Classes and skills

At the moment classes are more of a very general idea a player has about his character(s). Objectives are cathegorized based on the so-called classes and choice of skills when progressing is based on what a player wants to do in game.

My question/suggestion is: were you (the Devs?) considering making classes ‘‘visible’’? something that a user picks for his character and is showed next to name and in GUI.

Dont get me wrong - I appreciate the fact that there are no ready and closed skill-sets for classes, thus allowing to create different builders or fighers etc (why not a builder with health regen and slinbow masteries to work on hard planets). I am delighted with that freedom.

So, what I think of (kinda suggest kinda ask if it was already in devs’minds?) is not creating classes with separate skill-sets. Just more of a visual/statement choice of a class upon creating a tab. Whatever class one choses, the skill set is the same - everyone sees exactly the same complete and full skill tree. However, depending on a class chosen, skills are marked (colored border? a symbol?) as either primary, secondary or tertiary. I think that could work as a simple guide for new players to learn what skills are a good choice for what role (class).

Additionaly, skill cost could vary depending on their importance within a class. Primary skills would be cheaper than secondary and tertiary would be the most expensive. So, a tab that is a crafter would have crafting skills marked as primary and would learn them for less, while the likes of health regen or slingbow mastery would be more expensive. A fighter would have weapons mastery cheaper and crafting (even basic ones) costing more skill points.

EXAMPLE: based on current state of skill tree and progression - the cost of skills we know now would be the secondary skill cost and primary skills would cost 50% of it. Tertiary skills then could be 50% dearer. A crafting skill marked as primary would cost 5 skill points (so, the price for a crafter) while classes having them as secondary will pay 10 skill points and classes having them as tertiary will have to pay 15. A health regen worth currently 5 will be available for let say 3 for classes like fighter or explorer while a builder would have to pay 5 (if its in secondary group of skills) or 7 or 8 if its in tertiary skill group.

In terms of what a player sees in GUI: everyone would see the same skill tree but the skill icons would be marked with color/symbol or whatever works better, showing their importance for the given class and of course the cost would be different.

2 Likes

The game doesn’t contain any player classes - so there is nothing to make visible.

The Objectives that appear to be in classes are really just in labelled groups. They shouldn’t really map onto player classes, but rather, in-game disciplines. All players can do all the Objectives.

If they come across as only available to particular classes then I would explore renaming the groups.

1 Like

The question would be a bit different so.
Were you thinking about creating some kind of guide to skill importance for the game disciplines as you called it? I was heading in that direction. That depending on the main activity a player choses for his/her character, skill tree could be presented accordingly and showing which skills are primary secondary etc. And possibly maybe linking cost of skills with its importance for a given discipline.

Were you thinking about an option of turning disciplines or activities into classes that would be declared/chosen by a player? Not as closed classes that limit choice of objectives and skills. Rather as something that presents a player with guideline in skill choice.

I understand the current shape of the game in that department and don’t feel any large changes are needed. I’m kinda curious what kind of different ideas were thrown in your HQ while creating the system and are there some changes in line.