Chests/Storage Should Be Available Really Early

Its not the items that are a problem. Its the 10.skill points needed to get the skill to craft them. Its not until later that novices realize that u need to do.this

2 Likes

This was said before any skill system was set in motion. Thus requiring no skills to craft them.

Itā€™s easier to craft storage now, that the recipe requires no nails, glue being the ā€œharderā€ component to get. Storage still remains a very manageable craftable that can be easily achievable by any player.

3 Likes

I agree with TechStomper.

I do not think the early storage option needs to be great. I think it should just be outlined as the ā€˜storageā€™ block so that it is more clear to us new players.

Right now the only early option is the crafting table.

As a new player I had no idea how to get to the storage options. I have nails, glue, wood, rocksā€¦I just only now received the objective that let me know what skill to buy in order to build the storage blocks.

Just asking for a bit of clarity :slight_smile: If possible

2 Likes

I agree that storage is a bit high priced still. The main issue now is that it requires basic prop recipes or however is that skill called. On early levels that is a huge investment of skill points. While you just have picked up basic skills like running, compass and a few abilities, it does not seem logical to pick up prop recipes first. Iā€™m sure everybody would more likely invest in dexterity, power, agility, stamina etc. @james what do you think about it? Can storage block be exempt of needing a recipe skill? In my mind it is kinda the basic of the basics like crafting table, furnace and workbench.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, but on lower levels (below lvl 10) you get 5 skill points per level, so you need to invest two levels to get basic prop recipe skill unlocked just so you could use storage. Though once you get it itā€™s very cheap to make :smiley:

3 Likes

No matter what path you choose in Boundless, youā€™ll always need storage. Builders obviously need storage, crafters too. Hunters need storage and even explorers will end up with full inventories before long. The ability to make storage doesnā€™t seem like a choice at all; itā€™s pretty much a must have - sure, you could potentially buy it from other players, but thatā€™s assuming someone has it for sale, and that youā€™re close enough to a town at the beginning to buy some in the first place.

Essentials (and I consider storage essential) should be cheap and available early on. Iā€™d even consider recategorising storage under ā€˜Basic Crafting Recipesā€™.

6 Likes

You with your fancy wording, thatā€™s what I meant :smile::smile::smile:

3 Likes

Agreed, Iā€™d like to see them make the wood storage much easier to craft just requiring basic resources. Glue and Nails are not easily accessible early in the game. When I was starting out storage was one of the last things I managed to get to just because I couldnā€™t reliably make enough glue at that stage.

In the early stages sap drops are rare and unreliable. And your ability to chop down trees is very limited compared to late game. Might be interesting if they did something like increasing the sap drop rate when using a wood axe to help out the earlier players. And given the extremely low durability of wood, its unlikely to be a worthwhile trade off for higher level players to try and use wood tools again.

Having the scanner now here helps a lot, IMOā€¦ blocks and shelves that donā€™t use the exo unique colors can be found quite cheap, can load up without dropping all that much. Even with the new storage coming, thinking Iā€™ll try to stock some of those eventually and keep them cheap as possible, as there will probably be demand.

Please note that this topic is from Feb 2017 and storage blocks donā€™t require nails anymore since at least 2 years.
When I started the game in Aug 2017 the nails were already gone.

I would also say sap is most likely a lot easier to get than when this topic was created. And if you still somehow canā€™t afford to make storage shelves early on, crafting tables are a good alternative. Maybe even more space efficient than shelves

Sorry, didnā€™t realize I had necro posted, was just browsing through some topics and apparently got much further back than I realized.

Iā€™m well past the point now where this was a problem, but everyone that Iā€™ve seen start playing the game still struggles with storage early on. Those that I know I just give them a bunch of storage blocks to help them get started, but it would be nice if one of the basic fundamental components of the game wasnā€™t such a huge hurdle early on. And yes, I absolutely used crafting tables when I ran into this problem until I could get past it.

you all forgot about crafting tables? they can be used as storage at begginings, they got 6 slots for items?

1 Like