Can't wait

Rewriting the engine from Java to C++ is no small task. I know because I reimplemented the entire Java core libraries in C++ a few jobs ago. I bet that would be helpful to the developers now, but the old company owns it and sadly they sank anyway so it is trapped in a black hole.

I cannot wait to see the performance benefits from the changeover! Watch those memory leaks. :wink:

With any luck, this will take a major bite out of the lag issues. I am actually really impressed you guys pulled this off this far with Java. That is a major accomplishment. Minecaft could never do it and they are crazy rich.

5 Likes

s/Java/JavaScript/ I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe you could provide a bit more context. I’m not sure that everybody knows about that update … in fact i’m not sure i read a statement from the devs about an upcomming change.
didn’t they updated the core a long time ago ?

EDIT: The last info i found … HERE is ~5 months old

2 Likes

Oops, did I leak something? I thought everyone knew the developers have been porting to C++ over the last 2-3 months. If so… very sorry. I assume this is because of the PS4 deal.

5 Likes

Sounds like A LOT like repetetive and tedious work. Performance is everything. Go devs :fireworks:

3 Likes

Yes its JavaScript to C++. We are cracking on with it and it should be a good win for everybody with faster clients and servers! The client CPU will be much faster, though for slower GPUs that will still be a frame rate limiter.

8 Likes

Can’t wait to see the updated engine. Are you guys getting a chance to clean up some things that annoyed you in the previous incarnation? (Porting something to a new language or platform has always been a weird mix of fun and frustration for me)

3 Likes