Compact and refined Oort

Since we have a hard cap of 900 Oort worth of fuel for our portals it’d be nice if we could extend the life of portal fuel. I understand that Oort can already be extracted into shards which is what we use as fuel. However if we could compact and/or also refine it for even longer fuling possibilities it would certainly help quality of life. Right now keeping massive portals open is a nightmare. Quite literally if you go out for an extended weekend an unattended large portal will not last. Just something I’ve heard a lot of chatter about but haven’t seen anyone bring up.

12 Likes

This would be great. I understand they want portals to require some amount of maintenance, but I feel like at least a full week for the largest portal isn’t unreasonable if it’s sufficiently expensive.

1 Like

I vote less maintenance, lol.

I want to load them up and not think about them. There are other things to do.

1 Like

Same, compact oort must be a thing in future.

I actually have a feeling that the unreleased Blink or Rift stones may act as more powerful portal fuels; like how Coal and Hard Coal generate more Heat/Spark. The stones already exist in the game’s data (you can see them with request baskets) and nothing seems to be made with them. The names “Blink” and “Rift” are also very portal sounding.

These blocks are already happening afaik, probably when specials get released. Idk if they will be usable as fuel, though… It’s a nice idea
@Sparklepuss tools and weapons will be made from them too

2 Likes

If anything they’ll be fuel for better machines. However I sincerely doubt any of those new gems are going to be for portal fuel. Would be a bit of let down if they were and it’d make Oort stone obsolete.

1 Like

Probably Oort stones/shards would still be an ingredient in crafting the new fuel, so they wouldn’t be completely obsolete.

Specials wont be fuel, they are a higher tier of equipment. They will be made to make the same kinds of things that gems are.

Oortstone is a strange one, as it doesn’t fit in with gems or specials really, but it is sorta a special :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Frankly I don’t care how it’s done. I think we’d all like a way to extend portal fuel possibilities. Compacting and refining Oort just sounds like a logical addition to the game.

Maybe portal blocks should work kind of like how Spark generators work, When you connect more then one spark Gen together, each one adds another slot for coal to be converted into spark.

If they make it such that, the larger your portal is, the more slots you have for fuel. That would fix this problem with out also adding the extra step of compacting the fuel.

I also feel this way might be a little better, because it will prevent people from turning around and saying something along the lines of

“Well now I have this compact oort. I can fuel my 1x2 portal for 3 months at a time now. Why am I not allowed to do that with my larger portal?”