Due to the mixed opinions of this, we have decided to shelve these changes in the meantime, to go back and look at a new approach in a later update. I will leave the topic open for discussion in the meantime, but the following changes will be removed before testing goes live.
Thank you for the feedback.
Hey everyone. For the upcoming patch, i have been working away looking at the balance for Forging, mostly around early game forging and getting players to focus more on cheapy forging basic tools. Our goal was always to make wooden and early game tools be the focus for forgers starting out.
We also always intended for players to have to sacrifice some defects or quirks in order to get the most high end gem tool boons, but due to some oversight, the Draining boon compound was just far too powerful and had no negatives when combined with the Catalyst.
Another large QOL change, is Deconstruction resins will now give you back the original tool without and forge effects so you can go back and give it a whirl again if you ended messing up your perfect rotation!
It would be good to get some initial thoughts before we move forward with these changes, and it will be on the next round of Testing servers.
Potential changes so far:
-Flexibility can now go above 100%, meaning Wooden and Copper Tools can be easily pushed beyond the power of an iron or even silver tool for forgers starting out.
-Made it so the initial set of Forging Compounds are easier to craft for players getting into the forging system for the first time. While the first tier of compounds are not the most efficient way to forge the best gear, these changes should encourage players to play around and start crafting items.
- Pure Boon Compound 1: Removed Spitter Eye, increased Fresh Vital Essence to 2.
- Imperfect Boon Compound 1: Removed Adrenal Gland, increased Fresh Vital Essence to 2.
- Unstable Boon Compound 1: Removed Wildstock Eye, increased Fresh Vital Essence to 2.
- Increased the flexibility on Copper tools and weapons from 50 to 60.
- Increased the flexibility on Gold tools and weapons from 30 to 40.
- Draining Boon Compound was clearly unbalanced, meaning it was either completely ignored, or abused along side catalysts to easily create max tier forged items with no repercussions. We have some changes which should add more usability in forging while taking back the abuse factor.
- Draining Boon Compound 1 now adds 160 Quirk Points, Vigour Drain now only lasts 3 turns instead of 5.
- Draining Boon Compound 2 now adds 400 Quirk Points, Vigour Drain now only lasts 3 turns instead of 5.
- Deconstruction Resins now saves the forged piece of gear (but strips it of any Boons/Quirks/Defects) along side the chance to recover forge ingredients. This should be a major improvement to all players in the forge!
- Wooden Tools now have 600 Durability, up from 300. This is to let players experiment and try out early game forged creations using maximum Effectiveness before investing skill points and Power Coils into Forging.