Boundless now self published on Steam

I’ll add, if any are considering it, only thing that is a little wonky with Steam Deck Boundless is chat - it works but takes a little getting used to bringing up the SD keyboard. Text input issues also seem fairly common with games on Steam Deck, I’ve had various issues with it, like one of the Fallout games not accepting capital letters, for example.

I’ve heard they are working on a new SD model, I’ll probably buy as I love it so much so will want to upgrade. One other little downside with the SD, compared to a handheld like the Switch - battery life. Got mine in April and I’d say it’s ability to hold a charge since then is down about 1/3 already. If I turned down the brightness might get a couple hours off Boundless though now still on it, I usually play where a charger is nearby so not too big a deal for me. Simple games you’ll get more time.

1 Like

This is common in game development, I’m still waiting on my air based vehicle combat that World of Warcraft promised on the game box art for wrath of the lichking in writing back in 2008, it never came, it was too hard, wasn’t worth the resources, and well that huge studio over promised, which they did again in Warlords of draenor with their promise of racial buildings in the closet thing to player housing they ever made (that one didn’t make the box though).

That was blizzard who have hundreds of people working on a game… Indy development is very easy to over promise and under deliver, most indies nearly always never mean to over promise, but game development isn’t easy, and they often just are excited to share their cool ideas that they haven’t fully vetted out. I wish we got everything on the website, like races, and titians, but it is unreasonable to say a game I’ve spent over 1000 hours on wasn’t worth my money, or was a bad product to stear people away from…

4 Likes

I think people should stop acting like James is your friend
devs nor admins care much about players. it is just pure business.
the mention of updates is a way to keep players active and lure new ones and old ones back (what we have recently seen)
just face it, a new player will just take your place, where one player leaves, another joins.

just enjoy the game and chillax.
its mostly the community that makes us stick around, not the developers

3 Likes

I still prefer my laptop. Although my son does have it on his Steamdeck

@james Well since my voice is not being heard nor cared for. $50/month to support a company that milks me for money and doesn’t value my Early backing…time to support better development companies then.

6 Likes

They’re not milking you for money if what you’re paying for is an optional purchase. You’re not paying a compulsory monthly subscription fee, you’re paying for a couple of planets and some emojis. You’ve been unhappy for a long time, and at this point I don’t know what you honestly expect the team to do for you. Being an early backer doesn’t make you more important than anyone else who paid for the game. I think you’re just here to complain.

8 Likes

Anyone who’s got thousands of hours into this game has clearly enjoyed their time. Even hundreds of hours. How many hours into how many games have we all put in our time as gamers? How many of those games are still online or around for us to play? Boundless is just another game that will eventually come to a end just like all the others before and that’s the way it is. Enjoy it while you can, or don’t. There’s plenty of other games out there that will also eventually go away for those who are not happy anymore.

13 Likes

I think the community just wants to be heard or at least given the perception they are heard. It is due to the lack of communication. It causes speculation, disdain, and just an overall feeling of abandonment.

It is pretty painful at times for me to play the game when I am given the perception that I care more about the game and the community than the developers do. I still play it, but I play it less than I did.

Love the game… and I say that every time, but I’m not blind some people are just fed up and really you can’t blame them like many of you do. Blame the devs. These people may still complain, but right now I think they have a pretty solid foundation to complain on.

1 Like

That was a reply to one specific person, not everyone that has complaints. I get the frustration, as I’ve felt it myself. But at the end of the day, it’s just a game. If it gets updates, it gets updates. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t. No amount of complaining will change that, and excessive negativity will only serve to push the developers away from both the community and the game. Why would they want to spend their time working on something they only get criticised for?

4 Likes

I know Ardele, I speak to him on a daily basis in voice on Discord and I value his input. If you actually talked to him, you’d probably understand his opinion and point of view a bit more. If I was a developer, I would reach out to him (and others) about his/their concerns, especially when directly emailed or messaged. I would at least have a community manager to address these.

Because they said they would update the game. I work for a very large company; do you realize how many complaints we get and how nearly any and all direct complaints to us are actually addressed? It’s just called caring … give the perception you don’t care, and neither will your community.

2 Likes

The problem I have with playing Boundless on my Deck is that NMS always seems to be running instead.

2 Likes

palomitas-eating-popcorn

6 Likes

Maybe we should make our own game.

7 Likes

I am a game developer, and addressing individual complaints about the direction of game development is the perfect way to drive yourself to a nervous breakdown. Technical and payment issues are generally the only problems you address directly. That’s not to say that you don’t listen to feedback, but on the whole you just stick to your vision and get it done.

That being said, I’ve never had to support an MMO. I agree that James shouldn’t have teased us like that and then gone silent, but I’m assuming there are business reasons for this. Maybe they need to secure some funding before they can make a public announcement, and maybe there were hitches with that after his initial tease and updating us on the lack of updates would cause further issues. I think we just need to continue playing the game as we are, and any future announcement will be a nice bonus. There’s literally no point working yourself into a frenzy about something we can’t even guess about.

6 Likes

Then say that… pretty simple.

1 Like

If you do, I would suggest you start out focusing on how to get ai pathfinding to work efficiently in a voxel engine. That seems to be where most voxel mmos blow up in development.

1 Like

Well, more ideal to start with world generation first. But I agree AI pathfinding in a voxel world will be a challenge.

1 Like

Waiting on my steam deck to come in rn too lol

1 Like

So you support dev’s being dishonest and non-transparent? I mean we are now waiting MONTHS for this exciting news? Seems a little hazey and grey…

I think you should read this:
How to Appease an Upset Customer - Randy Clark Leadership Training

No need to assist James there, he’s got that one covered

2 Likes