Can we get ETA on road map / test release

More info …

3 Likes

Perhaps this topic needs to be closed before it gets too heated?

1 Like

Very, very on-topic comment:

Wasn’t there supposed to be a Testing release this evening (yes, it’s evening in the UK)? Wonder what went wrong.

Would love to tag a dev but then I’m probably getting accused of pestering them again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Again this was not what I was trying to do so please take note of that and stop insinuating that I am trying to block your views. I clearly have communicated what I was trying to do. Additionally I apologized and instead of escalating the issue and restating stuff you already did, you could have just understood my points and said thanks or not responded.

What I was trying to express was there wasn’t a need to say “it doesn’t exist” and instead you could have communicated you just disagree. By stating that you communicate your views without the need to shut down the other persons points.

I was trying to help stop another P2W fight. I did not say anyone was forcing me to do anything.

The point was you attacked me by stating I harass the developers. I assumed you were joking (seems I was wrong and it was an attack) but clarified how my input to them was contextualized into a way that they value and helps them. The statement was for that reason only.

No where did I say 100% balanced. Yes the “win/end” part is your perspective but unfortunately the term “win” is a contextual statement in this scenario because we are playing in a sandbox game. Due to that, people define “winning” in their own way and hence actually create the ability to “win.” So for them there is a win, lose, and possible ending. Either way, that is for each person in this game to chose and decide on.

I said what I wanted to, thanks.

I see a conversation, not a fight.

Interesting accusation. I don’t think red-gleam-gate was a big deal. Obvs a lot of players do. Yes, if you hound the devs over and over and encourage others to do so, I would define that as harassment.

Exactly. I don’t define colored font in a sandbox game as “winning”. I don’t consider putting down 1000 plots “winning” since there are over 16 million plots for 150-400 players to use and the game auto-generates new planets if X amount is plotted = infinite plots = no way to “win”.

3 Likes

Nice try, Aenea, but I think others are having too much fun with the back and forth (ad infinitum…)

I’m happy to wait for a road map that makes sense for the game and it’s players

1 Like

I think the biggest hurdle for me is imagining what ‘winning’ entails when it is a game designed with no failure state.

Is any advantage “winning”? Then it is inherently impossible to create balance, as for example, anyone that can spend more hours than anyone else playing will have an advantage. Is this “winning”?

Anyone that’s put a couple hours in game is already ‘winning’ in the sense that it’s almost impossible to regress back to the “I just stepped out of the sanctum for the first time” state short of voluntarily deleting the character.

That’s why I think it would be more useful to those discussions if people could specify what “losing” entails. Because as far as I can tell, you can’t have ‘winning’ without ‘losing’. Since resources are infinite, you can’t ‘lose’ by never having access to resources.

Since trade exists, and worlds are automatically added to combat resource scarcity, there’s no way that any particular resource will be the exclusive domain of a select few.

Is “economic advantage” winning, then? That gets us back to the problem of playing time and an impossibility of balancing it.

But since many people (I think @Kal-El mentioned he was in this camp on some other topic) avoid the economic aspect altogether by shared group effort and bartering, circumventing any need to participate in the coin-based economy, so that too doesn’t sound like something you can reach a failure state at.

Coins themselves, as well as cubits, are infinite resources and the only measure of difference there is in rate of acquisition so I can’t grasp how people could ‘lose’ on this aspect either.

I don’t think any productive discussion can be had until anyone manages to narrow down what ‘winning’ and ‘losing’ entails in a game where there’s no end in either direction.

With no unrecoverable failure state (that I can conceive of), and without any way to effectively ‘win’ at anything either, since, outside of prestige wars which I thoroughly ignore and actively avoid, there’s no real competition. With everything being infinite there’s nothing to compete over, not really.

6 Likes

Hey everyone! Just read most of the comments and got the gist of what everyone is trying to say. I recently took a couple month break from the game and came back because I really love this game.

As much as I want more content this game is designed to be a sandbox and the most important thing in a sandbox is people to play with. Focusing on tutorials and QOL stuff will help attract new players. If there is a healthy player base that is growing because the game is more accessible there will be more people for community builds, hunts, quests, etc. and player made content in a sandbox is always the most driving factor for longevity.

I can’t wait for farming, titans, new planets, etc but what is going to capture a larger audience? Accessibility.

Also more interior design items to craft pleasee!!!

7 Likes

And pants.

3 Likes

Meh I can wait for pants :wink:

I can too but it just seems odd to have a species that managed to conquer interplanetary travel before inventing chairs or clothes.

Maybe you should try suspending your disbelief! If you we’re busy using magic to warp to other planets you probably wouldn’t focus on sewing either!!!

1 Like

Of course you would. That’s why magicians have funny hats and intricate star-covered cloaks! :slight_smile:

Well in the Oortian world no one has time for constraining clothes! Maybe the warp augments and portals don’t allow for them.

But on a more serious note, the diapers are really immersion breaking for me.

And I’m sure greater character customization would have at least some positive impact on first impressions for new players. :slight_smile:

I’ve played a ludicrous amount of mmos and in most of 'em, there was that moment when you first step into a heavily player-populated area, see someone with awesome clothing/armor or an amazing-looking mount, and it immediately gives me a goal. “I want that shiny thing too!”

Since lots of people complain of lack of goals when faced with sandbox games, that’s a (so far) missed opportunity right there.

3 Likes

I couldn’t disagree with this more. I feel the complete opposite. I want to explore, I want COLOURS, all of them! and I don’t mind waiting a bit for more planets to pop or planets to be rented.

of course, we all would, but the thing that apparently a lot of people don’t get, is that even with an unlimited amount of money (okay, except using that money to hire tons of people, I’m saying unlimited money but same size dev team)
game development still takes a LOT of time! and especially at the quality we’ve been getting. (look at fallout 76… rushed game, poor quality.)

we need to be more patient!

actually this won’t happen because if they can’t access it, they won’t see it. a rented planet will only be visible in the sky if it is connected and accessible to the live worlds. private worlds or ones that break the public world rules will probably have a different way of getting there since you can’t bring items to or from those planets.

2 Likes

Yeah joking aside you make great points.

Have you met me? :joy:

2 Likes