"Builders" End Game (50+) - Titan Cores?

Ooo I love all these ideas :slight_smile: so fun to brain storm!! I hope that we can come up with some ideas that will enhance the builders late game.

The corrupting to make a player dungeon is a cool concept!!

2 Likes

I thought the titan cores would be used for flying vehicles.

3 Likes

Interesting idea :kissing: Even if not the Titans Heart (devs may have plans already for that) in the end, but something similar would be cool to see in game.

Also somehow reminded me about that thingy:

:scream:

4 Likes

Yes! That is scary and cool!

2 Likes

Titan cores have been hinted to create air ships and moving parts. I am not sure of the limitations but this should unlock a whole new list of possibilities for builders.

5 Likes

Interestingly Sly, this is part of the reason I wanted to make this post.

I think there is a misconception that Builders being able to build is all that is needed. While I agree that is an important…it isn’t the same for other types of players.

Hunters don’t hunt just to hunt…they also get loot!
Collectors don’t just break blocks for the fun of breaking blocks…they also get loot!
Explorers don’t just explore to explore…they will find crypts…filled…with loot!

But the builder option doesn’t have that same progression.

If you build, you build to build…and you provide your own satisfaction…or it is provided by peers via footfall or social recognition. It would be nice if in the late game, those that specialize in building can gain rewards that utilize their specialization as a means of acquiring those items.

Also, as a fun note. Titan Cores can make flying items :wink: It doesn’t mean that they can’t also incorporate one specific type of Core or Essence that would allow for this.

Well, I say that…knowing that this suggestion is very likely to not be implemented…and that is totally okay! Just happy to have the conversation about Builders and end game, and put ideas out there!

4 Likes

I see what your concern is and yeah I agree that there is a significant disparity there. One thing that isn’t official, but has been enough to incentivize some, are the rewards from some competitions. While this is only granted through specific builds it work be interesting to think more about how we can make the process asynchronous.

2 Likes

Isn’t that a funny solution.

I think it comes from the mentality that is perpetuated by the current meta in these types of games. A build competition is fun! All competitions are fun…and carry across the different types.

A hunter competition would be fun! (it wouldn’t replace monsters dropping loot)
A gathering competition would be fun! (it wouldn’t replace needing to make gains from gathering other blocks)
An exploration competition would be fun! (it wouldn’t replace loot in crypts)

If I build a massive beautiful build (using all my plots, and all the plots of all my alts) in order for the game to reward it:

1. People need to come visit it
  2. People need to vocalize their appreciation of that build

Neither of those are the game rewarding it. And, if you want your build to just be an amazing build, the game doesn’t reward that.

Good job! Now go build something people will visit. Or wait, and build when there is a competition?

I think it is possible to reward builders for their builds by giving them in game mechanics that are uniquely rewarding…and I don’t think that is too crazy :slight_smile:

But maybe my idea is way off…and what really is needed is something else. But I hope we find a way to create the end game concepts for builders to keep them building and obtaining cool stuff or it. Giant area builders could transform the landscape of the game and impact the player base and how the game is viewed.

Having them have late game content which will reward them and keep them entertained in the activity they enjoy…is a win/win for the game.

5 Likes

I’m behind you 100%. I build, people seem to like the things i build, but i always ask myself why I need to build? All other archetypes have an impact on the game economy at least, builders just fill space. Most anyone can fill space. I’ve been hoping for something that sets the individuals whom choose to build into a purposeful class. I would love to contribute to the player experience, other than “that looks cool”.

7 Likes

The thing about builders is that they’re more of a special class. Maybe not the best comparison, but look at builders the same way you look at clerics/healers in other games. Sure, you’re not the one doing the most damage in battles, and you might also not be the best at gathering. But a cleric’s worth is determined by those who they effect, and nobody could live without them. Without builders making great awesome cities, we wouldn’t have places for us to hang out, to group up, to find our way, trade, access portals for free, any of that. Though perhaps you are right that builders don’t get a lot of the same things as fighters or gatherers, that’s also the beauty of it. Sacrificing their own fortunes for the sake of the community :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not trying to necro here, just offering my opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I never understood why people could have problems with raising the dead threads if there is something good or new to tell :wink:

Edit: … and just found this here :smiley:

5 Likes

I, as a builder, love this! and am glad someone raised it from the dead too, cuz I wasn’t around in Feb to read it!
Well thought out and the implications are brilliant!

