Boundless now self published on Steam

Might as well call it a day tomorrow If no announcements, can’t see James doing a big reveal at weekends- not much ever got done on those (not that this is a bad thing, having a family life etc is important)

2 Likes

This phenomenon went from absolutely baffling me, to somewhat offending me, to in the present day being my only source of entertainment on the forums.

The short explanation for me is, I became disenchanted not long after launch. It became clear to me that the game was not going to be what I thought it would and, most importantly for this argument, not what I’d been led to believe it would be. I wasn’t alone; you can look at the Steam activity charts and see how many full-time players and positive reviews and active Twitch streams all evaporated during that time, and how the trajectory of the game became set in stone as a result.

AND YET, the amount of anticipation and forgiveness/mercy on the forums has never dissipated. A lot of it is regenerated by the arrival of new names and faces who go through the same steps of love and then despair and then grieving that so many others before them have gone through, but the true heroes are the ones who’ve been here all along and are still cheering for the game after YEARS of accumulated data and experience.

The game has consistently failed to deliver - sometimes on promises explicitly made in writing (backer rewards), very frequently on proposed changes (lances, titans, the Hunter, etc.), and occasionally even on the most basic necessities (YOU’RE IN AN MMO AND YOUR CHAT BARELY WORKS). Communication has been going downhill since… probably late 2017, when the “weekly” dev updates were weekly in name only. Even when we assumed that they had money and time, these problems persisted and worsened; now that we imagine that they’re off in some magical place and can’t be bothered to check in once a year, the standard has been set even lower.

At this point, I think some people would be grateful and applaud them if they even bothered to message us and tell us when they came to turn off the servers. So kind! So thoughtful!

The argument that people should take the game for what it is, is certainly a defensible one. If you enjoy it and continue to enjoy it… Well, I think you could set your standards a bit higher but I can’t fault the logic in what you’re doing. But no one should be expecting a change in direction from a company that’s been consistently underwhelming, and no one should be content with how the game’s been handled for what is becoming the majority of its post-release lifespan.

For those of you who are at the edge of your seats, waiting for an unknown announcement on the imaginary date of 11 September… What could they say and do that would ACTUALLY change the direction of the game? And then, based on their history, what are the odds of them ACTUALLY doing what they say they will? And then, what are the odds of that decision ACTUALLY keeping the game afloat for any significant length of time?

… Oh, but there’s always hope. It’s all we have left.

3 Likes

Did the local universe worlds always spawn with water falls and resin falls and lava falls before (on the highest of the mixed-biome worlds)? I only had it work once, but couple days ago i tried it again (definition of insanity but hey it worked THIS time). It seems very very touchy, with frequent crashes when I click to open a log that is already open or look at forged bits or one or two other crashes I forget.

I’ve been wondering what happened, honestly. I’d razz you for being silly but you’re very persistent. I don’t think the game will ever recover from your last rampage, it really fractured what was left of the community.

Perhaps this time you’ll be able to finish it off.

1 Like

What rampage? When he was doom-saying regularly a few months ago?
Yeah well, look where we still are today, it’s not like if James proved him wrong with his “in the coming weeks” joke. We’ve passed the 2 months mark since the start of this thread, and soon, we’ll be passed the 2 years mark since the last content update.
If Dhusk starts dunking on the game on Steam, you’d be dellusional to blame HIM.

2 Likes

He is in his right to bash this game. No communication, stalled development, and Seemingly no desire to stop the train from derailing.
They should just shut the forums down at this point because of the constant wtf is going on with this game posts. But they don’t it’s almost like they just don’t care hmm. If they just address the elephant in the room maybe we would stop bashing their poor communication skills. Or not.

2 Likes

I see that everything remains the same, without an update and with fans defending what the owners of the game themselves cannot defend. But I understand them, it must be difficult to be lied to your face so much and still have to please your master.

I’ll just say the magic words: Soon™ :kissing_smiling_eyes:

For me the game already is what i thought it would be, sure i thought there would be a few more people, and we’d have titians by now, but other than that all my expectations were exceeded in the first 18 months.

