Cameras or Pets?

At the Epic Hunt, we got to see the devs fly around and capture video. and to be honest I was a bit jealous and would love to be able to fly in the game for building or capture videos. but the flying doesn’t suit the boundless gameplay at least what I think. and I still want more freedom to be creative with how I can record this Fabulous game and maybe even help out building.

So my idea from the beginning was to have some sort of camera you can place and make a path to run along for capturing videos I wanted to call it Oort eyes. then i thought why not make something more of it so why not make the camera into an NPC that you can place and then control. Maybe like a helper pet? that you can control that can fly and you can see thru the eyes.

what do you think about this idea?

4 Likes

I love it.
I remember in some conversation a while ago I remember talking about pets and being able to tame creatures post 1.0 and someone suggested to have a tamed cuttletrunk be able to be remote controlled thus creating a flying camera, perfect for getting aerial shots of your base that you wouldn’t be able to get by just stacking up. (a lot of large builds you can’t even understand what is in the picture if you’re not moving around to get different angles and actually see the scale of it)
you wouldn’t be able to interact with anything like picking up items, I think it would be cool if while flying the remote cuttletrunk that other cuttles think you are one of them and you just blend in :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would fully support some functional way to view boundless in a flight fashion that people can craft and use as long as it didn’t distract or become an annoyance to other players.

So we will need to figure out how to make sure it doesn’t cause problems for people like our current drones do in the real world. I’d ask that we don’t see people flying around and maybe that it wasn’t visible to others so that we don’t have annoying drones flying everywhere. If it was linked to animals we had flying around then maybe… but I am really concerned about people being bothered etc…

Also it would need to not be able to get into areas that people want locked. Lastly, a craftable item makes sense to me.

1 Like

thats why I think taming cuttletrunks and controlling them remotely would work out really well.
Cuttletrunks fly anyway, that’s a normal thing, already blending into the environment. If natural cuttletrunks are hostile towards the remote controlled one, it wouldn’t work, also it wouldn’t make sense.
People are used to cuttletrunks flying around, they are only annoying when they shoot at you. Remote controlled cuttletrunks are tame, passive, not aggressive, only used for viewing and thus wouldn’t be an annoyance to other players.

[edit] oh right, and of course, you would have to craft the transmitter (handheld remote) and receiver implant or some kind of harness so that would also satisfy your concerns @Xaldafax

1 Like

Anything that helps content creators to better promote and share boundless is a good idea to me

2 Likes

I think a receiver / transmitter solution would add to the role play and craft mechanics we have and fit in the game well.

A CuttleDrone could work especially if maybe we put some type of timer and fuel around the transmitter. That way it provides a great ability to view and fly around to promote boundless and explore but doesn’t make it a constant thing where we will have CuttleDrone spam in the skies messing up our clean screenshots of planets or builds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of my early thoughts might be that it would have a limited range, say, the current render distance of the player controlling it, but if that affects my render detail as well, that would be horrendous if i was trying to show off the other end of a large build. I think the render quality should definitely be associated with the cuttletrunk’s location.
I’m not against having some kind of fuel, but please make it unique (no more oort shard costs!) and farmable. like wood, leaves, soil, rocks, i dunno maybe refined rock and something else (not orbs lol)

I think a floatation stack should be in the recipe for the receiver so any weight of it wouldn’t be felt by the cuttletrunk and affect his flying abilities :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How about mud, then we will finally have something we can use it for!

1 Like

haha I was gonna say mud! thanks for reminding me, I knew there was one I left out

Or gravel!!!

why not just a camera modus where ya disapear and only can fly and film?
like when ya die in a shooting game

Oh flying mud… so UFOs made out of mud… then it should be allowed.

i guess that’s simpler… but not as fun!

i can make it fun with director mode
like this game i used to play hahahaha
warning old game alert :joy:
made it a new sugestion :smile:
i also want pets
so if my parot can do it its fixed for me :wink:

4 Likes

@Sharkysaur i think you like this idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes!!! That would be cool!

so you want a “boundless dj-phantom 4?” :+1:

loved that game so so much. driver 2 sucked though.

1 Like

i just collected my old games again out off nostalgia
driver one is better then 2 we play getaway from cops all time indriver 2its to hard lol
also got gta tekken3 tonyhawk 123 granturismo 2 and finalfantasy 8 thats all i had in old days :smile:
i still can make score go beyond limit in tonyhawk 2 :smile:
olmost forgot crash bandicoot still need track that one down