Color Rarity Mechanic Changes

I’m on the side of lowering the rare access gates to all the colors in the current game palette. I believe we should have a 5-15% chance (at least) for any meteor to be a GleamBow one. I believe access to Exo’s should be made simpler via either a crafted augment for access versus expensive costs (per visit costs) that not all low level people can use so that they can access new colors easily. I also believe in Goo being expanded out so it is easier to acquire for non-end state players and provides a better return on yield and “reuse” of seeds like we see in normal farming - basically moved from very late End Game content to Mid-High Level content.

With all these and maybe some other ideas this would give people easier access to all the colors in the game so the builds we do will become even better. When I see what can be done on the testing/creative universes with people like @Kal-El and all colors it shows me how much more “vibrant” this game could be with ALL colors being accessed. Since the Universe has not expanded like we expected at release we are stuck in a pretty set color access model and that is very frustrating to an unknown number in the community.

I believe that for the health of this game that we shouldn’t hold colors hostage behind the “reasons” of “rarity being a requirement, economy of selling colors is a must, etc.” I’d like some better balance and better access to all colors be added to the game SOONER than later. There some be some effort to obtain colors but I believe the current mechanics aren’t balanced right and hurt lower / mid game players and exclude too many overall.

The below poll is an attempt to gauge the community view around this. If enough people believe in this “increasing access to all colors or remove all color rarity no matter what” mindset, then I will work to help see how we can influence the Developers to make changes.

What type of color rarity mechanics do you want:

• Yes we need ‘easier mid-game player’ access to all colors for players with no rarity mechanics
  • Yes we need more colors access but need to keep some rarity mechanics
  • No we should not change any color rarity mechanics
  • Other (reply below)

0 voters

If there are changes to color rarity mechanics will that bother you:

• No - I won’t mind if we have color rarity mechanics even if it effects economy, etc.
  • Yes - It will bother me but I can deal with it.
  • Yes - It will bother me and I DO NOT want it it change.
  • Other (reply below)

0 voters

6 Likes

If goo & spray system is mean to be on future only for painting building blocks I would like to see improvements and better gains for it. There are enough steps for gathering, farming & mutating and mixing (which I haven’t done live) and gains are good for something like pixel art piece, not for bigger builds :confused:

Honestly I don’t mind that goo is end game. There isn’t much end game currently so seems about right that someone needs to be a high level to do that successfully.

I do wish one spray can did more than one block or one pigment creates more than 1 can.

Initially it was sort of a joke, releasing all 255 colours to be usable on rental colour palettes AND then adding a second set of 255 colours that are very rare but I am really liking the idea!
Small patches of it, like gleam sized bits, in that colour. With a chance of finding a super goo seed of it which CAN be self sustaining. Having a max of a handful of those goo kernels and being the only one or one of the very few that has them seems like something people will like. You can only make a few spray cans every harvest and thus stays rare!

Heck would make visiting exos a lot more interesting for me since I’m kinda bored with the same colour ranges repeating over and over.

(as a side note since I’m talking about exos being more interesting then I would love something to be done about lucents to make them more attractive)

So what started as a silly joke I now kinda feel is a good idea!

2 Likes

I would like to see goo used for tinting craftable items instead of stones and wood. Craftable clothes and armor that we can color with goo. Let the world pallets open wide up. If we really need to keep some block colors rare Let’s keep the gleam rare for Gleambow.

5 Likes

Yes yes yes! That’s exactly what tinting should be for! That’s a fantastic idea/fix as far as compromises have gone. But who knows if the system supports that?

I still don’t believe everything needs to be early accessible by new players. They need to look up to something.

Exos are not that expensive and low level players wouldn’t survive on most exos anyway.

But it would be nice if there was a way to open portals directly to them from the closest planet like we use oort to open it and then it stays open until the expo dies but it takes the coin warp out of your pocket when you cross or something like that.

