Compactness Question

Np your welcome had to puzzle it all out on my Terra Nova build :wink:

OK, I just realised… does that mean 0-1 = bad and 10 = good?

100 is the best. 1 is bad, a negative number is really bad.
You’ll lose ff at some point and if you go negative, the beacon is automatically reported to the devs for them to see if it’s compliant or needs to be edited/removed.

1 Like

After I replotted and gave some of my plots to my brother, his is now 0. So trying to fix that now. :smiley:
I didn’t realise it goes up to 100. I thought it was 1 to 10. :smiley:

Thanks.

1 Like

Another question… if someone else is plotting the “reserved” plots around my base… does it still count as “mine” and therefore my rating goes down or does it consider the foreign base fulfilling my obligation to plot properly and therefore forfeits the bad rating and neutralises it? (so to speak). Because otherwise, that would mean people would have to move and re-base/re-plot completely to be able to fulfill the compactness rating?!

These maps are more than a month old, but you can select your planet & see what is compact (purple) and what is not (yellow). https://maps.playboundless.com/
Circ for example:

Sorry was paying attention to the hunt.

If someone plots your reserved plots, your compactness goes up because you lose reserved plots.

Also your beacon should be fine so long it has a 0/1 (or higher) rating. Negative is bad as your beacon will become [lets call it] “inactive” (You don’t lose it) and loses the the prestige, ability to reserve and generate footfall.

Here is a shot of my place at releas and changes i had to make.

at release the orange roads where not compact at all.
red (left side) left,
green are added claims of others (Currently there is more claimed one on the right and top side).
blue are the filler plots i claimed to remove the reservation plots.

You can use an other beacon to fill in the reserved plots. You have to keep in mind if someone else plots they can also leave and generate the same problem.

Compactness update was added to avoid abuse of the plot protection. As some used it to reserve more land than they actually could plot (a :o: Within a :o: And the space between te circles where covered with active reservation plots). This is one of the main reasons this is added.

So basically to avoid spaghetti on the planet surface.

If you like i can come by and plot a few plots for you. Just send me a pm to where i have to go.

Again when i say “inactive” i don’t mean it disappears. Just that it won’t generate reservation, prestige or footfall. And if it gets reported it could get removed after inspection.

Small tip if you’re brothers plot surface has a lot of single plots that stick out of the “group” like so;
:free:reservation
:zero:Plot sticks out of group
:one:plot group

:free::free::free::free::free::free::free:
:free::free::zero::free::free::free::free:
:free::one::one::one::one::free::free:
:free::one::one::one::one::free::free:
:free::one::one::one::one::zero::free:

If you add to those compactness should go up also gaps in the group can cause compactness losse like this;
:pause_button:Reservation win plot group

:free::one::one::one::one::one::free:
:free::one::one::one::one::pause_button::free:
:free::one::one::one::one::pause_button::free:

Hi!

Yeah, I had a look at the map and thought all was good but I got all these error messages when I logged in and whenever I plotted, so I thought my compactness was really bad, even though the map didn’t really show it. But it’s also pretty outdated…

So this was my/our base a month ago. Mine is now completely underwater, I removed 2 long bridges - no one seemed to use them anyway and rather just grapple across. :smiley: Instead I’ve got much shorter tunnels in currently 3 of the 4 directions. So as you’ve seen, my base is much more square now than it ever was (red is what I am atm. plus 3 little arms N/W/S).
The green part is now my brother and he’ll have major issues keeping his compactness above 0. Though taking over part of my base so I could move made his rating worse. The part above the two markers will disappear eventually, when I managed to move my buildings elsewhere. But that’ll take a while, they are pretty builds and I basically want to copy them. :smiley: before I let nature reclaim them.

So hopefully after I moved those, this will solve my compactness rating, if I understood all your posts correctly.

Thanks a lot @Tmmk and @majorvex. Your help is very much appreciated!

Edit: slightly changed my scribbles as they were incorrect :smiley:

3 Likes

Bridging settlement errors?

No, the “your compactness is critical it needs fixing” erros. Though my brother earlier (after shifting plots from me to him) had “your compactness is so bad, you totally have no prestige anymore dude so go and fix” message.

So in hindsight, i should have left it as it was as I made his situation worse despite the fact that we “straightened” (literally) some things out. :smiley:

One question is it all 1 beacon then or multiple beacons. As most of the compactness issues can also be solved by splitting up a beacon.

Also fattening up these parts might bring up the rating to.

Using multiple beacons to circumvent the compactness system is against the rules.
Up to the devs to decide case by case :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’s literally 3 beacons. Mine, my brother’s and my alt. So 2 massive plots and one smaller one for my alt.

If you abuse it as before the compactness update. Yes :wink: not what im suggesting. Using multiple plotted (touching) Beacons to fill in problem zones is ok. Had that conversation with James :wink:.

That’s what we’ve done earlier today after our little disaster to get back on at least rating 1 (and I told my brother to fix that for weeks now but… you know as it is… deaf ears and such…)

1 Like

I also don’t like multiple beacons, simply for the fact that if you don’t have the gleam club you have to run around and refill all the beacons. i am here for fun, not for work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway all i can say is if the location is under one beacon the other thing left to do is replotting it and splitting it up.

Or claiming more terrain in the inner corner.
(Make it nice and square).

1 Like

That’s the plan for my plot, my new base design was based on square’ness. :wink: My brother however will be the more difficult one to sort out, but with all that info, we’ll find a way, I am sure. Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes