Boundless now self published on Steam

Waiting on my steam deck to come in rn too lol

1 Like

So you support dev’s being dishonest and non-transparent? I mean we are now waiting MONTHS for this exciting news? Seems a little hazey and grey…

I think you should read this:
How to Appease an Upset Customer - Randy Clark Leadership Training

No need to assist James there, he’s got that one covered

2 Likes

I don’t support them being dishonest, but transparency isn’t a given. I know you were primarily upset about them not delivering on some things they promised during the crowdfunding campaign, and that’s perfectly understandable. But rather than accepting that you’re not going to get everything you thought you were and moving on, after trying everything you can to make that happen, you seem to want to dwell on the fact and make digs at the developers at every opportunity. It’s not healthy for you, the developers or the community.

Crowdfunding campaigns are notorious for not always delivering the things they promised. I’ve been burnt on multiple campaigns in the past, but rather than spending my time since making constant attempts to get noticed by the people who ran those campaigns and attacking them in forums, I’ve chalked it up to experience and moved on. You helped in a small way to bring this game to life, and you should be proud of that. Enjoy what you have and stop dwelling on what might have been.

5 Likes

Absolutely, if something is teased then there’s a delay just say sorry, its gone south will update you asap

Honestly you are missing my point here. Why am I still around? Why do I still bring up these items? If I didn’t care…

Lets say I am your Boss. You continue to make mistakes, miss deadlines, and fail to communicate. How would you expect me to respond? Its obvious as an early supporter that the team doesn’t care about how they respond to players. If boundless 2.0 were to come down the pipeline and James wants more crowdfunding…based on my Oort Online/Boundless experience. I’d rather support Portal Knights at this point or even creativerse (Entu <3 )

But pushing disappointed players away, not effectively addressing concerns, and staying silent for nearly two years. Its not showing good leadership, just please as a programmer…do not go into the fetal position and hide when things get tough.

TLDR: If I didn’t care…I wouldn’t speak up.

2 Likes

You’re not their boss in this situation. You’re someone who donated a relatively small amount of money to help fund the development of a game, along with many other people. The developers don’t have to answer to you directly, as you’re not a shareholder in the business.

5 Likes

Man you have a really bad concept of customer service for a live service game.

2 Likes

So paying supporting customers have no value?

I never said that. I just said the developers don’t need to answer directly to you. Stop trying to put words into my mouth to create more conflict where it’s not needed.

2 Likes

From a typical player/dev point of view I totally understand this outlook, but as somebody who is… was friends with James I feel like I have enough insight to his thinking to confidentially disagree with this particular sentiment. Boundless had it’s fair share of monetization and all the business aspects that are needed to sustain a project as long as it has been in development this far, but early on I got the sense from James that Boundless was very much a passion project with high aspirations and lofty goals. Obviously much of that never panned out for technical or contractual reasons, but it does not fit my experience to say that James does not care and it is “just business.” He’s not that shrewd of a person. There have been big let downs in the last few years, but I don’t believe that is the result of the callous disregard that seems to be implied here.
All that said, I still believe Boundless is being developed as a passion project… likely entirely by James himself in his limited free time. Placing arbitrary expectations will only serve to burn yourselves out and burn what little passion that is left for this game out as well. We have seen pleanty of examples in the past how even extreme success does nothing against a passionate community with high expectations. If even Notch with his billions of dollars from the success of Minecraft can get burnt out by the passions of his community, the same can very much happen here with James and our community.

I guess all I’m saying with way too many words is can be simplified to “dont set expectations that are bound to disappoint everyone involved, yourselves and devs included.”

11 Likes

Thank You for participating and proving my point about how well this community customer service works.

1 Like

With your massive insight and great friendship, can you politely tell me

Not spoken to him for about two years now, but if you’re asking me to say why he hasn’t followed up since making this thread, I can only guess (emphasis on guess) that he plans to follow up when what ever it is he is going to announce is settled. If like I suspect he is working on multiple things at once and Boundless is being handled in his spare time, then he likely never had a fixed time table to follow up like the community has interpreted. It’s also entirely possible he said screw it, nothing I say or do will satisfy this community and walked away. I’ve certainly felt that way about projects that got out of my scope before, but I doubt that’s the case here.

I said earlier in this thread, don’t hold your breath for any big world changing announcements this year.

9 Likes

I felt left out :rofl:

2 Likes

I have to agree. Met a new guy on Sorissi. Answered questions and helped a bit to get him started. About 12 hours later, I got a message saying, “This game is not what I expected. You have fun. I’m going back to Destiny 2.”

Ain’t that the truth. Some of those game are brutal on the grind. Makes Boundless look like a cake walk.

Now see, when I played minecraft for the first time (after playing Boundless first) I had a hard time finding materials while dealing with the stuff that wants to constantly kill you.

I could honestly take the game as is. My biggest issue is connection. From the point I started (June 2019) until the time of the final announcement (december 2020) my connection was stable with very little issue. Over the past 2 years, my connection to the game has gotten worse and worse. Dropped frames, rubber banding, blocks reappearing after mining, or blocks disappearing and reappearing in a different spot than placed. This has become a daily issue with me. My ISP hasn’t changed. It’s the same as when I first started. And I’m not the only one complaining about this issue. It’s not on my end, despite what they say. The servers need a shut down and full maintenance done.

4 Likes

There was recently someone that came back and streamed boundless. And she said how she likes this game actually so I helped her out with just a few things because I didn’t feel like it’s worth to give much as I had already the feeling she will not return like many others Host and I helped to start off. And yeah she was streaming her maybe 2 hours of boundless to pick maybe a few viewers and followers up and then ever since I haven’t seen her streaming boundless again in weeks. Such a shame and waste.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Happy to be proven wrong about not getting an announcement soon. But I wasn’t all wrong! Looks like he was indeed waiting to finalize things, and now we know what that was and why it took this long.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.