Combat Systems

im in favour of the one main ability, i think these other abilities are okay for smaller beasts but for things like titans you want to have to be more skilled to take them down, maybe the one ultimate ability but thats all in my mind

1 Like

i find when using abilities in these mmos, fights are way too easy, and would prefer a more skill based game that focuses on the players ability, cause anyone can use abilities, but when you remove abilities it gets harder, i can in a way prove this cause my mate josh is a mmo fan boy (maxed out characters on them all and he is great but when you throw skyrim at him he struggles to fight trolls.

and he blames it on the fact there isn’t any special moves (what he calls abilities)

in my opinion i think skill should tower abilities but, abilities could be in up to five but they would need to balance it so abilities are balanced, and you should be able to do everything to the same extent if not better without using abilities

so the Borderlands style ben stated could work perfectly in my mind

3 Likes

Hmm, while the ultimate skills on Eso worked well for that game I don’t think it would fit into Oort, especially when each skill is bound to an equipped item. How to manage which item slot sould be elite and which not? Also elite or ultimate skills seem to powerful often. Think of the elites in gw1: they also had cooldowns which were short, but the effect was only a slight better then the other skills. If you manage to get a right system for elite skills then those skills also should be not much better then normal ones. Strong elite skills with a long DC have two problems in my eyes:

First: they tend to be a focus of the build and are so powerful that everybody needs one to get the cut, but at the same time they are limiting the multiple possibilities of builds cuz there are only few in relation to the mass of “normal” skills.

Second: if they are strong but have a longer cd, the people would wait for his foe to fire it out and then don’t feel any strong pressure of danger anymore when hacking them down afterwards knowing that the cd gives them freedom. If they are only a little way better with slight longer DC, they would also be good choices but don’t have such problem. Fexample a light snare could slow down a foe for 5 secs while a strong one would also disable jumping or dodging for some seconds. Or a blow with a hammer knocks a foe down for a second while a strong one would leave him on ground for three seconds). For healing spells it could heal 30 instead of 20% or gives a short hot for some seconds additionally.

Strong elite skills are cool, but don’t fit into Oort in my eyes, especially when they feel slow cuz of a long DC.

2 Likes

in my mind i just honestly think these abilities don’t fit sandbox games at all and with the combat system cause remember people will be using grapples alot and most of these abilities only work when you are stationary, not when youd be flying around going in for a quick shot with a spear then getting out before you get crushed, in those scenarios i don’t think there is time for abilities, and abilities just don’t fit the area, especially with all the movement that will be happening, remember most mmos you kinda sit in the same spot when fighting bosses

not to mention the constant change in terrain that will happen as the titan blasts through hills, in order to get to you

Sandbox as a concept of open possibilities doesn’t break with condition or buff invoking skills. Even other ones would fit well as long as they are not to fixed into classes or other boundaries.

I think that the missing of some skills of that kind would let the fights be to simple and boring instead. Just let the skills be ways to enrich the combat, not a mechanic to let them simply decide who wins. If you can snare a foe for some secs it can lead to a tactical advance, but you still have to hit your enemy with your targeting and avoid his blows through intelligent dodging. Skills just don’t have to be like “BOOM! - and now I just knock you down in seconds” :wink:

id be okay with things like per combat entry you cna only use each ability once, which would force you to be tatical if that makes sense, also buf skills are alright but im meaning abilities such as, leach deals 200 damage then and addition 1000 damage over 9 seconds type skills, skills that boost you im fine with abilities that deal damage id be a no for, snares, taunts etc id be okay with.

oh and no matter how powerful you are nothing should be a 1 hit kill

1 Like

Off topic- this is the first day i havent seen a dev talk at all.

Also, think of those skills as equipment abilities. How should boots work if they may let you get some speed buff or higher jumping? What functions could a back item like a pack or cloak have? Does a helmet gives you advances next to protection? What if I can wear gloves that give me more strength or climbing abilities?.. While some may be passive, other abilities would work well her being temporary while using energy or a cd (as a reload).

If you break down 3 or 4 item slots that may be equipped with items that have a function other then simple protection it would be a good way of a limited but very flexible system of getting abilities without letting those become game breaking :wink:

1 Like

those i am fine with i just don’t like the press 3 to do leach

I am good with, Healing Abilities, and Support Abilities, Offensive Abilities are a no from me

The only use once in a fight is a way of flexible cooldown that may get annoying when fighting a titan for very long or while having a row of many fights without a break. Just let the cd be in relation to the use of the ability :wink:

Totally agree to the other points :wink:

whats DC i know CD but not DC

The only offence I would like to see are knock backs or area stuff like “throwing caltrops” or placing mines. But the last two could also be done with one-use-items (with a fitting dc)

1 Like

Oh, damnit… My mobile has auto correction. I have written to much about DC comics in the past time ;D

Knock backs i would put as support, along with Taunts (attracts monsters lets say for your party member to use potions) Snares as well would all be support.

but in my mind i think you could get away with no real abilities and put other systems, instead of healing abilities, you create potions and enchantments, instead of support abilities use poisons (snare poisons for example) these would be applied by adding one time use poisons to your weaponry, keep snares on arrows so you can apply more to swords, or in throwing darts poison a stack of them and just use them by equipping then throwing, in the inventory put 5 slots, main wep, off hand wep/shield, ranged wep, then 2 projectile slots for throwing knives, ninja stars, darts etc. then just equip them through the hotbar, F1 - F4

True, but it would feel good to have some of those without the need of constant reproduction. Also if you would have to craft or buy all uses of such stuff all would save them for the hard encounters which would lead to the problem that the most fights would feel simple and boring again :wink:

true but then it also depends on the AI the devs create, will it be simple AI, or will they be Advanced and will always change their attack patterns so no 2 fights will be the same (some will but you know what i mean)

If the ai is good and enemies would also have one or two skills, even the smallest, it would be more entertaining and fun with some skills for the player as well :wink:

And yes, more variety then just stronger ones over time :wink:

Thats true aswell. xD

im just sitting thinking of ways to not add abilities so its more player skill and equipment based

Edit: Which is the main thing i would love to see in a mmo as all the mmos currently feel the same, just different maps and enemies they carry almost a identicle combat system

Well there could still be healing spells but instead of putting them into a hotbar you would just slot them into a hand (just like in Skyrim). Same goes for destructive magic like fireballs

1 Like

they don’t plan any normal magic they have stated before they want more technology but i know what you mean