Dyeing blocks/items upon crafting

So there was that issue/bug allowing a player to change tint of blocks during crafting. What about actual system for dyeing, allowing players to get what they want color-wise?
I’d imagine it this way:

1. Flowers, plants and such can be harvested for pigment.
  2. Pigment can be used in any crafting process to change end-product color. So, if you have your natural color rock, lets say Therka purple igneous rock, you add any available pigment to your crafting recipe to get wanted tint. Examples? You craft yellow igneous stone from any igneous rock by adding yelow pigment to the crafting process. Or add that tint to your plinth recipe or brick recipe or anything else. That would allow to come up with different colors for your machines, door, window (colored glass!! yes yes yes :heart_eyes:) and even tools.
  3. To not over complicate things 3 primary colors pigments would be enough (red, yellow, blue) plus secondary ones you can get by mixing them (green, orange, purple).

This would be additional method of acquiring different tint materials and items (so if you dont like exploring different planets to get different color rocks or wood, or dont want to spend money on buying those you can simply use dyeing to your arsenal of skills to produce more variations of materials and items).

You can also imagine that pigment harvested from flowers needs to be processed in a mixer or extractor or any other machine to produce the actual coloring agent that can be used in crafting - just to make things more interesting.

6 Likes

Definitely agree with this for cloth and glass! - but for other rocks it would defeat the purpose of having to travel for different coloured materials on different planets.

dont know if this works on tools except gem tools and what @AnnieGYG sayd, it would defeat the purpose of having to travel for different coloured materials on different planets.

I think it would just add options - isnt it better if a certain target can be reached via different means? Getting pigment, processing it and using might be balanced to the effect that makes it difficult enough to be an equal alternative to travelling to other planets rather than an easier solution for lazy players. It would defo (in my opinion) let people to do same things using style of play they like (explorers will still travel, while crafters or alchemists, or whatever “class” might emerge from the available skills there, would work “at home”).

Other than that - created worlds can provide wide range of colors and shades and if dyeing options are limited to the colors I mentioned nature would still offer rocks and wood of colors not available through chemistry.

1 Like

I think the idea of the plants and flowers is awesome but I would not use them for adding pigment but for making many different refined blocks in the colours of the worlds but added patterns in the colours of the flowers maybe or shapes in the stone similar to the flower you harvested.

Sorry I am not good at explaining things. I hope you understand what I mean.

1 Like