Color mixing for ALL rgb colors

I did see a devlog article about grass seed color mixing and I am wondering if you could have the Mixer Engine to allow to mix all rgb colors from 3 basic inks (Reda, Green, Blue) and in addition having White … Black also. Perhaps we could have a “color intensity” property to make hues from min to max hue values.

If we then could find/create a “uniform basic block” without any texture - for example a “concrete block” made from sand and glue/sap, we could taint this block to any color of our liking. Similar we could use if to have glass with a wide range of colored glass (black glass for example?).

1 Like

Very hard to give such freedom on the color aspect, a lot of back end work to do it.

And the post you’re talking about, I think you’re referring to the mention of the combination of soil and grass being able to have so many matches, because it was already programmed that way.

To achieve what you want, they’ll have to program so many color variants, they won’t have time to do other more important features.

I do understand your arguments.

But to be honest, I believe that the sugestions category should not be filtered by arguments like “is too complicated to implement and/or the software has too be changed too much”. For me - and I do not know how much real knowledge you have regarding the actual Boundless software structure and coding - the discussion if my sugestions are unrealistic because of constraints of the current implementation or the available development resources (?) beyond guessing is useless or not helpful as well as not intended in this forum.

For me, the goal to provide sugestions here is to discuss the possible use of an idea BEFORE somebody is looking to specifications, real-world software planning and resource assignments/money which are the task for James and his team…and they will do it not in this forum and will consider the whole game and not only my single small idea. There is certainly a evolving priority list of feature to be added in the future but we should be allowed to dream and hope. For me the argument that something is to complicated to implement simply wrong (I have worked for more than 40 years in the it area and have managed a softweare development team with around 10-15 team members for a very large software package for 15 years [successfully]). Beyond that the argument of missing resources is a business/money question which we do not know anything about regarding Boundless and the company behind. I sincerly hope that Boundless will stay and prosper and leave that area to the top management of Wonderstruck/Turbulenz.

So much said, please consider this idea as a PLAYER looking at this fantastic game and if it may add a useful and fun/esthetic feature that we the gamers find good.

2 Likes

I think it’s impossible. If you look into World Builder, you can find there what every tintable block has limited palette of colours. And every colour of this palette is actually set of three close colours. So, this colours cannot be mixed however much we want it.

Also you must to know what original basic inks are red, blue and yellow not green.

1 Like

@Okkelinor:
Ah, this explains a lot. Looks like it is some basic design decision which would need to massive restructuring and/or exceptions coding.

Using red, green and yellow is a funny way …

I’d love colour tinted glass … so much in fact that I suggested it too! There’s some problems with semi-transparency in resource costs though.

1 Like

I think it comes down to memory and storage requirements - they can fit the color choice for a block into a byte (or less) today due to the limited palette.

If the game were to allow full RGB (or even multiple palette choices), the memory overhead of each block goes up. And given the sheer volume of blocks the game deals in, that can quickly amount to a lot of memory consumed

(Also, I bet a good number of combinations would look pretty bad)

3 Likes

Well the reasons I’ve stated are backed up by @Okkelinor and @nevir

Other than that, as well as you can suggest stuff. I can say why I don’t want it or why I don’t think it’s good to implement.

In a suggestion thread you can go and say yes or no to an idea, and that’s what devs want to know too, if people want or don’t want certain things.

Anyways, I think having the option to mix stuff for color, defeats the purpose of actual exploring for the color variants in the different planets, if we wanted new tints, I guess devs will be adding servers(planets) or biomes, before applying a mixing solution.

1 Like

check this topic:

FYI,

Red, blue, yellow = subtractive primaries
Red, blue, green = additive primaries

It refers to when the color is created by reflecting light back towards the eye (subtractive) or when it provides its own color source (additive).

Colored lights, or televisions, for example are additive because they are shining only that specific color into your eye.

A painted object in the physical world, when lit with white light (white contains all colors), absorbs that specific color and reflects all the other colors back at your eye. This is subtractive.

1 Like

Yeah, I know it. I’m optician =)

1 Like

Lol, classic