Community Dispute Resolution

I’m getting a bit tired of seeing whining on the forums with regards to plots, plotting and players’ personal space being invaded. Very few appear to be not guilty and the first to post on the forum is the first to create drama and not solve anything. To that end, below is a simple and effective dispute resolution walkthrough.

Step 1: Am I the aggressor?
Did you do something to another player that caused them to retaliate? This includes berating or insulting another player or players (verbal abuse), taking items or claiming land that doesn’t belong to you (theft), or generally being antagonistic.

If you said yes, you are at fault and need to apologize and resolve this by:
A) Apologize to the effected parties
B) Return what doesn’t belong to you if that applies
C) Despite what happens next, do not retaliate.

If you said no, go to step 2.

Step 2: Why am I the target?
Players do things for rewards, and that includes people who grief. The person plotting next to you may be plotting because they want the footfall (a fairly innocuous reason) or because how you will respond.
Assess the situation and determine: does the behavior match someone who is trying to get a reaction (the kind of person that puts up swastikas) or are they just trying to build?

If they are trying to get a reaction, go to step 3.
If they are something else, go to step 4.

Step 3: Griefers feed on your reactions.
Every time you react, the person griefing gets what they want. Don’t react or respond.

If you did anything to react, go to step 1.
If you didn’t react, and you have been a saint so far, go to step 6.

Step 4: Ask yourself: does this really matter?
You don’t own the world (and you won’t) and as soon as you make your perfect city you will lose interest.
If none of that bothers you and you really want to care, go to step 5.

Step 5: Ask nicely.
Ask the people involved nicely if you can have your space back. If you have not retaliated or complained or generally be a turkey, folks are likely to be cool about it. Why wouldn’t they? You might need to compromise though.
If you get what you want: Awesome! Dispute Resolved!
If you don’t get what you want and take it well, go to step 6.
If you don’t get what you want and lose it, go to step 1.

Step 6: Email support
Document everything and complain privately. If you followed these instructions and didn’t act like a big ol jerk the whole time, it will be an open and shut case. Do not make a thread on the forums.

This will work 100% of the time if you are honest with yourself and the situation. You may not like that a person has plotted near your stuff, but that doesn’t mean you get to put rude signs up, or be a jerk in chat or any other ridiculous nonsense we see on a near daily basis on these forums. The planets are big enough for everyone and then some – try to remember to be excellent to each other.

21 Likes

This needs a pin, please.

5 Likes

I second this to be pinned!

This is a good post

Statement Withdrawn : Partly invalid based off of new finding.

In their eyes ((The type of people who make the posts)) it will not work 100% of the time because unfortunately. They will often disagree with the judgement that the devs pass down about the situation. Then they come here to post about it and try to stir up something. They feel like they are entitled to the space when in actuality they are not. and anything short of them getting their way. Is not good enough for them.

So unfortunately we are stuck with the following…

If you removed most of the context, this whole thing would be a good guide to the real world as well.

Unfortunately, most people don’t know how to behave in there, either.

1 Like

Good guide, should help a lot of people. If anyone else wants to find this post quickly in the future so they can link it in a relevant thread, this forum has a nice bookmarking feature. Bookmark OP’s post and it’ll always be a click away.

1 Like

I honestly was thinking of making a thread similar. I’m glad someone did it. Let’s try to make this the best community :slight_smile:

Great post, this is pinned within BUN’s yellow page directory now.