They spent a lot of development time trying to fix behavior issues and exploits and that took away from development of new things… Was it the right call? I don’t know, we lost many players each time, but each objectively made the game better but upset many players as well… The cost was higher than i would have thought at the time though.

I’m seeing another shrinking sandbox mmo that i play go through the same motions right now, but they are being much slower to react to the community in these first two years since it’s launch and that is shrinking it nearly as quickly as boundless did (just had more initial players to bleed off)…

I’m afraid it’s the sandbox mmo genre, they don’t seem to hold players long, they aren’t as flashy as the true mmorpgs, they tend to be much lighter on story, and have slower gameplay and just as long of grinds… I love the genre, which is why I’m here, but it doesn’t bring in the revenue like other types of mmos, and this is an indy atempt at a game scope well above their dev teams weight.

2 Likes

Threats of losing business don’t actually scare or worry successful businesses. I don’t care what my customers think or say about me, I will continue to take their money and smile about how they can’t provide themselves with the service I can.

Threats have even less effect when being reissued, and never actualized.

If you want to be taken seriously you have to walk away and not look back, even when new stuff arrives.

Continuing to use a service you loathe still contributes to it’s success and trashing it does basically nothing. (Bad PR is still PR.)

There is always fresh incoming faces with money and time and energy, threats are basically just yelling at waves on the beach and thinking it retreated because of your shenanigans.

It kind of depends on the situation, I have seen enough Businesses deploy their Legal team to try to suppress bad PR.

Yeah, there’s a limit to how far that “Bad PR is still PR” saying can bring you. ^^

The sad part is that Boundless deserves so much better. The potential is there!

I think people need to take a breath and calm down. We’re talking about a small development team and a game here. You already have the game you paid for, you’ve probably played it and enjoyed it for more time than most other games in your library, and at this point anything that’s added to this years-old game is just a bonus.

Could communication be better from the development team? Of course. But they don’t owe you anything. They aren’t a government. They aren’t your boss. They’re just people trying to make a living from doing something they love, and having to constantly see people complain and attack them for not releasing an update to a game at a time after initial release most other games would have been abandoned and left to gather dust without a single update.

I honestly think that those of you who are so unhappy that you spend your days complaining about it on a forum should just uninstall the game and find a new game to be passionate about. The developers don’t owe you anything at this point, and you’re just going to keep making yourself more angry.

I hope we do get some small final update before they sunset the game, but at this point they’re probably making just enough from gleam club and sovereign planets that they don’t want to tell people that the game is done. If anything I’m expecting the news to be that they’re starting work on a successor to Boundless and that they’re going to be releasing the local universes as a final update before saying goodbye.

5 Likes

I stopped reading right there. I do not. There are a significant number of features that were promised that have never been delivered.

5 Likes

I’m assuming you bought the game in crowdfunding or early access. There’s always a risk when buying a game before it reaches full release, and you usually take that risk in exchange for a lower price or insight into the development process. Planned features aren’t promises and are always subject to change. No amount of complaining or badmouthing the game or developer will ever change that.

2 Likes

They’re literally still on the website…

3 Likes

I just wanted to put this here cause why not… but this game runs beautifully on the Steam Deck. Best-on-the-go platform for Boundless.

7 Likes

Yep, Boundless really is great on it! :smiley: Steam Deck is awesome, a few little bumps in the road with it, but that has to be expected with a new system like this I suppose - it has rapidly has become my favorite toy! :grin:

7 Likes

And it literally says on the website that some features listed aren’t in the game, but are planned for the future. The website could clearly do with an update, but otherwise I’m not sure why you’re reading it like a contract.

3 Likes

Interesting to hear it plays well on steam deck. I have boundless on ps4, but I mainly play pc games now, especially on my steam deck. I’m not buying it again on a different platform the way things are atm though. Even discounted.

Having played exclusively with mouse and keyboard, playing on the Steam Deck is taking some getting used to. It really is amazing it runs though, given that my desktop PC sounds like a wind turbine whenever I run Boundless. :smile:

1 Like