1 Like

It is very interesting.

There are some problems in my opinion, that the build might be too easy to simply manage your prestige and the very idea of that is a bit bland. And also, by definition this would be something very few people could take advantage of and that hurts the viability of the idea…

I do think there’s room for parts of this idea maybe? I like the thought of a defeated titan to drop core fragments that a guild could combine into a core or something lesser but very strong. The core itself would be a placeable thing that does give some kind of benefit to its owner - but this core naturally decays over time until depleted totally, and a new one must be obtained. Maybe there would be a way to use prestige to properly slow this decay? Idk. But I don’t like it being too location tied because then people will just hoard the spots…

Maybe having the core can be a double edged sword (similar to some of the op’s ideas) - maybe it causes invasion events periodically that are like meteorites but they spawn portals in your base near the core! Leaving the portals and monsters unattended will decay the core much faster so there’s incentive to deal with them (and ofc its a backdoor bonus to get monster loot - no meteorite boxes though)

Something along these lines makes more sense to me.

Also the idea of using the core fragments to perhaps craft a ‘stabilized titan core’ for powering airships would be amazing. I think that those should decay naturally too but have no monster spawning or benefits to crafting (just you know, the airship part…) but you can feed it more core fragments to always repair it so its decay is less worrisome.

Idk I guess we will have to wait and see for this stuff eh!

2 Likes

Yeah, builders do sacrifice to make cool things. But many builds faded during alpha and became ghost towns. When the only motivation for a build is for others to enjoy it, then you cannot ensure the reward goes to the player that put in the effort.

Hunting is cool, but remove loot and just say ‘hunting makes the world safer’ as the only reward and … I mean cool? But hunting does make the world safer’ in that spot…AND loot :slight_smile: loot that doesn’t require others (like footfall does for builders)

Rewarding our player base that makes amazing things is always going to be good :slight_smile: and just make better cities.

Depending on the fragment, it could be very interesting. Managing prestigue in a settlement would require a lot of coordination. Having to swing up or down 100k prestigue would be a massive undertaking for any settlement.

Prestigue as a system is just a ranking system at the moment with a slight tie to footfall. By increasing its impact across other areas of the game and tying it more into design then it becomes more interesting.

‘cool base, you are 53rd on the planet?’
‘yea, storing a weak Titan core here for the items. Once I get a stronger core to store I am going to expand into a larger base’

^- a dynamically more interesting system then the current one

You must remember though it’s a player economy. It’s made to mimic real life, in a basic form. In real life, a hunter will hunt to make his home safer/get “loot.”

A builder must create a place that always has something to offer to the community. Otherwise the community will leave in search of other places. Such is the same in Boundless. If somewhere else has better qualities that fit that player’s needs, they will be more inclined to move to that place. That’s why builders are a special class.

Also. Just like real life. If a builder builds some huge mansion of their own free will, well, they aren’t going to get any payment or reward, usually. They built it for themselves.

If someone pays you to build something, there ya go.

I agree :wink: I want to mimic real life mythology and that building massive cool things stores evil :smiley: yay

Frankly, I love the idea. Though its unlikely that main cities or portal hubs will house something like that, due to the risk. But it does give more remote settlements a higher cool factor, esp if theres a reason for people to visit (like treasure maps or keys that spawn for the higher/highest tier planets).

1 Like

Unless you build a shop or a portal hub, why does anyone ever need to visit your build? There are exceptions like the portal seekers hunters courtyard, but most other builds are really for the people building them to house storage and workshops. I think this is an issue with the game.

There are not enough functions for builds in game. Food and brews are transportable so no need for a pub or restaurant, we do not sleep so no inns, and no in game voice that might require meeting halls. We build for ourselves right now.

2 Likes