Branch mining is it the best?

First if I missed an earlier post forgive me. Searching for copper and iron with not much luck. Started mining under my home found a cave with lots of silver but none of the other ores.

So is branch mining better to do? Shoud I mine the tall mountains, had some luck there with copper and tech fragments.

Thanks for the help.

For gathering ore, I personally think searching caves or mining the outside of mountains is more efficient. Unlike Minecraft, where you can simply pick a height and mine in a straight line to get what you’re after, seams are a bit more random here and also seem to take the depth of the land into account.

What planet are you mining on by the way?

2 Likes

I’ve found that iron is fairly effective to get if you dig from the top of a mountain, downwards. Every time you find an ore vein, or coal, or anything, mine it out, and then mine ONE ADDITIONAL block in every direction. Makes sure you don’t miss any.

If you’re looking for copper, caving is plenty effective, same goes for gold, silver, and titanium.

Gems, caving and mining a hole straight through seem to both be effective depending on the gem. They have different heights they spawn at, lower ones caving is pretty good at, and higher ones, mining is more effective

3 Likes

Both Copper and Iron are best found under areas that have lots of flowers/plants on the surface…

• Copper comes in seams of 1-20 and is best found at altitudes of 50-100
  • Iron comes in seams of 1-15 and is best found at altitudes of 35-80

If you need to know your current altitude, open up the debug menu by pressing “.” (full stop / period) a couple of times

5 Likes

Accept Stretch’s answer over mine. They know the code. I only have a little bit of experience

You know by experience of going out and actually getting it :wink:

Merge all our answers into one and you shouldn’t go too far wrong :smiley:

1 Like

sounds right. although the reason the mountain process likely works is just by sheer volume. there’s just a bunch of iron in the mountain, but it spawns comparatively less than underneath plants

1 Like

I have found some copper since posting on mountain sides and mining inward till the vein dryed up. I logged in after reading all the posts to check.

Thanks for the help

I’ve been picking flowers instead of mining under them, lol. Change of tactics.

Thanks

Ah planet Solum, Inferior Kohlber is that what you are asking?

1 Like

Ok figured out the period key opens debug menu. I hate anything with debug in the sentence as I see myself really messing something up.

So what info am I looking at for the altitude? Oh and discovered how to take a screen shot without the hud to.

Thanks for putting up with me.

I haven’t spent too much time on Solum, but a lot of people around here have. It’s the US East starter world, and home to Pixel Gate (a rather large settlement).

As for your altitude, if you don’t like using the debug screen, you can check the middle value of your location in your menu. It’ll be something like xxxx, xx, xxxx. The middle value is your height in the world.

Oh, and keep up the good work on the videos! Hope you stick around.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the help. Ok I can figure out my altitude. I did find a really cool lush swamp area with plenty of flowers. Did some digging got lots of coal, tech fragments and fossils. So not a loss.

I’ll keep making my videos I have much fun just babbling. Sadly my old hands have arthritis so clicking is difficult somedays. In moderation I think they say, lol.

Thanks so much for watching hope you aren’t too bored.

3 Likes

If clicking a mouse is a problem, you could perhaps try using a controller? I find it far more relaxing playing Boundless with a controller, but to each their own.

It’s good to see more Boundless YouTubers. There aren’t that many of you out there right now, so you’re a much needed pioneer. Just be sure to expand your plot in order to keep all your build inside your claimed area.

1 Like

A controller would likely be easier on the hands than a mouse and keyboard, smaller movements can still do the same thing if you’re sensitivity is hugh enough. And I find buttons on controllers easier to continuously hold while mining.

2 Likes

Never tried a controller but it is a good thought. Thanks for all the help you guys have given me. Oh yes I figured out the plots, doh! Didn’t do such a good job on plots under the house.

Now there is a thought increasing the sensitivity.

You’ll find it easier to do the plotting if you only use the beacon plot remover, beacon or beacon plotter in your hands and nothing else. It seems to offer a more detailed view of where you’re placing or removing plots

I’ll try that I need to mine a plot I missed. Got most of it so not too upset with myself.

Thanks

This is very helpful information, thanks!!!