Boundless Universal Trade Tracker [BUTT] 2.0

The best I could think of is a small chair with a module sign on the sides with a ) turned 90 degrees with a couple spaces in front of the bracket to make it close to the ground. :man_shrugging: I’ll build it in the smelly couch when I’m on later.

4 Likes

Control panel is now restored, if I’m reading this right BUTT might have been lucky!

Zone
Region OpenStack: os-sbg6

How can I find out in which datacentre my VPS is located in?
The OVHcloud Control Panel gives you access to this information through the OpenStack “Zone” of your VPS. For VPS in Strasbourg, the mapping between OpenStack zone and datacentre is as follows:

Zone Datacentre
os-sbg1 SBG2
os-sbg2 SBG2
os-sbg4 SBG2
os-sbg6 SBG3

SBG3 was not impacted by the fire. We aim to restore the power and network during week 12 and then gradually reactivate all services.

Provisional ETA: Monday, 22 March
for gradual restart

19 Likes

Thank you so much @Mayumichi sharing all the information with us and keeping us updated :heart: really appreciate that!
So if we are lucky we get our butt back next Monday that’s really good news and fast work.

10 Likes

giphy (1)

7 Likes

2 was the one that burned down, 1 was the one back online tomorrow , 3 & 4 were the ones back up monday. the issues in 1,3&4 were something like network and power and one of them needed to be dried out.

I would recommend setting up a private github and just sticking all your data there and then pulling it to the vps using git.

not that it might happen again, since things like this tend to ensure that another event like that wont happen at that location for a while again.

2 Likes

It is in github already, but there’s more moving parts to it than just the scanner part which can’t be githubbed. Luckily there are other ways to backup stuff.

And to be precise they will start spinning stuff up gradually on Monday, no guarantees this specific instance will be up then.

8 Likes

ok i spose my last job’s massively tedious disaster recovery practice isn’t quite the norm, strasbourg’s not a tectonically doomed city :smiley:

2 Likes

i love your work!

4 Likes

And verily, the footfall floweth when we explore!

3 Likes

It’s not industry standard practice for companies like Ovh, Google or AWS to backup the client data, most of them provide that as a feature for the client to enable… at an additional monthly cost.

5 Likes

Only 35€/month at OVH :smiley:

5 Likes

if you are willing to pay that at ovh I would start watching out at the end of your contract and see about just getting a dedicated over on their other website “soyoustart” which is also owned by ovh, they always have deals.

I picked up a server with a i7-4790k with 32gb of ram for that exact same price last month with 4x 2tb hard drives. It was like 25%/month forever.

All of the dedicated boxes get a free 100GB of backup storage on a ftp server so you can even back stuff off the server, reimage it and then restore data if you want to do anything with the os. (not sure where that ftp location is though, still helps to have a 2nd “offsite” backup of this data.)

edit: eh… looking over the options at ovh its about the same if you are getting the full 32gb of ram…

1 Like

No that’s ridiculously expensive, I could get a backup server for 4€/month if I do it myself. We’re talking a few gigabytes of data at maximum.

4 Likes

So as everyone that plays Boundless is well aware … BUTT has been down for awhile now. I have seen a few reasons for it but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone actually knows what’s up with it and if there is anything anyone can do to help out. I thought about snagging the code and/or offering some hosting or even having a secondary server for it … anything that can get it back up.

I do have coding experience as I do it for a living, but wanted to reach out to Mayumi and see what’s up and see if there is any help that is needed.

2 Likes

@Redlotus going to want to see this reply for a update Boundless Universal Trade Tracker [BUTT] 2.0

3 Likes

Yeah shopping has become inconvenient since BUTT quit working. :cry:

3 Likes

Come on people! We didn’t always have BUTT! Get out there and do the leg work!

(All seriousness, I want BUTT back so bad lmao! It’s unbareable!)

8 Likes

Yes what @Ratchel said. Unbearable. :sob:

4 Likes

BUTT should be back next week if OVH doesn’t run in to any trouble when starting the servers :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Did you tell them to work faster we are dying without your creation. :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the update!

6 Likes