Color Rarity Mechanic Changes

I like the idea of possible gleambow meteors year round. Like anywhere from a 1-5% chance depending what tier world you’re on. Keeps it rare but very possible to get gleam on group hunts.

I support goo being changed in certain ways but not easier. I agree that spray should be able to spray all tintable blocks not just some. But should not be moved from end game content as we need MORE endgame content not less. And new people need to work for things too. They need to work through farming to get to goo.

Also agree here as well. Exos shouldn’t be new player friendly. To me that’s more of mid game content to me. New people shouldn’t be going to exos immediately they should work a little bit to get there as their skills literally won’t support most exos.

1 Like

TLDR; I don’t care either way, the more I think about it. :woman_shrugging:

Personally, I’d love :heart: to have black gleam to make black window panes with. So, I could argue both sides for/against item rarity.

If builders could access any color they wanted, I think that would be :+1: great. However, Gleambow is exclusive to Boundless & most people absolutely love it. It would be a shame to change/remove this & goo so that some people could enjoy pseudo-creative mode. Either way, I’ll just roll with it.

:thinking: What if Boundless only had white gleam, with no other choices? What if there weren’t different colors of resources? No violet soil. No vivid moss sand. No luminous yellow gleam. Just green foliage. Brown soil. White light sources. Is the game still playable/worthy/fun? Are people only unsatisfied because there’s something in the game & they can’t have it all right now? If you could have it all right now, wouldn’t that be Creative Mode? Then what?

People are placing serious importance on colors. What about people that don’t care about colors, but place serious importance on decor? Should they then be allowed to have ancient seeds, twinkles, and snow people right now, because they want them?

I am starting to look at the big, overall picture. Mainly because when I play other games, I notice that they are lacking a bunch of features that Boundless has.

• I notice that when I’m playing other games, I can’t create custom portals. All their portals are the same basic shape/color.
  • They don’t have temp Exo planets that I can discover & explore.
  • Some only have downloadable or co-op options…no MMO, like Boundless.
  • Even though I don’t do much forging, I do notice how shallow/lame weapon crafting is in other games, when compared to Boundless. (The only systems that have a little something extra over Boundless imo are the ones where you can draw a weapon in-game and actually use that)
  • If they have farming/harvesting, it’s old school – ie: wheat, carrots, hide, cooked meat, etc. No non-organic spacey materials, no special goo to make spray paints, no meteors.

I think these larger functions are more valuable to the game than trying to tweak some colors and lights here and there right now. Will adding rental planets broaden the player-base & appeal to more gamers? Possibly. If they give everyone pink sand and black gleam, will that have the same effect? Nope. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

The color of a base block isn’t something I as a new player would look up to. The mid game version of various color blocks would be the enhanced versions of the building blocks… mosaic, marble, etc. For me bricks were an entry block to mid tier it felt like and from there I found out how much work was needed to go in to making the higher tiered versions of building blocks.

There already is a built in ‘rarity’ system in the building blocks in my opinion. As a newer player, those are blocks I look at as ‘status’ when people bring that up in various threads. The colors of the block not at all, because my original assumption coming in to the game was that all colors were available anyways because there weren’t palettes for sell in the store. Warframe sells colors palettes but that’s part of the micro transaction model. I’d be fine with buying palettes also but people have said that’s pay 2 win somehow.

2 Likes

My argument about exos and newbies was not related to color. Just that I don’t see why exos should be available from start. When we start we already have a lot of stuff to figure out and let’s be real exploring when you are new it’s painful without the prover skills, so exos should not be a newbie thing.

I also went from timber to refined wood then brick and finally mossaic, marble and concrete.

My statement about colors is that I like rarity but not the long term rarity we have right now.

4 Likes

I’d also like to point out that the devs have decided to allow everyone to re-roll their colors. :woman_shrugging:
:star::star::star::star::star:

If rentals are set up similar to GC, then we could re-roll colors every 30 days, 90 days, etc.

Edit: reset, not re-roll as I referred to it as

5 Likes

This seems good addition.
I was able to test it and color changing was working nice, it can be also important just correct later some color that wasn’t just so good when finalizing initial color choices.

3 Likes

I was going to ask in that thread but then decided not to because I didn’t know if was silly or not.

I wonder if those will stack/roll over. If you don’t use them for the payment cycle will they then roll to the next cycle until there are colors you would want to use, on the chance 10 new colors were discovered in the course of a week and you just happened to want them but they all were discovered at different times … so do you have to wait until the next cycle as it seems is most likely or would unused chances be retained?

Have you or anyone else tested that BTW? is it a re-roll of the colours and we can potentially get a new colour each payment cycle or can we merely change the colours again each payment cycle?

I also asked this of James in the main Testing release thread.

You aren’t paying extra for a color change, you are just allowed one per payment term. So I’d assume there’s nothing to stack. Could be wrong.

2 Likes

I’m old and used to roll over minutes from Cingular. No other cell company did that and it set them apart :joy_cat:

2 Likes

I really wish people would stop likening it to creative mode. It’s as bad as any other hyperbolic claim made the by the current “free the colours” movement, and as such is really just unhelpful to fair, reasonable discussion.

