Combat Tips (For Old and New Players)

I’m sure there’s something similar to this out there in an excel spreadsheet or buried on the discord or in the portal seekers hunt info, but a quick search of these forums didn’t reveal anything here and another post prompted me to copy and paste this from our discord.

Below you’ll find some quick tips I shared with some friends as I’ve given them keys and they’ve been trying out the game. Please feel free to add your own and I’ll update the main post where I can to incorporate other people’s thoughts. This should also be helpful to new players who may be struggling on t3+ worlds.

From what I find easiest to hardest:

Wildstock: These adorable beasts do a basic charge ability. There’s three or so ways to handle them:

1.) On anything below a purple health bar you can pretty much safely strafe in circles to avoid the charge. Larger wildstock move faster and they’ll eventually out-charge your strafe speed. When doing this, try to predict aim. If you do it correctly, they’ll basically charge and make a triangle. If you shoot at the middle of the sides of the triangle they’ll make, you’ll always hit them.
2.) Pre-dig a hole at least 2x2x2 but possibly wider and deeper for the elite, larger wildstock. Then aggro them and lead them to the pit. Kill them, drop down and collect your loot.
3.) Or build a tower and grapple from it and hang at the top and shoot them down. Safest method for higher level wildstock.

Hoppers: Probably the easiest to kill but if they reach you it can be gg at higher levels with no points in armor. Try to target them first and constantly back up from them. Predict when they’ll land and shoot them there, it’s harder to hit them in the air. If they’ve “lit” themselves, then when you hit them it kinda stuns them. Don’t be in melee range when they die, they’ll blow up on death. Not too much to say here. Just try to not let them get a higher elevation and drop down on you.

Spitters: They can be somewhat tough. My tips are to run in, get a shot, then back away. Low level spitters just shoot projectiles that you can try to avoid at a distance but it’s harder to avoid them at close range. There’s a few different options again.
1.) Go REALLY close range and try to mess with their aiming by running circles around them. But they’re likely to hit you this way.
2.) Another method is get a shot off and run far enough away that they’re chasing you. Then run in and hit them as they’re running and then run away again as they get set up.
3.) Finally, you can make a wall between you and them that you can peek around and shoot them and then hide behind the wall.
Higher level spitters shoot bombs. Bombs hurt a lot so either run from the bombs or TOWARDS the spitter when they do bombs and then away again once the bombs blow up. Green bombs blow up once. Purple bombs blow up and create and spread out green bombs so environmental awareness is key at the higher levels. Spitters also don’t seem to cope very well if you’re higher elevation than they are but don’t go on a tower or anywhere stationary as you’ll need to move a lot.

Cuttletrunks: These things can move freely and they pack a punch. Unless you have high health/dmg/armor skills, probably avoid the higher level ones where possible. My only real tip is to move close to them and try to kill them before they get a shot off if you have the 3x damage skill. Otherwise you might have to build a little shelter you can peek from or play peek-a-boo behind towers with them. At higher levels you can grapple them to make them somewhat stationary. But seriously, these things have great aim and hurt without armor so be cautious around them.

With all of these enemies just pay attention to the environment and learn their combat patterns and you’ll be just fine. Remember, if you bite off more than you can chew then don’t run away in a straight line but try to put trees and rock outcroppings between you and the enemies so you aren’t being shot in the back!

5 Likes

I assume it’s Impulse Armor that helps with Cuttletrunk energy attacks?

Correct :D. Kinetic armor is more valuable as you get started, especially if soloing level 2 + 3 meteors on a T3 world but the answer to your question is yes, impulse armor.

wow! Now I realize I am a total brainless barbarian. :expressionless:
From T2 to T5 my fights look like this:

1. face the enemy and equip crossbow
  2. pew! pew! pew! pew! pew!
  3. one is dead other is alive…or both are dead.
3 Likes

I’m familiar with most of these but the 2x2x2 pit for wildstock is new to me, great tip :slight_smile:

For cuttles, definitely helps to have cover. I usually fight them around my base by ducking in and out of a doorway. Their shots home even through a wall so you can lead them into the wall much of the time.