Boundless now self published on Steam

Then why are you replying to this is you are so happy with your service? I feel I was pretty clear and said if you are complaining and expect anything different, you need to take some kind of action yourself, seeing as the devs haven’t taken that action. then you step in to say you are happy with the service and happy with paying it? good for you I guess, you are one of a few otherwise this forum wouldn’t be going on for so long. There are alot of unhappy people with how things are being handled, my message is directed to them. Seems like you aren’t one of them, so not sure what else to say on that really

Yup. Canceling that stuff would just be like cutting off one’s own nose to spite thier face. I know I’m not gonna shoot myself in the foot just to get dev attention. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

and if they did that, it would proof they don’t care. I mean I’ll be honest, at this point, i just want to know if the company collectively even cares to hold onto and progress this game. Getting news on the “future of boundless” would be nice but I feel (at least for me and selective others) first we need to know if it’s even desired from them … if it’s not, then what is the point in any future news because it would allready set the stage that they don’t care.

Now ,I’m “HOPING” they do care, and “HOPING” they want to no only keep the game operational and also progress it, and would love detailed new… but do they even want it anymore? noone has asked that question from what i have seen, and I think that is what people are getting upset about, their actions (or lack of ) are showing a lack of desire for their clients.

not true. It worked with “No Mans Sky” … it worked with "FFXIV’ … it worked with “EQ1” … 2 games of which are high end MMOs that are still very active and making profit.

but if that is your thought, so be it. keep paying them. Others may not admit it, but anyone that left the game due to lack of updates, content, etc over the past 2-3 years… I could argue was all due to the same reason, because they felt ignored, unappreciated as customers, etc. They just made the move way earlier is all.

Because it is a general counter to your general statement that they are not providing the promised service. The service that has been explicitly promised is being completely fulfilled. At least for the recurring subs stuff. The original purchase has some misinformation in the trailer that, while I knew what I was getting into, it is completely fair for people to be frustrated about the value of that initial purchase.

If they did that, it would prove they literally couldn’t afford to keep the servers running. People can care about something without being able to afford it.

4 Likes

I never said it wouldn’t work… I said I wouldn’t cancel a service I enjoy the benefits from to make a change. I’m not that altruistic. :crazy_face:

Edit: Gleam club and sovereigns are services that are rendered once paid for. I pay for these because I want the benfits provided. I’m literally getting what I pay for.

NOT paying for those would hurt me far more than wonderstruck.

1 Like

I guess what I’m saying is, it’s only a matter of time that everyone will sooner or later stop paying for services if the lack of new services, updates, communication, etc never comes. their current lack of communication is only pushing that along faster then normal at this point. people on here are getting more and more upset, I’m just one of the few stating the inevitable. Maybe the company will read these posts and realize that’s the future if they don’t do something, or maybe not. I don’t know. I’m just very frustrated because of the past 2-3 years of this game, I see it going down hill more before it rebounds, which really sucks.

Even if they care a LOT, money is money, kids have to be fed and bills paid - there is a practical limit to what people will sacrifice even for what they are passionate about, and such a move could push them to that. But even if they don’t care, I would like the game to keep running in it’s current state, both for my own enjoyment and for the benefit of people here I truly care about who also enjoy it as it is.

Don’t get me wrong - the feeling they don’t care absolutely bothers me, the vibe from the absolute change in tone that they’re over it. I have a sense of guilt mingled in my enjoyment of the game, the feeling that my pleasure is coming at the cost of something they might now feel is a burden, and that they resent people like me. I still promote the game on Twitter but it has crossed my mind they might not like that, they might want to keep the player base small as possible to make it more easily sustainable for them now. They certainly gave up on promoting it there themselves it appears. BUT, they do have the freedom to take this down if it becomes unbearable… so since they haven’t, I’ll continue to play.

This is also different than the other games you mentioned because of the extreme small size of the playerbase now - this isn’t something that is or sadly probably will provide any real income for them. They have a MUCH larger project they are working on that is paying the bills. This was a passion project at one point and I do believe they want to preserve the legacy of their work and ours even if they have totally soured on it, and anything they are doing at this point isn’t about the money, since unless they have something really big in the works they’re keeping quiet about it, the potential of big money right now - especially when tied up with their other work - I just don’t see that there.

