every industry hard, especially my area.

Could a simple “Hey thank you all for playing and supporting us but right now Covid has our team in a bind but we are excited to get back to the grind once the storm has passes”- could go a long ways. There were/are players willing to step up and help here as well! All one needs to do is ask :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it was clearly stated the game development would be put on hold due to team members going to larian
it was also stated the game servers would be maintained till their come back (ish)
now we got heads up there would be some exciting news coming soon

straight communication was a rarity but we haven’t been in complete limbo over last 2 years or so

and who is sour now?

we are all just people and with that comes whole plethora of reactions to news (or lack of it): there are optimists, pessimists and realist around here, there are calm and quiet next to hyped and anxious ones; there is space here for all of us, even though the emotions get in the way sometime and we’ve seen some unnecessary clashes getting personal;

still, this community is as sound as one could hope for - compare it to other games for perspective

7 Likes

Well Steam has removed Square Enix as the publisher on the store site.

7 Likes

i understand that, however a clouded solution can cost more over all then a datacenter service. Also the fact that they have the ability to spin up test servers locally (which I have done before to test features, etc) means that in theory the game “could” run on private servers and/or on datacenters. If the concept of cuting costs is a thing, I’m just saying with some modifications it might be more doable then you would think.

There are other options as well such as using a redis server as a passthrough. data is still processed similar to cloud, but to a redis server, and then you can mirror that redis across multiple clusters. you are then not having to pay for the overhead for a large cloud solution which may or may not be needed in the end solution. I mean, we don’t know how much data is stored or transmitted, but most cloud solutions have a flat up front cost for X service level. if the game is only using for example , 30-40% of the paid service level, it means they could be paying for 60% they aren’t using and could be saving.

i’m just saying, there are many options available here. only time will tell what they will announce.