Creative mode is a thing that exists, by name, in other games, and refers to a system where you can magic anything out of thin air and have god mode and generally do as you please. No-one here is asking for anything close to that, and certainly not connected to the live universe.

I’m really hoping a billing period is the same whichever package you buy, and when you buy a longer package, you’re just pre-paying for multiple billing periods in one go (although I would expect you to only be able to access those refreshes individually as each billing period rolls over though). In that sense, it could roll over and stack, although I’d also be happy with a 30 day countdown starting from the last time you did it.

On topic:

Personally, I think that a big part of the problem with sprays is that they’re great for fine details, but woeful if you want to build anything big out of a non-standard colour. As such, I definitely think they could use a re-balancing. Downside is, if they actually become usable for bigger purposes, you’re still butting heads with the colour scarcity advocates. I feel like this topic has become what it has because there just is no acceptable middle ground to even one side, let alone both.

I think it’s one of the decisions where the developers will just need to work out what they want to do, or what they think most players (as opposed to the most vocal) want and bite the bullet, either changing it to allow all colours or changing nothing at all. It’s going to annoy some people either way, but it’ll hopefully start to pull the game out of it’s current grey area where it tries to be too many different things for too many different people.

In that respect, it’s a good idea for a poll.

[Edit]: I’m assuming the ‘no’ answer in the bottom poll is supposed to be “No - I won’t mind if we have changes to color rarity mechanics even if it effects economy, etc.”

I don’t expect a low level to get to an Exo but I expect a low level to have some color when they can’t afford buying paint and stuff. This is one of the reasons we need to adjust things since lower’s won’t survive which means it is behind a wall since not all people are hard core players. “Color” should not be “end game content” and instead we provide real content. Also expensive is relative especially for lower people and ones that don’t want to just grind and throw rock into some machine to “create” coin. In my view all warps should be removed away from coin and feel more in line with other warps.

The only issue I see with the current setup is the lack of items you can paint. We have access to every colour via paint. There is no shortage of goo or paint, yes there is limited supply but I believe there is enough to go around and I enjoy that it is somewhat end game.

Now, if any tintable block was paintable, this would virtually solve nearly all issues over night. For example, a player wants a tonne of black glass for their build. Gleam being paintable would help this player achieve this over time. It still requires some effort to source the black paint or to set up their own goo farm mutating all their kernels to black, but it would be achievable within a decent time frame without drastically changing the framework already present in game.

#freethepaint

5 Likes

They do have “some colors” that they can get from beginner T1 and T2 planets. They can also do new player activities like mine for coal & tech to level up & earn xp/coins to buy things they can’t make/gather.

Is it though? If it is, then what about non-organic farms? Advanced coils? Lucent gems? :thinking: What about the $/XP/plot wall new players will hit if they try to rent a planet? :wink:

I don’t agree with all the colors needing to be mid-game exactly, but I do agree that I’d very much like to see the goo farming system changed. Logically, it makes very little sense for it to be impossible to make them at least 100% seed output. A plant that can’t reproduce shouldn’t be able to exist in the first place, but I’d be satisfied with 100% being max seed. It’d be nice to sit there and mutate each seed you get over time into the color you want. If the devs want spray to be expensive and hard to get, I say they should make crop output extremely low in exchange for actual sustainability.

I meant more color then if people aren’t getting what I meant. Color not behind a wall.

These have nothing to do with color. Yes color is end game content because of Goo and that the only real place to get color is on an Exo or paying expensive money that an average player doesn’t have.

After launch we had less planets than we do now, less gleam colors, no Gleambow events, and no exos.

We have way more choices now than we used to.

It’s also much easier for players to obtain gleam thanks to the gleam farms that have been set up.

We are getting ready to have another source of gleam colors - rental planets. And players will be able to reset their colors (I assume we’ll get more details soon).

Once we’ve exhausted all of the current 255 possible colors, I’m sure players will ask for more.

I hate it. I hate anything that has to do with competition, adrenaline, as well as requiring good hand-eye-coordination. I’ve been playing the game for over a year, and I have YET to be able to successfully swing a grapple from tree to tree without landing with a thud and taking fall damage between grapple swings. I cannot maintain that. I don’t like the racing aspect of the event. I would prefer if it was a more cooperative event rather than competitive. I’ve been advocating at least implementing a participation reward into the gleambow core box that EVERYONE gets access to of like a few (Maybe 3 to 10) blocks of the meteorite’s type in various colors, so at least all of it can be partaken in by all, not just the game’s elite end-game speed demons.

Why does removing color rarity equate CREATIVE MODE? Why do people always use this fictitious fallacy that we’re asking for Creative Mode?

2 Likes

it might bother me a little in how it’ll effect the economy but other than that, I’m fine. don’t hoard black gleam now and only have a small black gleam field in preparation for the update so you can get a lot of black spray. many gleam colors would become worthless due to spraying them and the sprays might become unaffordable for many players