4 Likes

Naoki Yoshida is miracle worker thou. and FF14’s case required a modest to large change of staff, something I don’t think will ever happen with Boundless, We are stuck with the people we got working on the game.

Oh well then we’re fucked, since I’m pretty sure nobody is actively working on it right now :upside_down_face:

I think that most of what I argue for on here is:

• Play the game for what it is today, not what it might be tomorrow.
  • If you don’t enjoy the game how it is
  • If you stop playing, come back if the game, or you, changes in a way that you do want to play.

If you follow those rules, then the lack of communication doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is if the game gets an actual update.

Maybe I’m just being too materialistic/nihilistic… Hmm…

2 Likes

I’ll add something here too: for everything I’m upset about now, taken offense at, whatever, that will never override the gratitude I have for what this game has given me. Even if they were to pull the plug and directly cuss me out. I never want to cause hurt or harm the game… so my harsh critiques are as far as I’ll go, and I pretty much limit those to this board and keep a mostly positive front on elsehwere.

If James came on here and asked for help with a gofundme, not for the game at all but for himself & family, my gratitude for his work is still such that I’d happily help as much as I could, just as I’ve helped out other people here who have needed it, because even if we don’t all always see eye to eye or get our wires crossed communicating, I care about you all and the friends I’ve made here have helped me through some of the roughest times in my life. Nothing can take away what this game has given me, I’d be in a much worse spot psychologically if I never found it… no bad decisions or abandonment now can take away that benefit I got, so the gratitude for what went into making it what it was is unconditional. I gripe because I care and I want better for it, and I hurt to see how they are acting and what the community has withered away into, the loss of really good people from the game.

I hope the game continues on as it is indefinitely. But even if not, even the sad end will never override the good things it gave me. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Agreed. However I just want to add that unfortunately that’s now how most of society works. Proof behind this is the fact of so many people that left the game already, and alot of them won’t return unless there is some kind of update, new features, etc. not sure if new “future planning” will bring people back because the devs burnt those bridges when they didn’t deliver what they promised.

I see all this daily with my companies and with my family. I previously had 9 gleamclubs and 3 Sov worlds to supply my family and friends. Roughly 80% of them keep returning to “Minecraft” … why? not for the graphics or the features or the people. No, it’s because of the updates and communications. Also because of the “New monthly Mod Packs” with there monthly subscription. So every month it gives them a reason to return. and keeps them busy for a month. The others keep returning to “Diablo 3” …why? again, Season passes, regular content updates, and communication of future updates along with follow through to deliver them.

I know don’t man… maybe the devs / company needs to consider a different approach here and they need to partner with a larger competitor to come up with something new with all the same things we love. or maybe they need to consider the fact that they are at the bottom of the barrel and before it gets any lower, they need to make some kind of major change, otherwise the game isn’t going to sustain it’s self. I’m pretty sure if they announced they needed help, the community has enough people with enough larger companies and/or skills to help them get back on their feet. But they aren’t asking for help, or saying they are in trouble, so we only assume they are doing semi ok …

1 Like

ohh fully agree. Amen to that. it’s funny I was just typing out that they aren’t asking for help but the community is here, if they would just communicate, lol. I went through some hard times myself a few years back where I lose my house due to a house fire and all. now i had some backing, but the support i had from my clients I support was so up there that I can support this fully.

2 Likes

one thing i want to add/expand on your message…

• even if they opened a GoFundMe or anything similar pertaining to the game, to keep the servers running. I’m sure their is enough people that support him and the community for this game that they would step up and help there, again you said not for the game. .I’m saying if it was for the game they would still help.
1 Like

Maybe James posted the “update soon” message just to see how many responses or views he would get, and how long we’d carry on posting here for.

Or maybe he read the responses and figured sod spending my spare time after working on BG3 working on this

Tried that with the Larian forums. It got attention haha.

1 Like

That was an actual written letter that you sent? :rofl:
I thought it was an email!

I should send a poem.
"Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
We’re still waiting for 249.
Move your butts before I send you
the head of the dead horse
I’ve been beating for 2 years straight!"

3 Likes

1 Like

It was just a forum post actually. Got a reaction out of it even though I was just wanting some information about Boundless as we had zero information.

Only other update we received was a reaction to SE.

More like

1 Like