Combat Systems

1-3 is just too little to make proper builds in my eyes, i would like 5 as minimum and 7 as max personally. but thats mostly cause of the fact that i love playing around with builds and i dislike being one of many and being forced to play the game a certain way.

1 Like

1-3 was just an example :smiley: I’d also be okay with 5 abilities but 7 are too much imo

id be okay with abilities if you were able to play and use skill normally without them at all, and the abilities not to be OP like most

im my mind pasive abilities are great but i just dislike the idea of combat aiding abilities that always generate wins (the ones you click a button for and it deals a ton of damage)

its usually something along the lines of

Leftclick: soft attack, hold for heavy
Rightclick: aim or block (depending on your weapon)

then for abilities you had things like
Cleave, Molten armor, Leap smash, those fancy moves you cant use on your mouse, in no way should it be ‘‘1 to light attack, 2 to heavy attack’’ but more like ''1 to cleave. 2 to do spin to win, 3 for bleeding strike, 4 for leap attack and 5 (elite) to smash the ground and do aoe damage.

also i say 5 - 7 cause 5 i for ESO and 7 is for TSW, TSW did a great thing of only allowing 7 passives too, instead of just non stop stacking, the passives were actually cool, like every 7th attack was crit, if you used a hindering attack it would spread to enemies and so on.

in a way i agree with what you are saying the thing i don’t like about abilities is when you get to the point they are OP, and deal tonnes of damage (most magic abilities) if they do a normal amount of damage as the regular ones, with the addition of you actually need to aim yourself instead of auto locks then id be more okay with it

Yeah i think you just need to get rid of the notion that every single skill is OP, cause that is just plain out wrong. i could argue the same for heavy attack, sneak attack, you literally oneshots enemies (which you also mentioned as a feature of the suggested system)

you argue that ‘‘its going to just be op dps abilities’’ but that is not really the point, the point is you can add more, for example you might have people going pure burst, but the freedom of building might allow another player to take dodge skills, teleport skills or tank skills in general to render the oponnent ineffective, thats what i said before, builds will build counterbuilds that gets counterbuilds, the ‘‘meta’’ will keep changing :smile:

That was meant as a metaphor. I wanted to say that even if you have the same abilities the playstyle alone can make enough difference
I would never dare to compare Skyrim with LoL :smile:

I´d prefer to only have one extra ability (like in Skyrim) and something like @DarkRepulsor s Shard Magic system to customize your equipment regarding o your playstile.

yeah… then please tell me, how do you plan to use the abilities? xD

another thing i’m wondering is how the hot keyed abilities will work seen as though 1-9 are taken for building slots, and the F1-F12 are beign used for things in steam

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/building-vs-combat/518

switchable hotbar between combat and build mode :smile:

what if i had 3 bows i wanted to switch between though :frowning:

Just a small answer by me: I LOVE the system of Guildwars 1, TSW or Eso … where you have access to many skills (abilities) (about 50 for Eso, hundrets in TSW or 1000+ in GW1), but only can use a maximum of 6-8 of them at a time (in the hotbar, obly able to switch them if not in combar (or in a city when refering to GW1)

This system allows thousands and millions of different builds with different play styles and also suport to playerspecific roles in the combat when in a party. And especially in GW1 I had for my main character about 40 different builds I mainly used (yeah, all of them … tried hundreds). And all the other players I knew had at least 10 different builts they used in the switch at the same time period. Skills with limited hotbar places support diffenrences in play style, not doing a railroading thing in playing.

I played ESO and TES5 (Skyrim) both for more then 50 houres and I love the mechanic of ESO, mixing the combar of the TES-Series with a very limited hotbar. Skyrim was only good because of the world and the quests, not cuz of the gameplay (in my eyes). It was just always the same.

To have a Eso-Like skillbased combat combined with 3 or 4 skills (abilities) in a hotbar (may be through item slots like backpack, Cloak, Ring, Glove, …) would be the perfect system for Oort in my eyes :wink:

1 Like

Most games allows to have 2 skillsets/weaponset equipped that you can quickswitch between. so you will just pick 2 you think are needed, this is also to limit instead of ending up with a ‘‘you can do whatever you want’’ system.

2 Likes

alright ive got a thing to show what ia mean by OP abilitites, these are abilities i cna get whitin 10 mins coming out of tutorial on ESO

These abilities can take about a third of my health away in each hit and the cooldown is very low, this is the examples of OP and they are simple attacks

also for oort i dont want messy huds they annoy me

2 Likes

Just like in Skyrim with “Y” ?
And the shard magic system is mostly passive or %chance based.

Then it’s a balancing problem, not a prob of the system itself. I also would be happy if the abilities would be something like a shockwave around the caster (for melee Chars to push enemies away), temporal buff (stimpack belt), a speedbuff (boots of running), a shield (shielding backpack) or a temporal stealth (elven cloak) … Just as small examples. The grappling hook could also be a equipment to use it next to a weapon for example.

Skills that just do massive damage are just boring. I’m more a fan of stuff like small stuns, knockdowns, snares, interception, weakness or other crowd controlling stuff. Also the ability to make areas with effects (even damage like a fire wall) would be cool and would be a good addition to single attacks. But just to have a fast and a strong attack next to block would be just boring.

3 Likes

Also, as an addition I have one heavy critic for many MMOs out there: No to long cooldowns! No skill except a resurrection or long range teleport should have a cooldown longer then a minute or two. When it needs a longer cd it’s just a to powerful skill. For example a sprinting skill don’t have to be for a minute with a cd of ten minutes. Give it a cd of 30 secs and let it hold on for 5 seconds. Or a heal should not heal 50%, just 20 or 30 with a short dc.

Even better would be if there are only cds for rez or teleport skills and the use of an energy system for others. If a short sprint uses 30 or 50 percent of your energy which needs to regenerate over time, you would have to chose if you want to use it or save the energy for other ones. On this way it would feel more free with still a mechanic for balancing.

if you are gonna limit skills to a few equipped at a time anyways that would just be illogical. i think you should have an elite skill but it should have a longer cooldown or a sort of indirect cooldown, keeping ESO for example, your ultimate used a special resource that took quite a while to regen but if you were fighting you got it back at a decent pace.