I don’t like the current state of color rarity because it’s taking forever to get us all colors and that is not fun. But I’m totally against getting all colors available just like magic unless we get something else to replace the rarity in game.

5 Likes

I like the idea of possible gleambow meteors year round. Like anywhere from a 1-5% chance depending what tier world you’re on. Keeps it rare but very possible to get gleam on group hunts.

I support goo being changed in certain ways but not easier. I agree that spray should be able to spray all tintable blocks not just some. But should not be moved from end game content as we need MORE endgame content not less. And new people need to work for things too. They need to work through farming to get to goo.

Also agree here as well. Exos shouldn’t be new player friendly. To me that’s more of mid game content to me. New people shouldn’t be going to exos immediately they should work a little bit to get there as their skills literally won’t support most exos.

1 Like

TLDR; I don’t care either way, the more I think about it. :woman_shrugging:

Personally, I’d love :heart: to have black gleam to make black window panes with. So, I could argue both sides for/against item rarity.

If builders could access any color they wanted, I think that would be :+1: great. However, Gleambow is exclusive to Boundless & most people absolutely love it. It would be a shame to change/remove this & goo so that some people could enjoy pseudo-creative mode. Either way, I’ll just roll with it.

:thinking: What if Boundless only had white gleam, with no other choices? What if there weren’t different colors of resources? No violet soil. No vivid moss sand. No luminous yellow gleam. Just green foliage. Brown soil. White light sources. Is the game still playable/worthy/fun? Are people only unsatisfied because there’s something in the game & they can’t have it all right now? If you could have it all right now, wouldn’t that be Creative Mode? Then what?

People are placing serious importance on colors. What about people that don’t care about colors, but place serious importance on decor? Should they then be allowed to have ancient seeds, twinkles, and snow people right now, because they want them?

I am starting to look at the big, overall picture. Mainly because when I play other games, I notice that they are lacking a bunch of features that Boundless has.

• I notice that when I’m playing other games, I can’t create custom portals. All their portals are the same basic shape/color.
  • They don’t have temp Exo planets that I can discover & explore.
  • Some only have downloadable or co-op options…no MMO, like Boundless.
  • Even though I don’t do much forging, I do notice how shallow/lame weapon crafting is in other games, when compared to Boundless. (The only systems that have a little something extra over Boundless imo are the ones where you can draw a weapon in-game and actually use that)
  • If they have farming/harvesting, it’s old school – ie: wheat, carrots, hide, cooked meat, etc. No non-organic spacey materials, no special goo to make spray paints, no meteors.

I think these larger functions are more valuable to the game than trying to tweak some colors and lights here and there right now. Will adding rental planets broaden the player-base & appeal to more gamers? Possibly. If they give everyone pink sand and black gleam, will that have the same effect? Nope. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

The color of a base block isn’t something I as a new player would look up to. The mid game version of various color blocks would be the enhanced versions of the building blocks… mosaic, marble, etc. For me bricks were an entry block to mid tier it felt like and from there I found out how much work was needed to go in to making the higher tiered versions of building blocks.

There already is a built in ‘rarity’ system in the building blocks in my opinion. As a newer player, those are blocks I look at as ‘status’ when people bring that up in various threads. The colors of the block not at all, because my original assumption coming in to the game was that all colors were available anyways because there weren’t palettes for sell in the store. Warframe sells colors palettes but that’s part of the micro transaction model. I’d be fine with buying palettes also but people have said that’s pay 2 win somehow.

2 Likes

My argument about exos and newbies was not related to color. Just that I don’t see why exos should be available from start. When we start we already have a lot of stuff to figure out and let’s be real exploring when you are new it’s painful without the prover skills, so exos should not be a newbie thing.

I also went from timber to refined wood then brick and finally mossaic, marble and concrete.

My statement about colors is that I like rarity but not the long term rarity we have right now.

4 Likes

I’d also like to point out that the devs have decided to allow everyone to re-roll their colors. :woman_shrugging:
:star::star::star::star::star:

If rentals are set up similar to GC, then we could re-roll colors every 30 days, 90 days, etc.

Edit: reset, not re-roll as I referred to it as

5 Likes

This seems good addition.
I was able to test it and color changing was working nice, it can be also important just correct later some color that wasn’t just so good when finalizing initial color choices.

3 Likes

I was going to ask in that thread but then decided not to because I didn’t know if was silly or not.

I wonder if those will stack/roll over. If you don’t use them for the payment cycle will they then roll to the next cycle until there are colors you would want to use, on the chance 10 new colors were discovered in the course of a week and you just happened to want them but they all were discovered at different times … so do you have to wait until the next cycle as it seems is most likely or would unused chances be retained?

Have you or anyone else tested that BTW? is it a re-roll of the colours and we can potentially get a new colour each payment cycle or can we merely change the colours again each payment cycle?

I also asked this of James in the main Testing release thread.

You aren’t paying extra for a color change, you are just allowed one per payment term. So I’d assume there’s nothing to stack. Could be wrong.

2 Likes

I’m old and used to roll over minutes from Cingular. No other cell company did that and it set them apart :joy_cat:

2 Likes

I really wish people would stop likening it to creative mode. It’s as bad as any other hyperbolic claim made the by the current “free the colours” movement, and as such is really just unhelpful to fair, reasonable discussion.

Creative mode is a thing that exists, by name, in other games, and refers to a system where you can magic anything out of thin air and have god mode and generally do as you please. No-one here is asking for anything close to that, and certainly not connected to the live universe.

I’m really hoping a billing period is the same whichever package you buy, and when you buy a longer package, you’re just pre-paying for multiple billing periods in one go (although I would expect you to only be able to access those refreshes individually as each billing period rolls over though). In that sense, it could roll over and stack, although I’d also be happy with a 30 day countdown starting from the last time you did it.

On topic:

Personally, I think that a big part of the problem with sprays is that they’re great for fine details, but woeful if you want to build anything big out of a non-standard colour. As such, I definitely think they could use a re-balancing. Downside is, if they actually become usable for bigger purposes, you’re still butting heads with the colour scarcity advocates. I feel like this topic has become what it has because there just is no acceptable middle ground to even one side, let alone both.

I think it’s one of the decisions where the developers will just need to work out what they want to do, or what they think most players (as opposed to the most vocal) want and bite the bullet, either changing it to allow all colours or changing nothing at all. It’s going to annoy some people either way, but it’ll hopefully start to pull the game out of it’s current grey area where it tries to be too many different things for too many different people.

In that respect, it’s a good idea for a poll.

[Edit]: I’m assuming the ‘no’ answer in the bottom poll is supposed to be “No - I won’t mind if we have changes to color rarity mechanics even if it effects economy, etc.”

I don’t expect a low level to get to an Exo but I expect a low level to have some color when they can’t afford buying paint and stuff. This is one of the reasons we need to adjust things since lower’s won’t survive which means it is behind a wall since not all people are hard core players. “Color” should not be “end game content” and instead we provide real content. Also expensive is relative especially for lower people and ones that don’t want to just grind and throw rock into some machine to “create” coin. In my view all warps should be removed away from coin and feel more in line with other warps.

The only issue I see with the current setup is the lack of items you can paint. We have access to every colour via paint. There is no shortage of goo or paint, yes there is limited supply but I believe there is enough to go around and I enjoy that it is somewhat end game.

Now, if any tintable block was paintable, this would virtually solve nearly all issues over night. For example, a player wants a tonne of black glass for their build. Gleam being paintable would help this player achieve this over time. It still requires some effort to source the black paint or to set up their own goo farm mutating all their kernels to black, but it would be achievable within a decent time frame without drastically changing the framework already present in game.

#freethepaint

5 Likes