Boundless now self published on Steam

This is what worries me. I’ve seen a lot of people talk about getting rid of some of the public planets, which amounts to a partial wipe for only some players. THAT is not fair. Wipe everyone or no one.

Just know that I think James would avoid that at all costs, unless it was absolutely necessary. I don’t foresee any of that coming. He said it won’t.

I really think some people are restless due to a slowing of communication, no content updates, and so on - so some suggestions may get a little extreme. I also think some people long for the experience of everyone opening up the game for the 1st time. Everyone wants the game to flourish and grow. That’s why everyone is still here, to some degree, even if they are just checking for updates.

I’d love to tell everyone: “Have patience and let’s just see what they’re working on. Wait and see what their plans are. Until then, go play Boundless (or some game) & don’t worry about it. There’s no need to explore worst-case-scenarios.” I know people will keep discussing this though :woman_shrugging:

15 Likes

Yeah I REALLY don’t see a wipe coming. Lol. And I’ve been playing more then usual because I’m hopeful for the future of the game again now that something has happened and we’ve had the first real response from James in a long time. So I’ll just continue doing what I’m doing in game. And enjoy the forums for what they are. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::beers::v:

6 Likes

Wipe Happens

• I Want the Ability to Transfer All my Bought Plots to another Player before Creating another Character for the game
3 Likes

I can’t speak for others, but everything I have built in Boundless (post official launch) still persists today and I have pleanty to lose… not a fraction of what others have, granted.

That being said, a wipe would not be ideal, has been stated as being contrary to the games persistent philosophy, and should not be considered as likely except in the edge cases Majorvex mentioned above. Let’s move past concerns of a wipe, please.

6 Likes

Well said. That is a very healthy way of looking at it.

Maybe you guys can convince him to close his own announcement thread?

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I didn’t read up on all the chatter within this post or others. But the little bit I have read about wipes and all, i kind of don’t understand. I mean, as a server admin from a very large company, I can tell you that having one partner company drop from the game isn’t a cause for concern of a wipe. now, could it be concern for a “downgrade of server quantity” yea, sure … which then would most likely lead to a wipe and/or transfer to another world, but to think they could “move” existing claims/plots with buildings is a bit much.

I’m not saying there will be any of this, just that in my 16 years being a server admin I have seen my share of partner companies drop from agreements. None of that stems into a wipe of data just because of that.

To be totally honest, I’m kind of glad this move has happened and looking forward to how it proceeds. I mean, we haven’t heard much of anything from the DEVs since 2020. Myself, wife, kids, and friends all stepped away from the game because of the lack of communication and new content. I always feel that shifts like this are good forms of shacking things up. It all depends on the desire and ability of the DEVs going forward. I mean, TITANS have been on there website for 4+ years as “coming soon” … maybe this move is all for the best and there is positive things to come to get my family and friends back into the monthly subscription.

Really looking forward to the future on what / how they can turn this around. I mean, if “no mans sky” and “fallout 76” can do it, I’m sure the Devs here can with no issues. I have confidence! Lets all stay positive.

Also if they came back and stated they didn’t have enough rack servers to cover the worlds. I have a 512 gb rack siting around doing nothing as i was hosting 48 atlas server worlds on it and still had 40% mem and CPU available. I’m sure there are enough people that play the game with similar setups that would be willing to host servers if they gave us the ability to. just saying :wink:

8 Likes

People try to solve problem that don’t exist. Just ignore any talk about wipes - there will be no wipe.

4 Likes

But what else are we supposed to do if we can’t doomsay or blindly speculate?! :rofl:

6 Likes

I love speculation. Any speculation but the wipe one because I think that potentially scares away new player. (I know that I would have had no interest in the game if I was expecting a wipe.)

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, we also discussed what would happen if there were a sudden influx of players and how the servers would handle that, so… yeah, just solving hypothetical problems :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It’s specifically clouded. There is no datacenter for this game. 100% external infrastructure.

2 Likes

pretty sure if there are enough new players joining at once the game generates new servers… pretty sure that is how we got the “newest” EU servers that were added.

The discussion that was had about this starts here and runs off and on for the next 50 messages or so.

All we know so far is that Square Enix have given up on Boundless as a lost cause and James has deigned to speak to the community with some vague promise. The celebratory tone of this thread seems a bit premature,

7 Likes

In fairness, he didn’t even need to close that thread. All it would have take to get people to drop the topic (which itself was actually some pretty fair ‘what-if’ sentiments based on the most recent knowledge about server costs and not just doomsaying claims that it would happen) would be turn up and post a message like:

“Despite what Phil said about Boundless costing more to run that in brought in for the Square Enix Collective, we still have a way forward planned that means we can sustainably maintain our promise that Boundless is a persistent universe for the foreseeable future”.

Just for the record (and as perviously stated), most of the speculation around whether there would/could have been a wipe isn’t really about a partner dropping out, but that that partner (or in this case, someone with inside knowledge of the internals) has openly stated that it costs more to run the servers than they have come in as revenue. It’s not unreasonable for people who want Boundless to continue to speculate on how James might have resolved that discrepancy.

But on the whole, I’m glad that there is some plan. I’ve no idea what it’ll be right now, but I’ll be here for it when he announces whatever it is.

4 Likes

That’s what he said, even if in not so many words, lol

As often before, actual message from devs got drowned in sea of speculations and at some point no one seems to remember what started the whole fuss lol. I suppose boredom mixes with excitement. :grin: :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I admit I’d still like a little clarification on this point. To me, his wording didn’t make it clear that the public universe will be able to be continued - maintaining the game as they’ve always done doesn’t have to mean taking over indefinite support of the public servers. It could still include either a change to how it’s run or (my big fear, the reason I posted the article I found on the SEC site) that they might change it to being only run on private servers or single player only. In that form, they could still maintain the game and add content - I fully expect that if the public servers going away is the result, they’ll say that will allow them the funds and time to add more content, and the change will perhaps also allow for more user generated content getting added too.

Like I said, still hoping for the best here. :crossed_fingers: And hoping for the news soon! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I took “continue to maintain” as exactly keeping the servers with current persistent universe, while using “continue to develope” would mean continuing with the game but not necessarily in the same shape.

2 Likes