Community Opinions On Content

I post very rarely these days and am much less involved than I once was so please read my post and if you choose to reply please keep your answers on subject. If you disagree with me or think I am wrong which I may be, feel free to interject with referenced posts and factual knowledge not your opinion or guesses.

I believe the development team is avoiding the word “content”, phrases “lack of content, nothing to do, no endgame”. Every month that goes by this seems like more of a pipe dream game. I’m going to give a fair but negative review of this game as I enjoyed playing the game when I did play but wouldn’t recommend another no mans sky until someone steps up and lets the players know the realistic expectations of the game they invested in. Its time to spend less time developing chisels and small props and give some real info to players that’s relevant.

~This will also be my only post about the topic, and last post on this forum until the subject is properly addressed~

2 Likes

On one hand you are asking for opinions in the title and state your own,
but on the other you don’t want opinions as replies?

Anyway, i’ve read several times that devs want to get the core experience of the game right before they move into endgame.

And chisels were a pretty big deal for a lot of people:

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s unaddressed. It was mentioned many times that contracts will be a thing. Same as skills were mentioned and got implemented eventually, and now we have something to work with, give feedback etc.
Various ideas about NPCs were also mentioned. I never felt that developers are avoiding such topics. Also I wouldn’t like to know all the details about actual story that this game will tell, I’d rather leave that for 1.0 and enjoy full game experience unspoiled. Maybe I misunderstood you, I’m not trying to dismiss your opinion :slight_smile:

I don’t see the need for dictating how conversation will go, you can’t enforce that and just makes you look overly serious and pompous.

1 Like

I’d love to know what ‘content’ means to you. Not being sarcastic, just genuinely curious about what you’re expecting from us here.

14 Likes

To bring new content to the game e.g flying machines:

• you need to create a good looking model (low poly)
  • you need to add all the mechanics: interaction, sterring, collision
  • secure it (10x more backend work)
  • test it
  • fix bugs
    and maybe more

More on implementing new features to the game. Article on Skull Girls

Development is not easy, but the game is constantly growing. IMO giving negative review doesn’t help if you want more features to be introduced.

4 Likes

They did on their website when they said this is a Pre-Alpha and if you can’t put up with an incomplete game, you shouldn’t buy. But some people are totally ignorant.

A game called Overgrowth which I’ve been following ever since it got announced (9 years ago when I was just a kid) just reached 1.0. Was I doubtful of development progress? Yes I was. Did I moan about it like an angry boss? No I didn’t. Just wait. Find something else to do while the game reaches a state you’re happy with. Coming here and bashing the devs isn’t doing much good to be honest.

We’re gonna miss you regardless buddy.

2 Likes

Hey, can you not use a derogatory analogy like this please.

10 Likes

Sure, does “an angry boss” work better?

Yep, no problem with that one.

I will note that the dev team do appreciate people’s feedback, even if it’s negative. We’d rather hear from people about what they don’t like than have them just quit the game silently and never come back. It just helps if it’s more specific.

5 Likes

What he posted is not feedback unfortunately. It’s “I’ll quite because the devs simply don’t do what I want”. Which is kinda immature as well.

1 Like

I mean, what I got from that post was ‘I’m dissatisfied because there’s not enough content and the developers are focusing on features I think are unimportant.’ That’s feedback. If players are unhappy, we like to know why. I’d like more information from Pois0n about what features he was expecting to see, so I’m hoping that he does come back to elaborate.

7 Likes

I want to reiterate what jess and other devs have said, all feedback is useful. Let’s not jump in to “defend” the game or devs over negative reviews. Trust me, they can handle this stuff. I realize that first instinct is to defend the game we all love, but it’s not needed. Also, the name calling and insults are totally unnecessary.

Remember, this forum is for everyone to voice their honest opinion, and discuss them. Debate ideas, don’t attack people for those ideas. If you can’t be respectful, be silent.

7 Likes

ok :sunglasses: lolz

I can’t speak for Pois0n, but I feel much the same as him. I still bop in from time to time to see if it’s more playable yet, but I feel like it’s stagnated. That being said, I do recognize that the game is actively being developed and that things take a lot of time.

Right now, the most functional thing I see in making the game fun is the prestige system because it gets people involved and there are metrics for it. Other aspects of the game lack things that show progress. IE, if your character is level 1 or level 50 they look the same. If you’ve built a ton, explored a ton, killed a ton, or done any other number of things, there’s nothing to show for it that is as effective as prestige (and obviously builds).

The skills are somewhat rewarding as it makes a lot of aspects of the game easier, but it currently feels so hard to begin with that they just seem cumbersome. Comparing it to a lot of other similar games, you start out at a great disadvantage and have to level quite a bit before you feel like you’re just on a normal starting plane.

The aspects that I like lack progressive feeling, but not value. That feeling part is the key, because how the game makes me feel is what keeps me playing. I love running into random creatures, but it doesn’t take long to see everything, especially on a starter world which is where I feel I have to spend a good chunk of time before being able to explore distant worlds. You don’t have to make a lot of new models and change things up that much if there are unique-ish spawns (like elites and rares in WoW). What I feel like those unique spawns did is take a really boring thing (like grinding kills for the current quests) and add some excitement to it by knowing after you’ve killed something that a unique version of that thing could spawn in that area and drop something epic.

Then there are the drops. It is exciting for the first hour when you see the variety of drops, but there’s nothing that I’m feeling “Oooh, if I kill things for another hour, I’ll be able to do that!” I know that it’s not very practical for all creatures to drop items like hammers and things, but with the combination of how quickly things break, how many hits blocks take to harvest, how many resources tools take to make, how many different blocks there are, how many spaces we have in our inventory, the fact that it takes several levels of skill points to be able to mass craft, and the fact that you usually break tools and have to go back to your base to make more, the whole tool-durability-functionality curve is un-enjoyable at the onset. If there were chests, or abandoned huts, or just exposed tools lying on the ground/in caves it would help unburden the front end of that aspect.

Menu navigation. This one is a bit complicated, but I’ll use quests as an example. I know that means this is a specific example for all of my examples here, but it will just be easier. There’s nobody giving you the quests at the beginning, and that feels really unnatural. There has been some functionality added as to tracking various quests, etc., but it feels so clunky in the beginning. I spend as much time figuring out how to navigate the menus, find quests that I can actually do, and track them and then going back in after I’ve done them to be able to collect the reward (which, again, doesn’t come from anybody, so it’s a bit awkward as far as as story-line/adventure feeling goes) that I hate the quests in the beginning. I think that some automation added (just at the beginning until the basic functions/resources/leveling is done) would do wonders for making the start of the game more fluid. Make the automation an option for those who don’t like it.

I tried ignoring the quests and just playing the game like MC, but it’s not that playable because I compare it to MC. It’s soooo good in looks and music, and potential builds (that you can see by looking at other people’s stuff), but it feels impossible to get from where I am at as a beginner to where they are at at. It is also different enough in many ways that the controls don’t feel intuitive. I only noticed this after taking a long break and coming back. Sure, you can learn them. But stuff, especially combat, feels clunky.

2 Likes