Boundless now self published on Steam

Why i would like Wipe?
We have some plotting spaghettis being there over a year… That really turns personally me off… I have reported those… Etc but Well nothing happens… Its Pretty shitty When you wanna build but theres some Master mind Who has plots all over the place ( Yes theres those that are before the compactness update).

I name one planet and thats sochaltin… Its a nice planet but spagetti rolls ruin it For me. Theres a ton of those Who i personally have reported myself over a year ago. Nothing has happened.

That is one reason why i want Wipe… Or even want a proper In game admin Who actually gives a ■■■■

1 Like

I truly hope you’re right! :crossed_fingers: Also :crossed_fingers: for news that will put any fears like mine to rest soon! :smiley:

1 Like

both developing and support side of game has been put on hold

if the “exciting news” by james include going back to full on support then compactness-violating beacons will be dealt with eventually, although there will most likely be a lot of those to tackle and could take time

let’s wait and see :sunglasses: :smile:

wipe threat be like:

1 Like

I am intrigued Sir, if there is a future for Boundless, I might rebuy Boundless on Steam and get a new build going. And no worries I will keep my pixelart PG 13 this time :3

1 Like

Last year I warned the community of the “Don’t expect support within a reasonable timeframe” All I got was Oortelf Spam flag warnings. So I am with you on this one…I can’t put the game away/down though…there is SOOO MUCH promise with this. BUT with covid…I am sure there is a GOOD reason why the dev status is where its at. Lack of manpower and working remotely has it challenges. I’ve noticed the team has been looking for an animator, junior animator, and modeler for quiet some time. Could that be the hold up?

There is a game I was interested in…It was a virtual R/C game and development halted and no new content/updates for 5+ years now. All because of the physics programmer leaving the project. Being an R/C simulation game, without a physicals based programmer…I can understand why. Even Creativerse is having issues getting the next update out as well. Could this have happened with boundless where a key person left and it was hard to fill it? Then covid? Just thinking of all the possibilities here as to why the game is where its at. Sept 2020 was the last real update. Covid attacked starting in…October/november. the year before. Covid has really hit every industry hard, especially my area.

Could a simple “Hey thank you all for playing and supporting us but right now Covid has our team in a bind but we are excited to get back to the grind once the storm has passes”- could go a long ways. There were/are players willing to step up and help here as well! All one needs to do is ask :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it was clearly stated the game development would be put on hold due to team members going to larian
it was also stated the game servers would be maintained till their come back (ish)
now we got heads up there would be some exciting news coming soon

straight communication was a rarity but we haven’t been in complete limbo over last 2 years or so

and who is sour now?

we are all just people and with that comes whole plethora of reactions to news (or lack of it): there are optimists, pessimists and realist around here, there are calm and quiet next to hyped and anxious ones; there is space here for all of us, even though the emotions get in the way sometime and we’ve seen some unnecessary clashes getting personal;

still, this community is as sound as one could hope for - compare it to other games for perspective

7 Likes

Well Steam has removed Square Enix as the publisher on the store site.

7 Likes

i understand that, however a clouded solution can cost more over all then a datacenter service. Also the fact that they have the ability to spin up test servers locally (which I have done before to test features, etc) means that in theory the game “could” run on private servers and/or on datacenters. If the concept of cuting costs is a thing, I’m just saying with some modifications it might be more doable then you would think.

There are other options as well such as using a redis server as a passthrough. data is still processed similar to cloud, but to a redis server, and then you can mirror that redis across multiple clusters. you are then not having to pay for the overhead for a large cloud solution which may or may not be needed in the end solution. I mean, we don’t know how much data is stored or transmitted, but most cloud solutions have a flat up front cost for X service level. if the game is only using for example , 30-40% of the paid service level, it means they could be paying for 60% they aren’t using and could be saving.

i’m just saying, there are many options available here. only time will tell what they will announce.

They use AWS EC2 servers, dude.

Based on the hostnames the game servers use, they have just over 20 separate instances if I’m remembering correctly. I think they only scale up as needed.

Admittedly, since EC2 instances are fairly inflexible on the CPU/RAM ratios, they could potentially get some savings with a setup that more precisely matches their needs, but that’s impossible to know until/unless we get access to the standalone server software.

I’m aware they are using AWS EC2 servers. What we don’t know is it they are using “on-demand”, “instanced”, or “dedicated servers”. Each with different upfront, per query, and storage costs. Also each with there own limitations and quotas allowed without the upfront costs. I totally agree that we don’t know what we don’t know however it’s not unreasonable for a company to look at all options when being faced with costs higher then profits, assuming that’s accurate from past feedback provided to us. I may be totally off base and maybe they allready looked at the options I mentioned, however it’s also possible that they are looking into these options and are finding them feasible.

All I was stating in my original reply was that if they need a server and if they are considering that model in the future, I’m able to help. have a rack server with 20TB of storage and and Dual 100gb network dedicated to it. i use it currently for development UAT testing for my clients and it’s not being used otherwise. can’t blame me for offering to help as a “just in case”.

3 Likes

I still don’t want a wipe just the removal of all these plots with nothing on them that haven’t been built.on for over a year.

All the ashed plots and dead shops.in malls all should just go away if you ask me.

Lot of nice places to build that are just plotted with nothing on them…

1 Like

many people would disagree, but i have to say the concept of starting fresh is kind of nice. However, I’m talking from the mindset of someone that isn’t currently playing and I have no plots but have all my stuff in my claim box thing just waiting for me to place it again, so it wouldn’t impact me at all. if anything it would help me. But yea, a fresh start would be nice, but also everyone losing some of the really cool building and all would really suck.

hm, kinds me a thought of a mod in minecraft where you can safe structures / claimed chunks. Maybe “IF” the devs determine a server cleanup (don’t like to use the work wipe) … is needed, they give any players with claims the ability to specify which chunks they wish to save, and it would “save” them as a placable object. When that object is placed, it would re-place the claim/plot that was recalled with all the structures in tact. would make people that want to hold onto there structures the ability to save them… and others that want to start on cleaner worlds that ability as well.

1 Like

The idea of a blueprint system has been mentioned a few times. I am simply stating empty plots that haven’t been built on in over a year that are currently totally and empty or ash should just be removed.

There are a lot of plots people have placed to either grief people or simply holding on to it for whatever ungodly reason. Walk through the old area of DK Mall, Gyosha Mall and you’ll understand. On top of that there are areas with 100’s and 1000’s of plots with nothing in them that are just sitting there and have been that way for over a year. If someone has claimed something and sat on it for over a year and its totally empty… WTF.

2 Likes

If it’s all clouded, then could that explain the connection issue that a lot of people are having?

DO IT!!!

2 Likes

To be entirely honest, we’re probably much better off connecting to the various amazon data centers than if the game was self-hosted, especially if it was at the wonderstruck offices.

Right now I’m most of the time connected to a local datacenter here within a few hundred miles of me. Sometimes things are spotty to the other datacenters, sometimes not. If they self-hosted it would mean all of us connecting through their single ISP/connection, all the time.

1 Like

I never really had a bad connection except on a couple of planets. Now even my home world gives me issues. Still playable though for now.

When I first started in 2019, had no issues. But things started getting worse around January 2021. Now it doesn’t matter what world I’m on. I’ll have unstable connection warning pop up every 5 minutes. Lots of rubber banding.
This is the ONLY game I have this issue with.

Weirdly I’ve been the exact opposite, but it’s coincided with another change I’ve made to my connectivity which weirdly triggers some folks (dunno whys) here when I mention it, so I can’t be bothered to go into it. … sad that this happened to you, though.