Bring back bomb mining on private worlds(?)

My understanding was it was considered too OP

We were promised it would be re tuned and re released though… :weary:

2 Likes

Seems I’m starting to be familiar with this exact phrase. Curious how many things this has happened with.

1 Like

Haha very valid, there was a drought for a bit for sure

Steggs mentioned they were looking into some data showing that bomb mining was so great it had to be Nerfed. Basically removed… but they just called it nerf.
I think first they took away XP from it then resources.

I think just basic common sense is reguired here
… this was back in 2018 i think
… they prolly knew they would be launching soon and just easier and quicker way to “fix” the situation was to remove it entirely, but many didnt really realised the fact that the game wasnt back then even released and devs were trying things out as you should in Early Access. Think we didnt even have testing back then… damn i dunno so long time ago.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the problem, I don’t trust that the data exists to support that it’s too OP for material gain anymore

From XP perspective yes, removing xp probably a good idea I guess. Haha and yeah “basically” removed (definitely fully removed)

It was removed after the game launched not during EA. I only know this because I’m a ps4 player and it was a thing when I started playing

4 Likes

Cannot remember all. ^^

1 Like

I think bomb mining would remove less blocks per minute than aoe mining does. With bomb mining, you throw the bomb, then have to individually break the floating ores. Where as with aoe farming you’re just none stop plowing blocks + ore. (But the stress might have been the amount of blocks breaking at the same time, not spread over an amount of time)

I’m pretty sure it was removed because it was OP and/or it reduced the market for hammers to only, gather rock or single hit hammers for the floating ores.

Bomb mining, whcih I did probably 2 sessions of, was a fun way of mining for sure tho

3 Likes

From what I recall, there might have been technical background reasons that were rarely (if ever) aired, but at the time it seemed like it was mostly removed as a knee-jerk reaction because it was deemed “Too OP” by people who didn’t understand the process.

“Too OP” at the time didn’t take into consideration how common high-end forged tools were becoming, and the fact that such tools were actually more productive and focused than Bomb mining ever was. But then I don’t think the devs expected such high level forged tools to be as common as they have become.

3 Likes

I never use mining bombs I play like 1 year so I don’t know the reason why they choose to remove the mining bombs but see this on YT :thinking:

I think you’re in right @Ovis

1 Like

Bomb Mining
The Boundless servers record a vast collection of metrics and analytics about the different game mechanics, resources and player activity. This data is extremely useful when trying to understand what actually happens across the whole universe. It’s understandable for some players to be surprised and disappointed with the recent changes to bomb mining, it was a popular and effective form of mining; but based on the analytics it was also far too overpowered. The ratio of bomb mined resources to hammer mined resource was magnitudes out.
We want bomb mining to be a balanced part of the game alongside other forms of minings.

1 Like

Stop using your slingbows for hunts guys or they will nerf them. We should all start doing melee hunts so that we don’t mess up the analytics.

5 Likes

Yeah I mean maybe parts of bomb mining like xp ratios for block destruction were OP, so the XP nerf was justified. Otherwise, these days I’m saying to run the analytics again. I would bet money that they’re balanced enough

2 Likes

Well to be fair I’ve seen people call fists overpowered weapons and that’s why we don’t need gem fists that could ruin the use of slingbows :man_shrugging:

I would like to experience some sort of bomb mining tho.

Because we can’t bomb mine. I wouldn’t mind getting XP for bombing. I have a bomb character I use for clearing out areas for building underground and it kinda sucks not getting XP. Needless to say. That character does level up often.

1 Like

And if the block armor values were a toggle on sovereign worlds, only sovereign planets would suffer the slow regen Kal mentioned above

I think the slow regen as been fixed anyways.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that was a separate issue that was just exacerbated by bomb mining, and was fixed separately. If it hadn’t, we’d be seeing the same regen issues caused when people go to town with speed brews and a an AoE hammer.

With regards to the metrics response quoted: Given that their metrics can only have been taken for a couple of months (it’s a September 2018 post and that the centraforge wasn’t released, let alone understood, until July), I do wonder if that data would be anywhere near as definitive if it was taken now, given the access that people to have to advanced hammers and consumables (and how little extra forging and consumables would speed up bomb mining by comparison). I’d put money on the fact that it wouldn’t, but I it’s way to late to do anything about it.

It’s not too late! Haha

The AOE from the bombs made them op. Reducing that would have fixed the issue.

If you would go for a type a gem that spawn between a range of 20 blocks you could uncover them all the way and was easier to find them than smashing block blindly with the hammer.

Reducing it to lets say to a range of max 5-6 blocks radius would do the trick.

I guess back then it was easier for them to completely make then useless for mining than all balancing that. Then it removed an interesting and fresh way of mining.