Boundless Texture Packs

I’ve been looking a bit through the numerous Boundless assets - the texture files and such - and it’s definitely a bit more complex than Minecraft. Heh. You actually use .dds files. :wink:

I’m curious - in the current state of Boundless, is it possible to save a separate copy of the textures folder, edit each of the textures, and replace the folder so you have the new textures in-game? If not, is this something that will ever be supported?

I’m not personally looking into delving into that realm, but I’m really curious and maybe someone else here would want to work on something like that.

2 Likes

Probably not as Boundless will be a MMO game. Boundless textures are not only textures but they also contain normal maps, connect with other blocks, blend. However, i’m curious about the possibilities.

1 Like

Exactly. Overall, it’s fairly complex. It would be much more difficult to actually create your own pack, but I’m curious if it’s even possible. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have no idea if it would work, but have you tried it? I’d certainly be interested to see what players might do with block textures, but given how much more sophisticated our textures are than Minecraft’s it would be quiiiite a lot of work to do a full reskin. After all it only took me six months to make the full set myself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

All the block assets are data driven into the engine, so you should be able to make modifications locally and see the results after a restart.

Yes it is possible.

In the future we plan to offer more modding tools for the community to alter and extend Boundless.

9 Likes

I’ve been looking into textures, but it seems pretty inaccessible to the average texture moder. When you say “data” you mean data from blocks json + textures/alphas?

You could just replace the images, but if you wanted to change some of the configuration you’ve need to touch the JSON as well.

2 Likes

I’ve tried it with simply Metamorphic Stone. I took all of the different Metamorphic Rock textures (there are a few different sets. Is this due to the different variations across planets? Regardless, I couldn’t exactly tell which were which.), and replaced them with another image simply to test it. (Using Photoshop .dds editor plugin). I plugged it back in, but when I entered the game, all it did was put this strange shiny texture over every single block. Metamorphic still somehow had it’s texture. I’m not really sure what it was. I can re-do this and take a screenshot later for you if you like.

Back up though. It /only/ took you six months to make this set of textures and overlays YOURSELF? I’d say that’s fairly impressive. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is wonderful to hear. Thank you. :slight_smile: