Colour wheel for character creation

Rather simple suggestion. When making a new character, rather than search through 250 somthing names for skin and eye colour, simply convert it to a much-easier-to-use color wheel.

Can even use a simplified version that’s split up to 250 somthing sections.

A rather small idea, but one that would add a nice qol for new players.

11 Likes

Yes please, hundreds of clicks to browse through the options is a major pain.

1 Like

It is on the list of tasks for the designers to look at, but I doubt it would be a “color wheel” because you couldnt fit the 255 colours into a wheel in any sensible way, I expect it will just be a grid of coloured buttons something like:

palette

(note this is an older set of palette colours that does not match the live game).

10 Likes

That would also work just as well! Just something to save from all the clinking!

1 Like

A color palette would be perfect.

1 Like

Anything is better than scrolling through that list of colors just to see if you like this eye color or that.

2 Likes

Why not try hexagonal palette?

And make each hexagon is a hexahedron
Add lighting effects to make people more aware of the visual of different color in lighting

5 Likes

As a temporary crutch for this you can use a colours’ list at third page of colours’ sheet:

maybe, though youd not get a perfect hexagon (no such tiling with 255 tiles in it without adding holes to it) and itd take more screen space (much more if it was “3d” as you say), and…not sure would look any better.

1 Like

We really miss an option to rotate character while creating. Does it possible to add something like that?

3 Likes

Can you goolge image “hexagon color picker”?
It seems that this idea is not as bad as you think. Mr. Impossible

15*17=255
Can be tiled. (Why do you think hexagon must be tiled to hexagon?)

You said a hexagonal palette, and showed a picture of a hexagon tiled into hexagons, so yes, the implication was you were talking about an actual hexagon shaped palette, otherwise there is no point in using hexagons instead of squares really…

1 Like

I like squares! Better than clicking through a list and not being able to tell the difference between the red I’m on and the red that I was on twenty clicks ago. :grin: Also, I’m colorblind so that red looks purple anyway.

Here are 255 cells :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

This looks way better than squares:p

A hexagonal palette seems like it would be needlessly complex to implement instead of a square palette. Not to mention adding more colors in the future would be a simple task in the latter case.

No more colours in future. It’s a kind of inner core of game mechanics and I pretty sure the number 255 is determined by memory usage. So, here can’t be 256 colours in palette or more.

This has been mentioned by at least two of the lets play videos on Boundless… (I have only watched 2 and it was mentioned in both).

Plus you have it for item selection in testing iirc…

1 Like

This color grid was definitely added to the game with the sovereign and creative UIs. Presumably the plan would be to bring that to the character customization UI in future updates, though that hasn’t been confirmed it has been requested. Hopefully there is dev bandwidth for that change.

3 Likes

After 3 years it would be nice if it was added ahah

1 Like